Travel suggestions from Prague to Brno in January

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by DJ Laguna, Oct 13, 2004.

1. DJ Laguna

DJ Laguna Member

Ahoj!

I am new to the boards and would appreciate any info about recommendations about traveling from Prague to Brno. Cost is not my main concern. I am considering renting a car, but not sure of safety in winter months, considering I have no experience driving in this country. I am wondering about bus transportation for myself and my girlfriend who is a native of Brno, we will have luggage and am looking for comfort and shortest possible driving time. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Having never driven in the Czech Republic, I can't advise on renting cars, road, conditions, etc.; however, if you're looking for bus/train routes from Prague to Brno, look up http://www.vlak-bus.cz/ConnForm.asp to find routes. It doesn't appear that they give routes more than about a month or so in advance, however, so you'll probably want to recheck the routes closer to your travel date. The site is in Czech, but your Czech girlfriend can surely read it alright. I did a quick search, and it appears that a fast train (abt. 2hrs, 50min) does not take much longer than the average bus (2hrs, 30min), plus it has the added advantage of being able to get up and stretch your legs during the trip. If, however, you're flying in to Prague and wanting to immediately head off to Brno, it might be more convenient to take a bus to Brno directly from the Prague airport (3hrs, 30min--the ones marked "Praha,, Letiste Ruzyne").

3. DJ Laguna

DJ Laguna Member

Thank you Sova for the information, I was leaning toward the train myself, but my girlfriend said it took much longer for travel time. I am reluctant to drive so I think this is a good alternative. Thanks Again!

4. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

If cost is not your concern, take some of those EC/IC trains. Some buses are also really nice, probably the best one travelling Brno - Praha is Student Agency. They take 2:30 from Praha - Florenc, 3:30 from Ruzyne.

5. DJ Laguna

DJ Laguna Member

Halef,

This is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks so much for the info!