Trying to find family, Knobloch from Falkenau

Discussion in 'Looking for Ancestors' started by Alexandra, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Alexandra

Alexandra Guest

Hello, may I just say what a marvelous site I found today. I have been aware that my family moved out of Falkenau, during the war sometime to Vienna My gramdmother was called Ida, Knobloch.
    She had five sisters, Ella was one, I think Hermina but they all got seperated would love to trace anything about these names. Also my grandfather was Karl knobloch born around 1910 1917 ish is ther any way I could find out Thank you Alex.

2. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

3. Zeisig

Zeisig Well-Known Member

I have a suspicion that these Knoblochs (Ida, Hermina, Karl, ...) were ethnic Germans. The feminine form of the surname Knobloch remains Knobloch in German (Knobloch/Knoblauch means garlic).

The unabridged name of the town is Falkenau an der Eger (in Czech: Falknov nad Ohří till 1945, Sokolov now).

The vast majority of the ethnic Germans were expelled from Czechoslovakia after the WW2 because of their disloyalty.

4. Alexandra

Alexandra Guest

Hello, thank you for your replys, its all very interesting. I know that my mother was born in Bratislava in 1937 and called Dorothea. But before that the family lived in Wieldstien in Falkenau.,or so I was told. they moved out of the area before the war had ended to Wein in Austria. I dont know much more about it . thank you for your interest Alex.

5. wer

wer Well-Known Member

That's probably Wildstein (today Skalná), a town nearby Cheb, formerly in district Falkenau (today Sokolov).