warning - e-mail scam targeting Czech tutors

Discussion in 'General Language' started by pacific, Aug 3, 2006.

1. pacific

pacific Member

I just wanted to share with those that could be affected by this that I've been getting some spam/scam e-mails in my gmail account, requesting Czech lessons for the sender's supposed 16-year-old son. The sender (and I've gotten several messages like this from senders by different names - or the same person with multiple aliases) e-mails me, asking me to quote a price for two months of Czech lessons for his son, and says he will pay the amount and send his son to live in my city. He says he will wire the money, of which a portion will go to me and a portion to cover the son's living expenses. The guy says his name is Anthony Lagrosa and he's from France. I've gotten other messages with different sender names, which I didn't even open. Didn't write the names down, though. They sounded pretty Anglo.

I have not been replying to these requests. I did the first time, thinking the request for lessons was legitimate. Now I'm certain it's a scam with some of the characteristics of the Nigerian advance fee fraud. See wikipedia for more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance_fee_fraud. Just thought others may benefit from this info.

I see this so-called Mr. Lagrosa has been up to no good in the "pet business" as well: http://www.kittenlist.co.uk/index.php?page=scams. The website I cited here also includes a good description of how the type of 'cashiers cheque? or 'wired money' scam works.

2. pacific

pacific Member

Just got another e-mail of the same type today - i.e. fraud. Here is the text:

Hello,
    My name is Mrs Laura Regina, i just mail to confirm if you can help me teach my 18yrs old son how to speak Czech Language. Regards and hope to hear fromyou soon.
    Thanks

The e-mail address it came from: cutelaura005@yahoo.co.uk

I will keep adding these people's messages and e-mail addresses to this thread, so that they come up as spam for people doing a google search.

Unfortunatelly, it is this website these spammers get their info from. I know this since the e-mail address to which I've been receiving the fraudulent messages is only posted on locallingo in the Czech teacher directory.

Another: from lagrosa anthony <antlagros@yahoo.com>

My name is Mr Lagrosa Anthony, am from France, on searching for a teacher that can take my son ( james ) for a czech languge tution, and he is a very easily catch up child ,so on surfing through the internet i saw your advert stating that you are able to teach well and decide to contact you, and i believe you can take care of that very well,but i will like to know the following details like;

1.YOUR COUNTRY...

2.CHARGE FOR AN HOUR....

3.TOTAL CHARGES FOR A MONTH THAT THEY WILL BE TAUGHT 3 TIMES PER WEEK..

4.YOUR PHONE NUMBER

3. SMZ

SMZ Well-Known Member

Good heavens, this scam goes further than I knew...

I have gotten similar messages from someone who supposedly wants music lessons for his/her child. Not sure how they got my contact info (I'm a part-time harp teacher) but they knew to ask specifically for harp lessons. Weird.

Good reminder to beware of these vague messages from unknown persons!

Susan

4. pacific

pacific Member

spencer dwane
    <spedneer@yahoo.com>
    Aug 8

Good day to you over there, I need a tutor for my daughter
    (ross)for the month of aug/sep, i got your advert
    while surfing through the internet and i really want my child
    to be taught by you.ross is 15 year old and easily catch
    up.Although,i understand you are in (US} but i've arranged with my
    Nanny client living there that my daughter is coming to stay with
    her for her period of tutoring and she has agreed with me,i am
    based in switzerland ..kindly get back to me with......

1.YOUR CHARGE FOR AN HOUR....

2.TOTAL CHARGES FOR 1 MONTH THAT SHE
    WILL BE TAUGHT 3 TIMES PER WEEK..

3.FULL NAME AND ADDRESS

4.YOUR PHONE NUMBER..."
    i will like you to know that payment will be in form of money order or cashier check and will drawn from a Us bank
    THANKS

5. pacific

pacific Member

ortega hanson
    <ortega_hanson01@yahoo.ca>

Hello Good day to you over there, I need a tutor for my son
    (joe), i got your advert while surfing through the internet and i really
    want my child to be taught by you.JOE is 17 year old and easily catch
    up.Although,i understand you are in (usa} but i've arranged with my
    cousin sister living there that my son is coming to stay with her for
    his period of tutoring and she had agreed with me,i was base in
    switzerland

1.CHARGE FOR AN HOUR.... 2.TOTAL CHARGES FOR 2 MONTH THAT HE
    WILL BE TAUGHT 3 TIMES PER WEEK.. 3.FULL NAME AND ADDRESS 5.YOUR PHONE NUMBER

~~~

Another: paul bill
    <paul_bill101@yahoo.com>

Same text as above. These all seem to be written by the same person or they could also be fill-in-the blank templates filled in and sent by various people from various locations (judging from thte uk & ca tags in e-mail addresses).

~~~~
    And another with a slightly different spin:

from curioustoknowjulie292006@gmail.com

Hello,
    i am Julie Larks in UK i m working in oil company so my Tinny is coming to USA to stay with a clinet of mine and also to finishe her school education.so i needed a tutor class for my child(Tinny).so when i am serchinng the internet,i saw your ads so interested.She will be staying with a client of mine therein USA.Meanwhile,i will like you to let me know how you charge for fees for the months of Oct-Jan
    Regards Julie

6. magan

magan Well-Known Member

I am floored how "popular" are you. This seems like one person is writing letter and others are sending it out. Not very well organized considering that they are using your address so many times. Sadest thing of all is that there is so many English/Czech young "language tutors" in CR who may not be familiar with this garbage.
    Good idea to post it here I think.
    There are number of websites with listings of such, but I didn't see your version.
    http://hoaxbusters.ciac.org/HBHoaxIndex.html#scams

7. eso

eso Well-Known Member

I was contacted in personal inbox by user chuks. He sent me a few small talk messages and then tried scam to me:

So I answered him:

Really!? Wow! So I will be a rich man!!!! Tell me more!

Actually, no, no, I'm kidding. I wan't buy that.

In fact, accidents happen to people like you in our country:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/2780259.stm

;)

8. eso

eso Well-Known Member

9. Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Pacific, thanks for starting the thread and posting your warning. We're sorry to see that you are getting the scam emails.

Eso, after I saw your post on the 1st, I immediately banned the member that sent you the scam PM. In the future, if you or any other member feels they have received an inapproriate private message, please PM "My Czech Republic" and we will deal with it. Thanks!

10. ArieA

ArieA Active Member

Eso, one word: Skvělé!
    :lol:

11. pacific

pacific Member

Now the scam is taking a different turn. The person is requesting translation services (actually interpretation, but s/he apparently doesn't know the difference). Notice the same punctuation problems as the previous emails reprinted above.

Here is the text of the email:

Jeff Pire <jeffpre_231@yahoo.co.uk>

Hello,

I am Mr John Pire.Am an English speaking Engineer staying in UK.I will be coming over to Portland, OR on holidays for 2 weeks in the Month of October,from the 29th of October and leave on the 12th of November.I am coming for Vacation with my newly married Czech wife.My wife Mrs Dane Pire only speaks Czech and My native language,because her mum happens to come from Russia which I am also from.

We will require the services of an English to Czech Translater for 2 hours daily,for 5 days that will be suitable for You within the period that We will be staying.We will like to pay in advance of our visit so she can be assured of an Translater during her shopping and sightseeing because this is her first visit.An early reply will be appreciated.

Please acknowledge if you can offer this service and give me a price quote,as soon as you receive this email, so we can conclude on all other arrangemnts ASAP, as time is not really on our side.

Remain Blessed,

John Pire.