Wedding 2 words CZ - >EN

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by pebbles, Jan 29, 2008.

1. pebbles

pebbles New Member

:oops: new to posting, please can you translate the quote "i do" my daughter is getting married in Prague next year and we would like to include this on the invitations etc, many thanks

2. jen

jen Well-Known Member

In wedding ceremonies here, one says "yes" - "ano".

3. pebbles

pebbles New Member

:) thank you very much, i'll put that suggestion to my daughter.

4. Dannae

Dannae Well-Known Member

I do not know from what cultural background you came from - but I believe if your daughter gets married in Prague, you need much more information here (apart from "I do"). I am serious.

5. meluzina

meluzina Well-Known Member

if a foreigner gets married anywhere in the czech republic, an official certified translator must be present - at a cost of course - they did make an exception for me though :D

6. Dannae

Dannae Well-Known Member

To be absolutely specific - if the foreigner does not understand Czech, he must have an interpretor, otherwise the marriage is null and void. If he speaks Czech, no translator needed.

7. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

To get the marriage license, official documents such as birth cert or divorce judgments must be translated as well.

8. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

When I married Frank here in Olomouc (in 2000), he did not speak Czech (not a single word). So I taught him how to say "ano" - after a week or so all he was able to say was something sounding like "I know". As I was a licensed interpreter myself, we did not have to hire another one; however, I did not interpret the ceremony at all - I just squeezed his hand when he was supposed to say that important word.

9. meluzina

meluzina Well-Known Member

the version that gets translated also has to have an apostille issued by the secretary of state from the state that issued it (in the case of the u.s.) might be different for some other countries...

10. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

"Berete si zde přítomnou ..."

Frank: "I know" (what else I can do) ;-)

11. Dannae

Dannae Well-Known Member

I know! That one I called "apostile madness" :roll:. The US birth certificate is usually already undersigned (not sure, but I think it must be a copy not older than 1 year - I had to reapply for my sons' birth certificate recently since I filled for his Czech bith certificate too) but everything else needs to be notarized before sending it to the Office of Great Seal. And translated afterwords including apostile.
    If you go the other way, it is similar. In CR everything must be certified twice (birth certificate, divorce papers, marriage certificate, school diploma) and there are even different locations where to certify them. For your degree certification you go to the Ministry of Education etc. I remember this, it was crazy ...