What do Czechs really think about American women?

Discussion in 'Culture' started by cechofil, Jan 3, 2005.

1. cechofil

cechofil Well-Known Member

I really would like to know this. I imagine that Czechs (like other Europeans) have a lot of negative pre-conceived notions of what we are like. For instance, my Czech friend was surprised that I was American and not fat. He was also surprised by my interest in the CR and other things as well. I think he is too polite to give me the unvarnished truth so I am trusting fellow members to tell me how it really is. Maybe then I will understand why the snickering from the young female hotel clerks where I was staying. Fortunately, I had better reactions from the men. Thanks for any insights on this.

2. ts

ts Active Member

American women are fat, ugly, loud, sue-happy feminists. They bitch, moan or complain about anything, no matter how insignificant or stupid the problem is. They have sex on the first date and have a new boyfriend each week. Sometimes they forget to dump the old one.

In general, Americans are regarded as both stupid and uneducated. The knowledge of geography and awareness of the existence of the outside world is very low. In spite of this, Americans have extremely high self-confidence. They also think that being an American makes them special and that they deserve to be treated better than other people.

3. cechofil

Thanks for the feedback ts. I am sure that my friend would not have been so frank about this. It is unfortunate that I know women who do fit your description. I agree with you about the lack of awareness of the rest of the world and some of your other comments are not unfounded. Well now, I guess that I am lucky I was not pelted with rocks when I got off the plane and that I only got away with some snickering. I am now curious about this now, just how many dates before Czech women have sex?

4. iluvuma1

iluvuma1 Well-Known Member

My gosh! If that is what Czechs think of Americans- why do so many try to immigrate here???

5. ts

ts Active Member

You should have asked your friend; the Czechs are known for their impoliteness and sincerity. Of course, it is not easy to tell these things to an American, simply out of the fear of giving the impression that the speaker actually believes in such prejudices.

I have no explanation for the snickering. I don't think Czechs laugh at or make fun of Americans every time they spot one. I would be inclined to believe that the snickering had nothing to do with you at all, unless you did something stupid, behaved in a very stereotypical way, or both.

I don't know how many dates before Czech women have sex. Good girls don't have sex on the first date, that's all I know. (In order not to discourage anyone from visiting the Czech Republic: Prague's bars and clubs are full of bad girls.)

6. iluvuma1

How ever offensive your comments may seem to Americans- Unfortunately some of it is true. However, it is important to note that not all American women are fat and uneducated. I hope the readers in this forum understand that many Americans are put off by the gluttony and frivolity of its SOME of its inhabitants and advertisers.
    Also keep in mind that America can be described as a capitalistic machine that keeps its inhabitants working in a small cubicle/office for 10+ hours a day on their rears tied to a computer/phone. This includes the fat mothers who go home to thier fat kids and have little time to exercise and have sapped energy.
    Also it is interesting to note that most of the rich people here are not fat, but the poor people are. (The majority, anyway.)

7. ts

ts Active Member

Cechofil asked for negative notions. I did not mention positive personality traits of Americans that Czechs admire.

By the way, why do YOU think Czechs want to immigrate to the US?

8. iluvuma1

I would presume that the Czechs that I know here immigrated mainly because they have an opportunity to save a lot of money- and go back to their country where our dollars will go a lot further. (At least for the time being!!!) Again- the majority I have met just wanted to make money- and then go home.

The Czechs I know here are tireless and will work very hard. They know how to stretch thier money. They are very savvy and thrifty.

9. ts

ts Active Member

From the way you worded the question I feared that you believe that Czechs move to the US for their love for Americans, American lifestyle and freedom.

10. iluvuma1

My personal friend has confessed to me not only did he want to save money when he came to America- but he wanted to see Michael Jordan play basketball, and watch Madonna and Michael Jackson perform. (At this point- he's done none of the three yet- and won't have the opportunity to unless he sees Madonna on this "last" tour.)
    He's also told me in Czech clubs, etc. they play American music. I found this stunning- since he didn't speak a word of English when he came here. I couldn't imagine listening to music that I didn't understand at all.
    If I were to bet TS, I would say you are resentful of American culture and its influence in CR. I would also guess you are over the age of 30. I KNOW that Czechs like American pop culture, and are inspired to come to America to experience it. However- I think they are disheartened once they get here and see what everyday living is like. (Not so glamorous.)

11. paulthevol

paulthevol Active Member

I've got to jump in on this one!! For the most part, American women are over weight, fat, plump, and or obese. Every time I return to the States from an overseas trip, this is one of the things that strike me. American woman tend to be heavier then most women (except for maybe the German women) in the world. This might be another generalization, but in my mind, it's a fact. Hell, a lot of American men are lard asses as well, so lets not just single out the women. Americans are definitely lazy, which is why their fat. American women are just as beautiful as women from other parts of the world; we just have to sort through the fat women first to find the attractive ladies.

However, I must defend American women! They don't always sleep around on the first date. Sure maybe a lot of the liberal sluts in California or New York are easy, but this is not a common occurrence. You can’t believe everything you see in American films.

Paul

12. cechofil

Ok ts, you responded that you did not mention any of the positive traits that Czechs admire about American women because you were not asked. And you are right, I didn't ask. But now, I am asking. So tell me, what would be some positive things that Czechs would say about American women? Based on the outward hostility in your first post, I would be interested to hear if you happen to have an alternate point of view.

13. iluvuma1

I think you're asking the WRONG guy about positive American traits... He seems a bit hostile.

14. cechofil

You are probably right iluvuma1, although people can surprise you and it's just possible ts does have one good thing to say. In any event, I did ask for a candid answer to my question and it certainly was an unabashed one.

15. ts

ts Active Member

What do y'all mean by hostile? You asked for "negative pre-conceived notions" and that's exactly what you got. What did you expect, honestly? That someone will tell you how much Czechs love Michael Jackson?

Speaking of that sicko Jackson, American music is quite popular, although not as much as European. Here's a club top list, see for yourself: http://www.factorytop40.cz/chart.php . What's really popular, though, are American movies and, to some degree, tv series; this is the way Czechs learn about American culture.

To learn and experience this culture, some Czechs want to visit the US for a short period of time, that is for sure. I don't think that that is the main reason why Czechs want to immigrate. To them, money has much stronger appeal.

Back to the things I wrote in my original post, those are not my opinions, for those who did not get it. It's what I think some Czechs might think about Americans. Some of the stereotypes are based on the American movies and tv series. Although they are pure fiction, series like Beverly Hills 90210 and Melrose Place give some ideas about American dating habits, whether you like it or not.

My experience with American women is rather limited. That and the fact that Czechs are used to criticize rather than flatter make it really hard for me to come up with positive traits. Nevertheless, I found some:

The ones that make it across the ocean are not stupid or uneducated. Their knowledge of geography is sufficient. They are independent. They are a bit overweight, but this is compensated by their self-confidence. I prefer that over some nervous twiggy with eating disorder.

Iluvuma1, why don't you tell us about why your fiance/husband(?) likes you?

16. Eva2

Eva2 Well-Known Member

I'm sure that the Americans we encounter on this forum neither stupid nor uneducated. The proof is that they are here to find information.

Unfortunately, in foreign parts Americans are preceded by the reputation of inflated ego but preconceived notions usually dissipate on contact.

Also, very few Czechs are brutally sincere, thank God.

17. yotes_hockey

yotes_hockey Member

I think a big reason why many American women are perceived as uneducated, is because that is how most American women act, even if they really are intelligent underneath. If you asked most American men what they favor most in a women, they will say they want a woman that is smart and has a good personality. When in reality, they want someone less intelligent than themselves and better looking. Almost all of the intelligent women that I know do not have good relationships, and many have been told that their intelligence is intimidating. These are not ugly, fat women, they just have big fat brains. So in order to "land a man," many women resort to acting like a sterotypical bimbo.

18. KJP

KJP Well-Known Member

I am going to ring in here, lessen we forget what Jaromir Jagr said on National TV in America, when asked why he isnt yet married and if he would consider marring an America woman.

He replied: absolutely not, America women are greeding and self centered (plus a bunch more). Jagr seems to forget :
    a: diplomacy, he has none
    b: you have just insulted the country that made you what you are, gave you your money, and a career not possible where you are from.

That stupid B******

But in the end, as an American, I too would not consider an American woman. When friends ask why, I tell them, "here people ask me my name first, then they ask where I am from (like its important, it is here)

In America, women ask me my name first, then ask how much do I have!

Naw, anyone but an America women (I have 7 sisters in case you havent noticed)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But TS went to far, and made overgeneralizations, and when we overgeneralize, we show a lack of education.

BTW TS- how hard did the Americans laugh when they introduced DJ Bobo at the music awards! Everyone asked DJ who????????????

We never really liked Queen as much as Europeans either, and Robbie Robinson has to be the most concieted guy on earth!

19. uuspoiss

uuspoiss Well-Known Member

I don't think so. It was an answer to the posted question in the form of a list of the "negative pre-conceived notions". I agree that all these things really are what constitute the prevailing negative image, at least in Eastern/Central/whatever Europe. TS's answer was simply not filtered by diplomacy. It does not mean that any of us (TS or me included) actually have to agree to these notions or believe them to be true.

20. brigitte

brigitte Well-Known Member

Agreed. The same happens in the UK too, there are women who dumb themselves down to get a man. I won't dumb myself down for no man. Men are often intimidated by intelligent women, although they are forever saying they like a woman who is just being herself, being natural. I do not like it if I am having a conversation with a man, and he patronises me. This is when my attitude comes in, and then it creates an argument. My personality has never stopped me getting a man - and I won't dumb down for anyone, I wouldn't be true to myself if I did. The men I get on with are those that accept me for my knowledge and learning, and treat me on an equal footing. I would feel very uncomfortable acting a bimbo.