What do Czechs think of Canada/Canadians?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous (Czech-Related)' started by devo, Mar 5, 2005.

1. devo

devo Member

The thread about how Australia is portrayed by Czechs inspired this thread.

I was curious as to how Czechs think of Canada and Canadians. Is there a good deal of knowledge about Canada by the average Czech? Do they view Canada as good, bad, or are they indifferent towards Canada? What are common perceptions about Canadians and Canada? Do they view Canada as an unofficial part of the USA?

I am very curious, please respond if you are a Czech or have spent a great amount of time in the Czech Republic. Thank you!

2. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

Blame Canada! :D

I think of Canada as a nice, likeable country. But I have never been to it. I hav only seen "South park", "Bowling for Columbine" and some nature documentaries :)
    I also like the French language, so this gives Canada another good mark in my view.
    Your ice-hockey players are not viewed too good - they are considered very violent and aggressive :)
    Common perceptions? Canada generally does not raise any perceptions, it is too far away, looking for itself. There might be one - there are only lumberjacks, hockey players and RCMP members in Canada :)
    Canada surely is not viewed as a part of the USA.

3. fabik317

fabik317 Well-Known Member

excellent hockey, beautiful nature, all in all resonable state policy (unlike the U.S.), Alanis Morisette, Leonard Cohen and NEIL YOUNG!

bottom line - Canada rocks!

4. devo

devo Member

thank you very much for your responses. Please, everyone, keep them coming!
    I am kind of dissapointed that Czechs view Candaian hockey players as dirty and unfair. We are aggressive, but it is because we are very pasionate about our game as it is probably the one thing that stands us apart from every other country. Sure some players may be unfair here and there, but so do players on every country. We play rough, but clean, and have many finesses and skillfull players that are the best in the world in my opinion. We are no more dirty than the finns, or russians (who are notorious for being violent) or even the Czechs.
    We, as Canadians, respect Czech hockey players and their program so much! You have so many good players and goalies and we really admire your program and results. You were arguably the best country in hockey between the years 1998 and 2001 after winning the Olympics and numerous world and world junior hockey championships. Canadians were disapointed that we did not win because we desperatly need hockey to be our game and to be the best at it because it is our identity, but we had such great respect and admiration for Czech hockey during this time, and still do. Czech hockey is looked on as the 2nd or 3rd best hockey country in the world right now by Canadians (in my opinion, 2nd). I'd rather play any other country than the Czech Republic because I am scared of their talent.
    Sorry for blabbing on, but it is just too bad that the respect we have of Czech hockey does not seemed to be returned :(

5. evian

evian Well-Known Member

In Australia Canadians are viewed as friendly, peacefull people surrounded by beautiful nature. This view however, is only particularly extended to those of British Columbia. Not much is known of Quebec & the other Eastern regions.
    As for the country itself.....those who have visited say its almost identical to New Zealand only in the Northern Hemisphere.
    The Canadian people are seen much differently to the Americans, who on a majority basis aren't looked at that highly from an Australian perspective.

6. Carmilie

Carmilie Member

Most czech people I know love Canada. Many czechs emigrated to Canada during communism so they are very gratefull. My father being one of them and I know he considers Canada his second home.