What do Czechs think of Germany?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous (Czech-Related)' started by Retired Dictator, Apr 13, 2005.

1. evantula

evantula Active Member

How very, very true! European Union, MY FOOT! Each couple of generations it's called something else ... this Century it's European Union ... Czech's, take great care of your beautiful country and watch out ... :!:

2. eso

eso Well-Known Member

For clarification - Probably never in past were Czech-German relations so good, especialy in border areas.

And I know about American prejudice to EU (and to Europe alone), but it seems, that EU is here for stay for some time, so please accept it :)

At end of this year for example Czech border crossings disappear and you will recognize border only by sign by road.

3. Averell

Averell Active Member

where did you read that? i think you're still a little stuck in the last century. and if something like that has ever been said by any german, then it's only a very small percentage of people that think like that - and those people you will find in any country

i am german and 35 years old - i live in brno, have a company, and employ czech, english and german people. i don't f..... care what happened 60 years ago. it may not be forgotten, but it does not determine my everyday life. i treat people like i want to be treated and live very well by that.

4. wer

wer Well-Known Member

No, Averell, he is not stuck somewhere in the past. That’s today’s reality. Such demands come on the daily basis from people like Edmund Stoiber. :(
    Yes, that’s right. Only a little of Germans think like that, but it doesn’t mean it isn’t problem.
    Yes, but in most of countries the majority don’t allow these people to dominate the relations with other states. (But it is still better with Germany than with Austria.)
    Nice Multi-Kulti ignorance. That’s exactly what I’m scared of. Instead of pacifying your contrymen with extreme demands, you ignore them because your are not interested.

5. wer

wer Well-Known Member

That’s a cliché :wink:. The Czechoslovakian relations with the Weimar Republic in the 20’s were better 8).

Is the EU uncriticizable? 8)

Maybe (!) the passport controls, but definitely not the border crossings.

6. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Dear Eso, as an American, I just want to say... I hate that piece of #@!#@! EU!!!!!! :twisted:

As your online friend, I figured I'd validate your statement! :wink:

7. BMoody

BMoody Well-Known Member

Averell, I don't mean to say that everyone can't simply get along, but I am argueing against forgetting the past. I lived in Germany for 10 years and did not hold any animosity towards the Germans, but, then again, my true home in the U.S. is over an entire ocean. My home town was not invaded in WWII, and my family has not known the turmoil of war at home since the Civil War. With this in mind, interestingly enough, we in America have coined the term "eternal vigilence" in regard to our security and legislative rights. We must live in peace but never stop evaluating our liberties and foreign relations. We aren't the best at it, I must admit, but the fact is that we still do it. For me to tell a Czech to never worry about Germany or Russia as competitors or invaders again would be hypocritical.

These ideas do not deny someone from interracting, working, marrying, loving, or trading with Germans, but they do recognize the fact that if there was a war between the Germans and Czechs (wouldn't happen in even the distant foreseeable future), I garantee you that the Czechs would defend the Czech Republic, and the Germans would defend Germany. More realistically, conflict is to take place politically and issues are drawn along national lines. It is the "us vs. them" concept that occurs every day even over such issues as the border town signs. It is, at its base, nationalism and pride and defense of one's home. Look at that accused rapist German boy in Turkey. The Germans want him back in Germany... but why? The Turkish courts are just as good right??????? It is a nationalistic issue that your government is better than Turkey's. I would agree, but that is aside from the point. :-]

Furthermore, "nationialism" is a dirty word in EU politics. The EU tries to hide the real Euro sentiment through political correctness and "concensus." If you ask the Czechs and Eastern Europeans if they think the EU properly represents them, I bet you will find masses of critics. When I visited the countryside in the Czech Republic last Christmas, many local Czechs I talked to complained how their sugar beat farms and factories were closed down and moved to Poland by the EU community... ya know, for the "greater good." Many Czechs dislike this "greater good" concept unless they are getting the handouts, and I think most every other Euro nation is the same.

What of open borders? I bet the Czechs mutter every day about the Ukranians flooding in. What will stem the tide??? Will there be conflict? What if a Ukranian rapes a Czech girl and then Ukranian workers protest the man's innocense in Prague? The Czechs might counter protest and before you know it there could be brutalization and blood. Europe could be building itself to similar situations like France's riots. We can ignore it, or we can recognize that Europeans perhaps do not want such pluralistic societies. Can't the Czechs just have their own land? Can't the Germans live with Germans instead of Russians or Turks who fail to assimilate!? Oh, I'm sorry, that sounds fascist again doesn't it? This is the reality of Europe... it is an undercurrent that I hope no one tries to tap. I believe this is something to fear and it is an symptom of unavoidable nationalism.

Lastly, I think the EU is a wonderful concept, and hopefully it will slowly grind away at nationalism especially with the connectivity of a modern age and pan Europa ideals; however, this EU campaign can also fuel nationalism through real and percieved inequalities. The EU is a dream worth pursueing, but I doubt it will fully be realized for some time. Germans and Czechs have a long history to overcome and societal mentalities aren't easily ignored. The Austrians and Germans, for quite a long time, made the Czechs second class citizens in their own lands. The Czechs' cultural heritage and identity was to be hijacked for the sake of Austrian Empire, and the Czechs' didn't quite like that.

The Czech personality, as I see it, includes strong passive resistance (and oodles of emotion about it) against any percieved oppressor or manipulator. German-Czech politicing surely has the Czechs saying "those sneaky Germans have got something up their sleeve," while the Germans wishfully wonder "why can't that little Czech nation just be more rational! Road signs don't mean conquest!" ... of course, German news to this day talks about persecution of Germans in Poland and sometimes in the Czech Republic... what does that remind any proper historian of??? (1930s fascist rhetoric) The Germans don't intend conquest, I know, but there is an undertone. Undertones make emotions just how they say that 90% of communication is tone and body. I'm mentioning all this because it is the unmentionable root of the issue between Germans and Czechs.

*I'm not a conspiracy theorist. I doubt wars or that lot between nations anytime soon, but I'm just saying, things aren't perfect. Of course people won't always simply get along.*

P.S. Thanks for the support there Wer.

8. eso

eso Well-Known Member

I try to found more information and I reply later ;)

Everything is criticizable. And there is many things on EU, which deserving of critique. But with arguments please... :)

Well this is new info for me. So it will not be same, like for example Germany/France border?

http://www.islandvulnerability.org/borderdfrhine1.jpg

9. eso

eso Well-Known Member

OK. And how EU hurt you? :)

10. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Well I debated about answering this on the board or in a PM. I just want to be able to speak freely about it but I don't want to offend anyone. Nor do I care to get involved in a long debate with everyone about the EU. It's just not worth my time and energy. (perhaps I'm just tired today. :wink: )

So I'll pm you my complaints eso.