What reputation have New Zealanders in Czech Republic??

Discussion in 'Culture' started by manuolda, May 4, 2008.

1. manuolda

manuolda Member

Dobry den everyone...my Cultural Report on Czech Republic is progressing...and part of the credit is definitely yours! I still need to tackle a couple of issues and I can't find any relevant info on the Net. Namely, what reputation have Kiwis ( New Zealanders) in Czech republic?? Czech Republic and NZ are so faraway one another that you have probably never asked yourself such a question...but maybe some of you may have encountered some Kiwis in his/her life...others may have an idea of how people behave here...other may have a prejudice…. “ it’s all grist to the mild”…everything will help!

Finally, is there (on your opinion) any factor of cultural affinity between these two cultures....I was thinking that New Zealand’s clean, green image is something that belongs also to your culture..any other suggestion? Thanks again….See ya!

2. kibicz

kibicz Well-Known Member

Allmost no roputation - coz we dont know them.
    From what I ve heard from my friend who was working there - Kiwis must be realy lazy workers...:-D
    NZ countryside is another topic - It must be paradise.

3. eso

eso Well-Known Member

New Zealanders really aren't very known in CR.

New Zealand itself is seen as beautiful fairy-land :)
    /mostly because LOTR movies/

4. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

:) Exactly.

Two Islands, green plains and hills, sheeps, LOTR, Peter Jackson, bungee jumping and zorbing. That is what came to my mind when you say New Zealand.

And the accent is kind of confusing, if new zealandar wants to "set up" and says "sit up" :).

5. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

I think we have much the same impression here in the States - and, don't forget the Maori :D

6. Petr_B

Petr_B Well-Known Member

Guys, guys, are you too old or too young to not know about a popular TV series for children aired in 1980's on Czechoslovak television: "Deti z kourove hory" (Children of Fire Mountain)? A hint: "Sůva Duajer". This one was NZ production. :lol:

I admit I haven't seen Jackson's LotR movies, but I really like his earlier movies: Brain Dead (REALLY funny comedy) and to a lesser degree Bad Taste. As far as I know, the latter got a state funding, I was really surprised at how liberal NZ government is to finance such project (read: splatter). :wink:

Anyway, last time I heard about NZ in Czech media it was because some Czechs go there to work as apple pickers.

Children of Fire Mountain aside, the one thing I know about Maori is their haka performed prior to rugby games of NZ national team.

7. eso

eso Well-Known Member

I remember it vaguely - "Taboo! Taboo!" appears in my memory :) :)

8. wer

wer Well-Known Member

I have the Slovak title “Deti z Dymovej hory” fixed in my memory, so it was in Slovak, wasn’t? Magion? Vega?

It was followed by “Children of the Dog Star” which is from New Zealand as well, isn’t?

9. eso

eso Well-Known Member

I remember this one:

Chocky
    http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0202722/

Not NZ but UK, though :)

10. Petr_B

Petr_B Well-Known Member

According to Wikipedia, Children of the Dog is from NZ too. I haven't seen this one, I might have been too old to watch it when it came to Czechoslovakia (it was made in 1984). The only things I remember from "Children of the Fire Mountain" are the name of the creepy guy - Sůva Duajer (Doomy Dwayr) and that coming to the volcano was a taboo.

I had mentioned Peter Jackson because he's the only kiwi I knew by name. Now I know more - I've glanced at the list of famous New Zealanders and there were some names familiar to me:
    Russel Crowe (actor, born in NZ)
    Lucy Lawless (actress, Warrior Princess Xena)
    Ngaio Marsh (writer of detective stories)
    and of course Edmund Hillary (how could I forget him :roll: ).