What the Prague will be like in 10 years?

Discussion in 'Culture' started by gementricxs, Feb 10, 2008.

1. gementricxs

gementricxs Well-Known Member

What do you guys think that the Prague will be like in next, let's say 10 year?

Right now you can see pretty big trend of americanization and focusing services on tourists and all the american expats.

Just to give you an example, yesterday I went to a bar in Žižkov area, which I though is far enough from all the touristy places. It was a nice place, pretty far from the metro, had to use a map to find the street. I had a great time there, but it came to paying, I told the waiter in Czech what I will be paying for, and guess what!
    The waiter was from NYC.

It wouldn't be the first time I could not get by in a pub with Czech language. It's strange, you go to a bar in Prague, Czech Republic, and you cannot order in Czech?!

Do you think that in next few years all the the places somewhat close to the center will be english only? I can clearly see the transformation happening before my eyes.

I'd like to hear your opinion on this.

I guess it's kinda similar to spanish in south California or Polish in some parts of London.

2. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

I hope not - one of my favorite things about Prague is not hearing English everywhere. Guard your traditions and keep the "Czech" in Czech Republic - that is what makes it so special. :D

3. ollie1

ollie1 Active Member

I have spoken to friends that have been visiting Prague every year over the last 5 years and they also are very aware of this transformation, not only in the amount of foreigners now adopting Prague as their home but also the cost of things. December was my first time in Prague and i loved being surrounded by the czech language, that is how it should be and what makes your country so unique and special. What really surprised me when speaking to the lovely people of Prague, is just how many of them told me that they wanted to move to America - more opportunities ?, higher salaries maybe, i just can,t imagine why anyone would want to leave Prague and the czech republic, but i can understand why so many people are attracted this lovely country. I hope too that czech is kept czech and that the traditions are very carefully looked after because once they are gone they can be lost forever and not easily re-introduced so any foreigner who lives, works or visits the czech republic should be encouraged to speak czech and limit the amount of english spoken to us !! :) :) ( what happened to the native scots gaelic language, not heard that spoken in years !!! ) :oops:

4. Anna683

Anna683 Well-Known Member

Maybe it's up to the authorities to decide whether they want the centre of Prague to be mainly geared to tourists. The Czechs should surely have a right be able to live in their own city centre and conduct their lives there (e.g. shop for food, visit the library, instead of going on an expedition to do so). Although the centre is a lovely place to visit, the pricing strategy there seems less attractive and rather divisive. People don't like to feel, if they can't afford the prices, that they aren't the right "class" of person or, if they can, that they're being seen as a gullible easy target and ripped off. Particularly, if -- as with the tourists -- there appears to be an underlying resentment towards them.

5. GlennInFlorida

This can happen anywhere there are a lot of tourists (I speak from experience as a Florida native in a state where we have a lot of tourists) but, sometimes, the tourists bring it on themselves. Tourists should always remember they are guests and behave accordingly - a lot of times they act instead as self-entitled bullies. I think sometimes it is easier to give in to the bullies (conduct business in English, prepare local foods to fit foreign tastes, etc.) and rip them off a bit to even up the score. I don't know what the answer is - I just try to do my part by being a "good" tourist. Being from Florida and thus being aware of what can happen in "tourist trap" places ,I really try to avoid them. I watch my money carefully (I am by no means rich and have to scrimp and save to afford my trips to Prague) and always try to seek out "local" places to enjoy. One of the main reasons I love Prague so much is because of how different it is from here - I would hate for it to become just a copy of anywhere else.

6. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

I think I would worry less about American influence and more about Chinese--of course, in Prague, that may be 20 years down the road, instead of 10.

7. gementricxs

You mean Vietnamese.

Yes, there's lot of Ukrainian and Vietnamese people living in Prague or in the Czech Republic generally. But they do not change the culture as much as tourists. They all learn Czech and try to adapt. I am sorry, but I cannot say that about Americans living here.

8. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

I'm not sure you're right about Americans living here. Certainly those who know they're only staying for a couple of years don't seem to bother learning Czech, but then neither do British short-term ex-pats. But I know several Americans who are married to Czechs and they all speak passable Czech. Unfortunately, usually with very strong American accents, though!

And I am amazed at your story about the bar in Zizkov. It must have been somewhere catering just for young tourists, surely? Zizkov is getting quite popular with tourists because it's a lot cheaper than the centre of Prague. I know it well - it's where I go to my Czech classes and although there are a few budget hotels for the tourists, I know what a struggle I have had to make myself understood there - I have not found anyone who speaks more than a few words of English.

9. gementricxs

I also know few americans who speak very good Czech, but that doesn't change anything, they're not the majority.
    They're not the reason for the changes and thus for this thread.

Yes, it was kind of expats bar. Bathroom doors with signs saying "boys" and "girls" without any picture whatsoever (so Czechs who doesn't speak English can go to bathroom too) clearly makes it an expats bar.

You are right that bars at Zizkov differs, they are also the Czech only ones, but as you stated before the are is becoming more and more popular, i guess there's more "english" bars to come.

10. GlennInFlorida

well, you know the old story

what do you call some one who speaks three languages?
    tri-lingual

what do you call some one who speaks two languages?
    bi-lingual

what do you call some one who speaks one language?
    an American

11. pedro1974

pedro1974 Well-Known Member

If I can say my opinion, Praha is so a nice city everyone should visit it.
    there are 2 kind (maybe more...) of tourists.
    the one who feel guests, who try to learn at least the basic words, for orders in a pub,restaurant..., who try to visit the monuments but even try to get a contact with the local people, for take the life style, the ideas, opinions...
    and the second one, who feel the chief of the city, just cause they show the money.
    of course they will eat in the centre, maybe in the "restaurant" mc d.nalds...or they will ask for international meals, they will go to the "night club" thinking to get an original czech girl...and other stuffs.

I was in praha first time 4 years ago and I loved it, now it seems more and more a commercial city, it doesnt lost the its soul but maybe the way is that...unfortunatly!

ps: sorry for my italian/english!