What to do on Christmas Eve

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by Narab, Oct 18, 2004.

1. Narab

Narab New Member

Hello, everybody!

My husband and I intend to visit Prague 23th-27th of December. We would like to know where can we spend good time on Christmas Eve.
    Could you recommend anything, maybe some special restaurant or, I don't know, any place where we can enjoy oursleves. Are the bars and discos opened 24th December? And also I would like to know if the shops and museums will be opened 25th and 26th.

Thank you in advance!

2. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Hi Narab,

The evening of December 24 is when the Czechs celebrate Christmas (see Czech Christmas), so you probably won't find much action anywhere. It'll be pretty quiet outside. You should have better luck on Dec. 25 and 26 when more places should be open.

3. Narab

Narab New Member

Dear Dana,

Thank you very much for the information.

But, will there be still a possibility to have a Christmas meal in the restaurant in the hotel or do we have to book in beforehand?

Are there any fireworks outside on the 24th? I have read that there will be some celebrations on the Wenceslas Square. Is it right?

4. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

I'm not sure. If you've booked a hotel already, it might be best to ask them directly.

Are you referring to Christmas Eve or New Year's Eve? Fireworks are not common on Christmas Eve. It's a quiet time when people are at home having Christmas dinner and unwrapping presents. Some also go to church for the Midnight Mass. Public celebrations and fireworks are common on New Year's Eve in Prague and elsewhere in the country.