Wierd sentences :)

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by digitaliz, Jul 6, 2005.

1. digitaliz

digitaliz Active Member

Ahoj!

I've tried to translate various strange sentences, and was hoping that somebody has the time to point out the most serious mistakes... :)

Some of them look really wierd, so I assume they contain some proverbialisms. The sentences come from the book Český pravopis, which was obviously not written with foreigners in mind... :) The purpose of the exercise is to fill in missing ý:s and í:s, which is actually not as much of a problem as understanting the sentences... :)

Slyšel jsem vypravovat pověst o Semtinské lípě. I heard the fame of the Semtinian Lime tree being told.

Nemysli si, že se máš čím chlubit. I can't think that you would boast about it.

To se od vás dozvídám pěkné věci! I'll get to know some good thinks from you.

Mám dojem, že jste vyvedený z míry, že jste na konci svých sil. I have an impression of you being embarrased about you being at the end of your greatness.

Na vašem míste bych raději odjel na pár dní do chaty. In your place, I'd like to go to the summer house for a couple of days.

V mezilidských vztazích by měla vládnout upřímnost. Relations between people should be governed by sincerity.

Co na srdci, to na jazyku. What's on your heart is on your tounge.

Synáčku, buď opatrný, dej na sebe pozor. Sonny, be careful, watch out!
    (is there any difference between dej si pozor and dej na sebe pozor?)

Nepovídej nesmysly, myslíš, že ti věřím? Don't talk nonsense, do you think I belive you?

Nemůžeš dělat, co se ti zlíbí. You can't do what you want.

Položil si prst na ústa a tiše sykl. He put a finger to his mouth and hushed.

Pokusil jsem se smířit s nepříjemnou myšlenkou. I tried to come at peace with the disturbing thought.

Zvedl sluchátko, vytočil číslo a začal mluvit. He picked up the receiver, dialed a number and started talking.

Nebyl to všechno omyl? It wasn't all a mistake?

Nedoufal jsem, že se octnu mezi vítězi. I didn't hope to find myself between the winners.

Občas jsem blikl baterkou. I'll blink with the flashlight at intervals.

Když přátelé odešli, nelítostně a velice dlouho jsem zpytoval svědomí. When the friends left, I looked into my conciense for a long time and without remorse.

Přesýpací hodiny jsou dnes již jen dekorací. Today, hour glasses are merely decorations.

Tak obrovský stroj jsem viděl poprvé. It's the first the I've seen such a huge machine.

Chceš mi namluvit, že je to vysílačka? Do you want to tell me if it's a transmitter?

2. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

Slyšel jsem vypravovat pověst o Semtinské lípě. I heard the legend of the Semtinian Lime tree being told.

Nemysli si, že se máš čím chlubit. Do not think there is anything you can boast about (you can be proud of).

To se od vás dozvídám pěkné věci! I get to learn some "good news" from you. (meant ironically)

Mám dojem, že jste vyvedený z míry, že jste na konci svých sil. I have an impression of you being bewildered, at the end of your tether.

Na vašem místě bych raději odjel na pár dní do chaty. In your place, I'd better go to the summer house for a couple of days.

V mezilidských vztazích by měla vládnout upřímnost. Relations among people should be governed by sincerity.

Co na srdci, to na jazyku. What's on your heart is on your tongue.

Synáčku, buď opatrný, dej na sebe pozor. Sonny, be careful, take care!
    (is there any difference between dej si pozor and dej na sebe pozor?) (dej si pozor = beware, dej na sebe pozor = take care)

Nepovídej nesmysly, myslíš, že ti věřím? Don't talk nonsense, do you think I believe you?

Nemůžeš dělat, co se ti zlíbí. You can't do what you want.

Položil si prst na ústa a tiše sykl. He put a finger on his mouth and hushed.

Pokusil jsem se smířit s nepříjemnou myšlenkou. I tried to come at peace with the disturbing thought.

Zvedl sluchátko, vytočil číslo a začal mluvit. He picked up the receiver, dialed a number and started talking.

Nebyl to všechno omyl? Wasn't it all a mistake?

Nedoufal jsem, že se octnu mezi vítězi. I didn't hope to find myself among the winners.

Občas jsem blikl baterkou. From time to time, I blinked with the flashlight.

Když přátelé odešli, nelítostně a velice dlouho jsem zpytoval svědomí. When the friends left, I looked into my conscience for a long time and pitilessly.

Přesýpací hodiny jsou dnes již jen dekorací. Today, hour glasses are merely decorations.

Tak obrovský stroj jsem viděl poprvé. It's the first time I've ever seen such a huge machine.

Chceš mi namluvit, že je to vysílačka? Do you want to tell me that it's a transmitter?

You did a wonderful job! :)

3. digitaliz

digitaliz Active Member

Thanks a lot Jana! :)
    Now I just have to look up some of the English words... (Wooo, I'm learning two languages at once now...! ;) )