Alexx goes to the US

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by Alexx, Aug 25, 2010.

1. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

Alex, that was another grand trip. You amaze me. You pick such adventurous destinations. How sad to see that once huge inland Aral Sea disappear.
    Over irrigation, big government scheme gone awry.
    Hradby Chivy....Primo
    And those big squares surrounded with that muslim architecture are impressive.

Check this place out....just heard about it recently....a real mystery.

http://www.wimp.com/unexplainedstructure/

2. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

It's where they watched movies :).

Yet another interesting destination is to come soon :). Today my visa was 99% approved (it will be 100% when I get my passport back). Hardest visa to get so far, so I hope everything goes well from now on.

No spoiler, you have to wait for it.

3. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Well, here I am, back from yet another interesting place on Earth - Afghanistan. Sure we only visited the more peaceful places, but still I am kind of happy to be back home. Not that we feld being in danger at any time, but we were worried "what if something" because of lack of basic infrastructure (ATMs, healthcare...).

I will post some photos soon, as well as some article I am planning to write about it. As always I plan to write my minute-by-minute point of view of all week (in czech), but I am planing to prepare 2-3 pages long article for some magazine (regardles if someone will print it or not), and translate this one into english.

Volunteer who would like to correct it (native speaker or long term expat) appreciated!

4. scrimshaw

Another fascinating trip. Into the jaws of death and yet you come back alive!
    Anxious to see those pictures. Though your english has vastly improved, if you want, I will proofread that article you are going to write for you.
    People will be interested to hear of your experiences there.

5. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Well you are my man David!

6. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Back home from Florida. I cannot believe how flat the place is! Comparing to it, Hungary, which is like the flatest country in Europe, seems mountainous region.

Once we was "climbing" with our car through pass, which was marked with sign "3 ft above see level".

For Everglades June seems to be a bit unfortunate month - nobody was there, parkings for lets say 200 cars was "crowded" with 2-3 cars. Camping area in Flamingo was either closed down, or just empty. Even the crocs and gators was on holiday somewhere, we saw only about 10 of them, mostly on the Loop road on the north, and two on Anhinga trail, where we also saw turtle about 2 ft long.

Nice place though, but little bit crowded (when on coast) most of the time, I prefer vast spaces of Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada.

I will post some photos soon.

7. scrimshaw

You are intrepid travelers. South Florida in June, that time of year everything is looking for shade. There is a saying "only mad dogs(dogs suffering from rabies) and englishmen go out in the midday sun'.
    I've never been that far south. Hope you guys got a chance to do some fishing. I hear it's great.
    Maybe an airboat ride?
    http://www.captaindougs.net/?gclid=COKm ... 7AodlxjZag

Curious to see what places you visited.

8. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Hi David...

I kind of thought you will say something "I would like one day to go there" :) or something.

We missed our flight in NY, so we went to Fort Lauderdale instad of Miami, then by cab to Miami, back up for beaches to FL, then Cocoa Beach, Kennedy Space Center, Orlando, Everglades (also an airboat ride), Keys...

I found something new interesting in the US I never knew before... Golden Corral ;-)

I will post photos from Florida, but one thing at a time, I just finished sorting pics from Afghanistan:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... fe32ad40f3

9. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

10. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

11. scrimshaw

Hawaii looks fantastic! I know you guys loved that trip.
    Pretty soon it will be easier for you to list the places you haven't been than the places you have been. I hope your travel log on Afghanistan was accepted by that site(magazine?).

12. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

13. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

It was :) ... the czech version. I am very happy about it.

I/it was even quoted in czech state radio:

http://www.rozhlas.cz/zpravy/vedatechni ... g--1132257

Final version of the article can be downloaded from here (my friend scanned it and posted it):
    http://www.uloz.to/xU2DFLk/koktejl-afganistan-2012-pdf

- go to the middle column, fill the captcha and hit "stáhnout" button.

And no, it is not and soon will not be easier to list countries I have not visited. So far I visited 57 I think, this year I plan to see Mexico (but I have already been there) and Guatemala, and then China. Hopefully some third country I have never been before (hot candidates - Portugal, Russia, Iran). And I have already been to Japan this year. So hopefully I reach 60 this year.

Unless I go overland down to South Africa, it will now be quite hard to add more and more countries.

I have mid term goal - visit North Korea, and long term goal - visit all the countries of the world. As one cleaver man once said - I set this goal not because it is easy, but because it is hard.

14. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

This winter is packed with cheap rates of tickets from around CZ to the US. About 400 USD return seems to be new "normal".

I decided advance my plans for 2016, so I am going to Seattle this summer. One week only, no more time to spend. Yet I am looking forward to it. Motels, 5FT deep pools, Tacos tasting way better than those down there in Mexico, cheap gas, wide roads with no traffic on them... Can't wait.