fashion tips?

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by typerico, Apr 27, 2004.

1. typerico

typerico New Member

I will be travelling to Czech in July. What would be the weather around that time and what would be the appropriate clothing should i bring? Should I bring a jacket along or am I fine without it? One more thing, this will be my first time visiting Czech or better yet, Europe. Can anybody give me some helpful fashion tips? Like can I wear jeans and a t-shirt at night going out or do i have to look formal? I apologize for my ridiculous questions but I don't want to look like a fool when i'm there. Anything helpful, i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks a lot!

2. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

If you wear jeans and a T-shirt on the streets of Prague, you might as well scream out, "Hey everyone, I'm an American!" :p Believe me, after just a month or so living in Prague, it was brutally obvious who were the Americans on the streets. Czechs typically dress up more than the average American to go out. Not that you want to be in a tux, but a pair of Dockers and a nice golf-style or button-up shirt (no tennis shoes!) would be appropriate. In short, the look in public is dressy, but not formal or casual (by American standards).

The only coat you might possibly need in July is a rain coat, and even then if you're there only for a short while, you might get away without one.

3. Blake76

Blake76 Member

I agree with Sova--err on the dressy side. My advice would be, no sneakers, no white socks. Find some comfortable black shoes. ;)

You'll be forced to think about how much of your (national) identity you convey through clothes; when I was in Europe, I tried to blend in as much as I could, rather than stick out. Giving up jeans and t-shirts for a while was worth it, to me, to avoid instant recognition as an American.

(That said, Europeans and Czechs figured out I was American the instant I opened my mouth, anyway.)

Although no one *ever* made any political remark to me about the U.S. while I was in Prague in March, that's not to say it couldn't happen.
    But I think you make yourself less of a target for anything--unwanted political commentary, pickpocketing, etc.--by toning down the characteristically American aspects of dress, speech, gestures, facial expression, etc. You just have to be on your guard and wear a bit of a mask. This might sound alarmist or overly cautious, but it worked for me.....

Prague is an amazing place, and you're bound to enjoy it. :)

4. Eva2

Eva2 Well-Known Member

The best way of getting the hang of it is to rent a movie - any European movie - and see what is worn in the streets.

Enjoy Prague,

Eva

5. typerico

typerico New Member

thanks guys, i apprecite your help.