Lužické hory

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by rsalc1, May 31, 2009.

1. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

Below is Part 1 of an article that I have translated from Czech into English. The article has many technical (geological) words, so it was difficult to translate.
    I underlined words that I did not understand.

I will appreciate any corrections!

The original is at:
    http://cestovani.idnes.cz/klic-k-ne...1fa-/igcechy.asp?c=A090521_122100_igcechy_tom

1. část
    Klíč k nejhezčímu rozhledu v Čechách je schovaný v Lužických horách
    Názorů na nejhezčí rozhled v Čechách je spousta. Pokud ale zamíříte do Lužických hor na severu Čech na vrch Klíč, budete mít jasno. Takhle pestrou mozaiku krajinných tvarů nikde jinde nespatříte, navíc dohlédnete od Jizerek a Krkonoš přes České a Saské Švýcarsko až po Krušné hory.
    Poněkud opomíjené Lužické hory na severu Čech jsou překrásnými horami se zachovalými lesy. Výjimečný a krajinářsky velmi přitažlivý je však také jejich reliéf.

Part 1
    The key to the most beautiful view in Czechia is hidden in the mountains of Lužický.
    There are many opinions on the most beautiful view. If, however, you head for Luž Mountains on North Czechia to the Klíč peak, you will have clarity/serenity. This way you will see a checkered mosaic of regional shapes (not found) anywhere else, (this structure is complicated, word for word: This way a checkered mosaic of regional shapes nowhere else you will not see) in addition you will see from Jizerek and Krkonos across CR and Saxon Switzerland all the hay to Krušná hora.
    In some respect (?), the neglected mountains of Luž in Northern CR are lovely mountains with well-preserved forests. However, their topography is rare/exceptional and _________ very inviting.

Lužické hory tvoří bývalá pískovcová plošina vyzdvižená mladotřetihorní sopečnou činností. Lávy na mnohých místech pronikly po puklinách do pískovcových vrstev a vytvořily v nich podpovrchové útvary, které dnes vlivem dlouhodobého zvětrávání a eroze vystupují nad okolní terén jako nápadné sopečné kupy. Tak vznikla nejvyšší hora Luž (793 m) a také vrch Klíč (759 m), z jehož nejvyššího bodu se otevírá úžasný rozhled.

The mountains are composed of former/erst-while sandy plateau _______________________.
    Lava in many places leaked along fissures to the sandy layers and created in them underground formations, which today by the action of long-standing weathering and erosion rise above the nearby terrain like noticeable, volcanic mounds. And so was created Mount Luž (793 m) and also the summit/peak Klíč (759 m), from whose highest spot opens out an amazing view (translating word by word from Czech… my English sounds horrible) :(.

Vrchol sužovaný požáry i jedy
    Vrch Klíč leží stranou hlavního pásma Lužických hor, v jejich jižním předhůří. Absolutní výškou ho předčí mnohé vrcholy v pohoří, relativním převýšením nad okolní krajinou však Klíč dominuje. Vypíná se izolovaně do výšky 250 m nad terén a ze všech stran je nepřehlédnutelný.

The top was afflicted by fire and poison
    Mount Klíč lies on the side of the Luž Mountains main range (?), in its southern foothills. Many peaks in mountain ranges exceed its absolute elevation, however Klíč dominates by its relative elevation over the nearby region. It stands apart to a height of 250 meters above ground and from all sides is _____________.

Tvoří ho majestátní znělcová sopečná kupa pravidelného kuželovitého tvaru, který zvlášť vynikne při pohledu od východu nebo západu. Od jihu a severu je profil Klíče více zaoblený.

Efektní podívanou vytváří mohutná skalní stěna na jihozápadním úbočí, pod níž se rozkládá obrovské suťové pole. Skalní stěna dosahuje délky až 300 m a místy má výšku 60 m.

It is composed of majestic volcanic mounds of regular, conic shapes, which especially grow/penetrate ___________ from the east or the west. From the south and the north the profile of Klíč is more rounded.

A bulky wall of rocks on the southwest flank constitute a spectacular ______. Under (this wall) expands a giant field of debris (?). The wall of rocks reaches a length of 300 meters and in some places has a height/elevation of 60 meters.

2. bibax

bibax Well-Known Member

Some comments:

Čechy/Česko = Bohemia (Čechy and Česko are synonyms like Rakousy/Rakousko, Uhry/Uhersko, Burgundy/Burgundsko, etc.)

the Lužice Mountains, lužický is adjective

severní Čechy, sever Čech (lower case s) = northern (part of) Bohemia

krajina = landscape (not region)

třetihory = Tertiary
    mladší třetihory = Neogene (Pleistocene, Pliocene, Miocene), see Wiki
    mladotřetihorní = adjective (Neogenic ?)

sopečná činnost = vulcanic activity
    vyzdvižený sopečnou činností = lifted/elevated/risen by vulcanic activity
    (zdviž = lift)
    znělec = phonolite, clinkstone, soundstone
    suť = detritus
    suťové pole = field of detrital particles

poněkud = somewhat, somedeal

podívaná = spectacle
    efektní podívaná = spectacular spectacle :) (big picture ?)

3. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

Here I incorporated bibax's comments and corrections. It's a bit more readable but I am still missing some words here and there...

4. bibax

bibax Well-Known Member

The key to the most beautiful view in Bohemia is hidden in the Lužice Mountains.
    There are many opinions on the most beautiful view in Bohemia. If, however, you head for Lužice Mountains on (in?) northern Bohemia to the Klíč peak, you will have clarity/serenity (you will be certain about it). This way you will not see this (in this way) checkered (diversiform, multifarious) mosaic of landscape shapes anywhere else, in addition you will see (panorama) from Jizerky and Krkonoše across Bohemian and Saxon Switzerland all the hay(?) to Krušné hory.
    Somewhat the neglected Lužice Mountains (which are neglected a little) in northern Bohemia are lovely mountains with well-preserved forests. However, their topography (geomorphological relief) is exceptional and regarding/considering landscape very inviting (as well).

krajinářsky = adverb of krajinářský (pertaining to landscape)

There are many opinions on the most beautiful view in Bohemia.
    view in Bohemia, not opinions in Bohemia! (how to distinguish it?)

in Czech:
    Názorů na nejhezčí rozhled v Čechách je spousta. (view in Bohemia)
    Názorů na nejhezčí rozhled je v Čechách spousta. (many opinions in Bohemia)

I think Northern Bohemia (severní Čechy) is written with upper case N in English. :idea:

North Bohemia or Northern Bohemia :?:

5. wer

wer Well-Known Member

See Lusatia (Lužice), Lusatian Mountains (Lužické hory).

“Mít jasno”, literally “to have clear”, could mean either “to be clear (on something)” or “to have nice weather”.

You can’t see (lit. you will not see) a mosaic (of landscape shapes) as colourful as this one anywhere else,

That’s a construction used to describe a range:

od… (přes…) až po… = from… (?…) to…

“Jizerky” is slangy short for “Jizerské hory”.

nepřehlédnutelný ← ne- + přehlédnout + -elný = not- + overlook + -able

A picture of the Klíč Peak:

[​IMG]

6. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Only thanks to wer now I realized I was last weekend in Luzicke hory :)

[​IMG]

7. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

bibax, wer: I noticed that you both did not translate "takhle" in the sentence below:

Takhle pestrou mozaiku krajinných tvarů nikde jinde nespatříte

I had: This way you...
    Your correction is: you can't see/you will not see

How can you translate takhle above?

8. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

bibax: I agree :)
    The trouble is that as I learn Czech orthography (being careful not to use too many uppercase letters in names), I am unlearning English orthography (where I must capitalize all parts of a name, such as Northern Bohemia). :(

9. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

*"The somewhat neglected Lusatian Mountains" is correct. Thanks!

**Here is better: "The peak is/was afflicted/cursed..." because we are talking a previously mentioned peak (it is a definite peak requiring a definite article) :!:

10. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

NOT that again!

Čechy = Bohemia / Česko = Czechia
    Morava = Moravia
    Slezsko = Silesia

Čechy + Morava + Slezko (southern part) = Česko, Czechia, ČR, Czech republic

11. bibax

bibax Well-Known Member

IMHO Čechy and Česko are synonyms (like Vlachy and Vlašsko, Bavory and Bavorsko, Korutany and Korutansko, and many others).

As for English, Czechia is the worse variant (IMHO). Maybe there are better possibilities: Czechland (like Finland, Poland, ...), the Czech Lands, the Czechlands (like the Netherlands), Bohemia (evokes the Bohemian Kingdom abolished in 1918, Regnum Bohemiae in Latin), Bohemia and Moravia, etc.

Essentially it is impossible to invent a generally accepted artificial one-word name for several historical lands or geographical regions.

Finally the name of our state is the Czech Republic (at least according to Constitution) and not Česko.

Try to invent a one-word name for the UK of GB and NI, or for the SAR. :wink:

12. eso

eso Well-Known Member

UK is Británie ;)

Anyway, for me discussion about Česko ended, when Czech version of National Geographic changed its name to National Geographic Česko.

In magazines, newspapers and tv is Česko as whole country used frequently - so I believe your battle is already lost :)

13. bibax

bibax Well-Known Member

You are too impatient. Wait at least one hundred years, please. :)

Yes, Britain is a short for the UK, Holland is a short for the Netherlands, and Česko (or even Čechy) is an informal short for the Czech Republic. In fact these short names are examples of the so called *pars pro toto.

* Pars pro toto is Latin for "(taking) a part for the whole" where a portion of an object or concept represents the entire object or concept.

14. wer

wer Well-Known Member

So, all the colouring of mine was useless. :D

I translated it, but not literally. “Takhle” could be translated in more ways:

in this way
      like this
      so
      thus
      how (+ subordinate clause)
      what about (= co takhle)

But I find none of the variant suitable this very sentence, because the adverb in this sentence modifies the adjective “pestrý”:

takhle pestrý = colourful¹ in this way, colourfull like this

So I opted for a loose translation:

takhle pestrá mozaika = mosaic as colourful as this one

Another acceptable option could be:

such a colourful mosaic

I discarded the option:

so colourful mosaic

because it has slightly different meaning.

You are most likely right about the article, but consider that the title is not sentence at all. There is no verb! That is not like a headline of the kind “Minister (is/was) kidnapped”:

the peak (is/was) cursed = vrchol (je/byl) sužován
      the cursed peak = sužovaný vrchol
      the peak cursed by something = vrchol sužovaný něčím

15. wer

wer Well-Known Member

For me Rakousy and Rakousko are not synonymous, neither Rus and Rusko or Nizozemí and Nizozemsko.

You can’t expect the terminology to be more stable than the political situation.

16. Swordslayer

Swordslayer Well-Known Member

There is still an ongoing discussion, though the name is already codified and listed in several official documents (see Discussion:République_tchèque or On the geographic name of the Czech Republic). On the other hand, it doesn't mean anyone is forced to use it. Eitherway, the argument of possible confusion with Chechnya ([ˈtʃɛtʃɨn] vs [ˈtʃɛkɪə]) is quite successful, and as such it provides quite a good reason for avoiding this short form.

17. bibax

bibax Well-Known Member

Dík za link.

:lol: Ten dr. Leoš Jeleček je ale srandista. Zejména mě pobavila tahle část zdůvodnění:

To bychom se dostali do pěkné společnosti. Ještě že máme doktora Jelečka. :D

Nebo tohle:

To mi nějak připomíná 27 umělců, kteří vytvořili Entropu.

Jako aprílová mystifikace je to docela dobré. Asi se hodně lidí nachytalo. :)

Chcete-li se obeznámit i s dalším významným úspěchem dr. Jelečka na poli jazykovědy, pak jděte na
    http://necyklopedie.wikia.com/wiki/Brno#Jm.C3.A9no :D

18. Swordslayer

Swordslayer Well-Known Member

I guess you've also seen this:
    [​IMG]

19. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

The colour-coding was fine. It really helps!
    I just got hung up on the fact that I couldn't find a suitable adverb to modify pestrá.

Teď chápu! A loose translation. I got it :idea: Thanks!!!

wer: You are absolutely right. This phrase is a title therefore it's better to say:
    "Peak cursed by fire, etc"

Thanks for taking the time to explain. Much appreciated (as we say in the Southern US) :)

20. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

Tady je 2. část článku o Lužických horách. Here is part 2 of the article about the Lusatian Mountains.
    I don't get the words in green.

2. část
    V současné době je vrchol Klíče holý, ovšem ne vždy tomu tak bylo. Lesní porosty, kdysi dosahující až k nejvyššímu bodu, často sužovaly požáry a jiné katastrofy. Poprvé zdejší les shořel v polovině 19. století, naposledy 26. dubna 1992, kdy oheň zasáhl hlavně severní a severozápadní stranu vrcholu.

Currently the summit of Klíč is bare; however it wasn't always like that. Forest overgrowth, once reaching to the highest spot, often caused (?) fires and other catastrophes. For the first time the forest here burned down in the middle of the 19th century, and for the last time on April 26, 1992, when fire affected mainly the norther and northwestern sides of the summit.

Mezitím, v 80. letech 20. století, odešly vlivem jedovatých severočeských exhalací všechny smrky. Dnes není na severním svahu po smrkovém lese ani památky, roste tu jen tráva s ojedinělými jeřáby a břízami.

Celý kopec trpí kvůli sopečnému skalnímu podloží suchem, na jižním svahu roste teplomilná doubrava, kterou ochraňuje přírodní rezervace. Skály hostí vzácné květy a hnízdí tu i ohrožení dravci.

Meanwhile, in the 1980s all pine trees left (?) influenced by the toxic air pollutants of Northern Bohemia. Today there is no memory of a pine forest on the northern slope; only grass _________ and birch trees grow there.

The entire hill suffers from drought/aridity on account of the vulcanic, rocky subsoil; on the southern slope grow warm-weather (?) oak trees, which are protected by a nature reservation. The rocks ______ unusual flowers and predator birds (have their) nests here (as well).