Lužické hory

Where to go? What to see? How to get there?

Moderators: Sova, gementricxs, Dana

bibax

Postby bibax » 02-Jun-09 10:12

IMHO Čechy and Česko are synonyms (like Vlachy and Vlašsko, Bavory and Bavorsko, Korutany and Korutansko, and many others).

As for English, Czechia is the worse variant (IMHO). Maybe there are better possibilities: Czechland (like Finland, Poland, ...), the Czech Lands, the Czechlands (like the Netherlands), Bohemia (evokes the Bohemian Kingdom abolished in 1918, Regnum Bohemiae in Latin), Bohemia and Moravia, etc.

Essentially it is impossible to invent a generally accepted artificial one-word name for several historical lands or geographical regions.

Finally the name of our state is the Czech Republic (at least according to Constitution) and not Česko.

Try to invent a one-word name for the UK of GB and NI, or for the SAR. :wink:
Last edited by bibax on 02-Jun-09 13:10, edited 1 time in total.
eso

Postby eso » 02-Jun-09 13:09

bibax wrote:I

Essentially it is impossible to invent a generally accepted one-word name (without any tradition) for several historical lands or geographical regions.

Finally the name of our state is the Czech Republic (at least according to Constitution) and not Česko.

Try to invent a one-word name for the UK of GB and NI, or for the SAR. :lol:

UK is Británie ;)

Anyway, for me discussion about Česko ended, when Czech version of National Geographic changed its name to National Geographic Česko.

In magazines, newspapers and tv is Česko as whole country used frequently - so I believe your battle is already lost :)
bibax

Postby bibax » 02-Jun-09 14:05

In magazines, newspapers and tv is Česko as whole country used frequently - so I believe your battle is already lost.

You are too impatient. Wait at least one hundred years, please. :)

UK is Británie.

Yes, Britain is a short for the UK, Holland is a short for the Netherlands, and Česko (or even Čechy) is an informal short for the Czech Republic. In fact these short names are examples of the so called *pars pro toto.

* Pars pro toto is Latin for "(taking) a part for the whole" where a portion of an object or concept represents the entire object or concept.
wer

Postby wer » 02-Jun-09 15:54

rsalc1 wrote:bibax, wer: I noticed that you both did not translate "takhle" in the sentence below:

Takhle pestrou mozaiku krajinných tvarů nikde jinde nespatříte

I had: This way you...
Your correction is: you can't see/you will not see

How can you translate takhle above?

So, all the colouring of mine was useless. :D

wer wrote:Takhle pestrou mozaiku (krajinných tvarů) nikde jinde nespatříte,

You can’t see (lit. you will not see) a mosaic (of landscape shapes) as colourful as this one anywhere else,

I translated it, but not literally. “Takhle” could be translated in more ways:

in this way
  like this
  so
  thus
  how (+ subordinate clause)
  what about (= co takhle)

But I find none of the variant suitable this very sentence, because the adverb in this sentence modifies the adjective “pestrý”:

takhle pestrý = colourful¹ in this way, colourfull like this

So I opted for a loose translation:

takhle pestrá mozaika = mosaic as colourful as this one

Another acceptable option could be:

such a colourful mosaic

I discarded the option:

so colourful mosaic

because it has slightly different meaning.

Here is better: "The peak is/was afflicted/cursed..." because we are talking a previously mentioned peak (it is a definite peak requiring a definite article)

You are most likely right about the article, but consider that the title is not sentence at all. There is no verb! That is not like a headline of the kind “Minister (is/was) kidnapped”:

the peak (is/was) cursed = vrchol (je/byl) sužován
  the cursed peak = sužovaný vrchol
  the peak cursed by something = vrchol sužovaný něčím
wer

Postby wer » 02-Jun-09 16:10

bibax wrote:…are synonyms like Rakousy/Rakousko, Uhry/Uhersko, Burgundy/Burgundsko, etc.

For me Rakousy and Rakousko are not synonymous, neither Rus and Rusko or Nizozemí and Nizozemsko.

You are too impatient. Wait at least one hundred years, please.

You can’t expect the terminology to be more stable than the political situation.
Swordslayer

Postby Swordslayer » 02-Jun-09 18:59

There is still an ongoing discussion, though the name is already codified and listed in several official documents (see Discussion:République_tchèque or On the geographic name of the Czech Republic). On the other hand, it doesn't mean anyone is forced to use it. Eitherway, the argument of possible confusion with Chechnya ([ˈtʃɛtʃɨn] vs [ˈtʃɛkɪə]) is quite successful, and as such it provides quite a good reason for avoiding this short form.
bibax

Postby bibax » 02-Jun-09 21:45

Dík za link.

Článek pojednává o problematice prosazování užívání oficiálního jednoslovného geografického názvu České republiky, kterým je od r. 1993 název Česko, nejen v běžné mluvě politiků, médií a občanů českého státu, nýbrž i samotných geografů v textech a výstupech odborných.

:lol: Ten dr. Leoš Jeleček je ale srandista. Zejména mě pobavila tahle část zdůvodnění:

Out of the 188 states of the world, the geographic names of only 25 of them are composed of two words. They are mainly African states and insular states of the Caribbean and Pacific region. Among the developed countries, they include only United States (which are nevertheless both in our countries and in the U.S.A. called America), Great Britain or United Kingdom, New Zealand and the Republic of South Africa.

To bychom se dostali do pěkné společnosti. Ještě že máme doktora Jelečka. :D

Nebo tohle:

Stanovisko geografů, jazykovědců, historiků a pracovníků dalších vědních oborů k otázce oficiálního jednoslovného geografického názvu pro Českou republiku.

To mi nějak připomíná 27 umělců, kteří vytvořili Entropu.

Jako aprílová mystifikace je to docela dobré. Asi se hodně lidí nachytalo. :)

Chcete-li se obeznámit i s dalším významným úspěchem dr. Jelečka na poli jazykovědy, pak jděte na
http://necyklopedie.wikia.com/wiki/Brno#Jm.C3.A9no :D
Swordslayer

Postby Swordslayer » 02-Jun-09 23:05

bibax wrote:Jako aprílová mystifikace je to docela dobré. Asi se hodně lidí nachytalo. :)

I guess you've also seen this:
rsalc1

Postby rsalc1 » 03-Jun-09 0:08

wer wrote:
rsalc1 wrote:bibax, wer: I noticed that you both did not translate "takhle" ...

So, all the colouring of mine was useless. :D

wer wrote:Takhle pestrou mozaiku (krajinných tvarů) nikde jinde nespatříte,

You can’t see (lit. you will not see) a mosaic (of landscape shapes) as colourful as this one anywhere else,

I translated it, but not literally. ...
takhle pestrý = colourful; in this way, colourfull like this

But I find none of the variant suitable this very sentence, because the adverb in this sentence modifies the adjective “pestrý”:

The colour-coding was fine. It really helps!
I just got hung up on the fact that I couldn't find a suitable adverb to modify pestrá.

wer wrote:So I opted for a loose translation:

takhle pestrá mozaika = mosaic as colourful as this one

Another acceptable option could be:

such a colourful mosaic

Teď chápu! A loose translation. I got it :idea: Thanks!!!

wer wrote:
rsalc1 wrote:Here is better: "The peak is/was afflicted/cursed..." because we are talking a previously mentioned peak (it is a definite peak requiring a definite article)

You are most likely right about the article, but consider that the title is not sentence at all. There is no verb! That is not like a headline of the kind “Minister (is/was) kidnapped”:

the peak (is/was) cursed = vrchol (je/byl) sužován
  the cursed peak = sužovaný vrchol
  the peak cursed by something = vrchol sužovaný něčím

wer: You are absolutely right. This phrase is a title therefore it's better to say:
"Peak cursed by fire, etc"

Thanks for taking the time to explain. Much appreciated (as we say in the Southern US) :)
Last edited by rsalc1 on 03-Jun-09 0:41, edited 1 time in total.
rsalc1

Postby rsalc1 » 03-Jun-09 0:40

Tady je 2. část článku o Lužických horách. Here is part 2 of the article about the Lusatian Mountains.
I don't get the words in green.

2. část
V současné době je vrchol Klíče holý, ovšem ne vždy tomu tak bylo. Lesní porosty, kdysi dosahující až k nejvyššímu bodu, často sužovaly požáry a jiné katastrofy. Poprvé zdejší les shořel v polovině 19. století, naposledy 26. dubna 1992, kdy oheň zasáhl hlavně severní a severozápadní stranu vrcholu.

Currently the summit of Klíč is bare; however it wasn't always like that. Forest overgrowth, once reaching to the highest spot, often caused (?) fires and other catastrophes. For the first time the forest here burned down in the middle of the 19th century, and for the last time on April 26, 1992, when fire affected mainly the norther and northwestern sides of the summit.

Mezitím, v 80. letech 20. století, odešly vlivem jedovatých severočeských exhalací všechny smrky. Dnes není na severním svahu po smrkovém lese ani památky, roste tu jen tráva s ojedinělými jeřáby a břízami.

Celý kopec trpí kvůli sopečnému skalnímu podloží suchem, na jižním svahu roste teplomilná doubrava, kterou ochraňuje přírodní rezervace. Skály hostí vzácné květy a hnízdí tu i ohrožení dravci.

Meanwhile, in the 1980s all pine trees left (?) influenced by the toxic air pollutants of Northern Bohemia. Today there is no memory of a pine forest on the northern slope; only grass _________ and birch trees grow there.

The entire hill suffers from drought/aridity on account of the vulcanic, rocky subsoil; on the southern slope grow warm-weather (?) oak trees, which are protected by a nature reservation. The rocks ______ unusual flowers and predator birds (have their) nests here (as well).
Pravý přítel přijde když všichni odejdou.