AT&T cellphone - reliable service?

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by kben920, Jul 15, 2009.

1. kben920

kben920 Member

I have an AT&T wireless account and am considering adding international calling to the service for the period we will be in the Czech Republic (the first two weeks of August 2009). This will be used for calls to and from the United States and locally within the Czech Republic.

:?: Can anyone tell me if AT&T service is good in the area bounded roughly by Prague, Cesky Krumlov, Pilsen, Cheb, and Kladno?

:?: Should I try to find a charger compatible with Czech electricity or can one be purchased after I arrive in Prague? I have a Samsung SGH-A707 phone.

2. eso

eso Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what AT&T wireless account is. If it's some kind of wifi conection, then in CR wi-fi is covered very sporadicaly, only in some big cities areas and in most cases not free of charge.

If it's classic cellphone connection, then you have to ask your provider about roaming and which Czech mobile provider is their roaming partner.
    Your phone should support both 900 and 1800 frequencies.

You don't need new charger, but you should get reduction, because USA and CR have different both voltage and sockets.

3. kben920

kben920 Member

Thank you, eso. Yes, this is a regular/classic cell phone. The AT&T online map indicates service is available all through the country, but I know from experience here that just because the map says there is service, it may not be of good quality.

The Czech provider networks used are Telefonica 02 (formerly Eurotel) and Vodafone (Oskar).

Thank you for this suggestion. Is such a device easily available in Prague?

4. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Here I found some info: http://www.wireless.att.com/travelguide ... 03&MNC=380 but I guess best choice is to call AT&T infoline.

Telefonica O2 and Vodafone have coverage over 99.9% of Czech republic area.

Here is coverage map for O2: http://www.cz.o2.com/osobni/pece_a_podp ... kryti.html

I guess so, but as Czech I never needed to look for it in shops. I'm sure that other non Czech contributors on forum will be able to answer this question.

5. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

most phone chargers are dual voltage now so the only thing you will need is an adaptor for your plug - not a transformer. you can find them at most any K-mart next to the luggage.

it will look something like this (which has several adaptors and a transformer)

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_1010 ... 008073411P

6. Petronela

Petronela Well-Known Member

Walmart sells them also.
    As for actual voltage converters, as stated above you wont need them if doodat is already dual-voltage.
    Some small things are dual-voltage these days and don’t even advertise it, so read the box.

7. kben920

kben920 Member

Thank you all for your helping me to understand what I needed to know! As it turns out, my charger is dual-voltage. I have ordered the two plug adapters required for the Czech Republic, and I will add an international calling feature to my phone for a 3-month (minium) period to cover travel times. I'm good to go! :D

8. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

You will have a great time - you are really in for a treat.

9. Irena M

Irena M Well-Known Member

Have a good time! :)

10. kben920

kben920 Member

Thank you ... I'm sure we'll have a good time. I visited in 2001, many of the same places we'll go this time. I've contacted a genealogist who is arranging a tour of some ancestral villages, which will make this trip even more meaningful. :D

11. Lorelai

Lorelai Member

I think AT&T 3G works well. I got the international data plan and had no problems with it, both in the city and in the country, even though I rarely had a WiFi connection (so I was using the phone line). iPhone GPS mapping works wonders in Prague; I went running and "got lost" several times.

I didn't make many calls from my AT&T phone; I found that it is less expensive to buy or bring a small unlocked phone and buy a SIM card there than to pay AT&Ts international rates.