USD notes with stamps on it

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by Alexx, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

I am preparing for trip to India, and I just bought some USD banknotes with several (rubber) stamps on it from both sides.

I only used USD once so far, which was brand new, so I would like to ask if it is normal to have stamps on banknotes in the US. While in the UK, it was pretty common to have some numbers or signatures on pound bills, but never stamps.

Thanks

2. Irena M

Irena M Well-Known Member

I don't think I've ever seen a US dollar bil with any stamps on it.

3. Petronela

Petronela Well-Known Member

I remember seeing it on-and-off while we were stationed in Italy. I never had problems using them anywhere, but yeah it was kind of odd.
    Same as Irena, I don’t remember seeing it in the U.S.
    Could it possibly be a habit of one of the European countries to stamp bills as they count/move/inventory them?

4. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

5. Irena M

Irena M Well-Known Member

Strange; I've never seen that before.

6. Sigma

Sigma Well-Known Member

I have read that some large companies put stamps on bills to let the lower level employees know that the bills are authentic. I am not sure if this is the case, but it could be one possible explanation.

Is the picture you posted one of your bills? I think I see a stamp which reads STB, which could very well be this US government organization - Surface Transportation Board.

http://www.stb.dot.gov/

PSH could be...

http://hqinet001.hqmc.usmc.mil/pp&o/ps/psh/pshHome.asp

Yes, I am bored... :lol:

7. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Yes, those are mine.

8. Sigma

Sigma Well-Known Member

I have also heard that some bigger companies stamp the bills so their lower level employees know that they are not fake.

9. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

Alexx,

I have seen, on rare occasions, $50 and $20 notes with similar rubber stamps.