which type of two-pronged adaptor for CR?

Where to go? What to see? How to get there?

Moderators: Sova, gementricxs, Dana

Michelle Lange

which type of two-pronged adaptor for CR?

Postby Michelle Lange » 11-Sep-09 20:24

Hi, I have two types of european adaptors; both with 2 round prongs but one adaptor's prongs are thicker than the other's; one of these is labeled 'Northern Europe'. The other one probably doesn't apply to CR because it's label only mentions Southern Europe. But would CR be considered Northern Europe? We refer to it in the USA as 'Eastern Europe' but I haven't come across an adaptor labeled for Eastern Europe.
Thank you.
eso

Postby eso » 12-Sep-09 7:37

Michelle Lange wrote:Hi, I have two types of european adaptors; both with 2 round prongs but one adaptor's prongs are thicker than the other's; one of these is labeled 'Northern Europe'. The other one probably doesn't apply to CR because it's label only mentions Southern Europe. But would CR be considered Northern Europe? We refer to it in the USA as 'Eastern Europe' but I haven't come across an adaptor labeled for Eastern Europe.
Thank you.

Look here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets

Majority of Czech plugs is type C or E
When in trouble or in doubt,
run in circles scream and shout.
Zik

Postby Zik » 19-Sep-09 23:27

The Czech Republic uses the same outlet as all other European countries expect of the United Kingdom. So if you ever have been to Europe before, you'll know.

It's better not to say the Czech Republic is in Eastern Europe. Czechs hate it. And I really think it isn't true.

1) Our culture has always been orientated on Western Europe (Germany, Austria, the UK...), not Eastern (Russia, Ukraine...). Check Huntington's theory: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Clash_of_Civilizations

2) The Czech Republic is a member of the EU and the NATO. These organisations contain American, West- and Centraleuropean countries.

3) The Czech Republic is richer than Greece or Portugal. We are on the best way to get the EU average (minimally). Before the WW2, Czechoslovakia was the 5th richest state ever.
bibax

Postby bibax » 20-Sep-09 20:07

Ziku, all your claims are disputable. For example Turkey is an Asian country (I don't count the European part of Istanbul).

And we use another type of socket than Germans. :wink:

France, Czech Republic, Slovakia, etc. use this type:

(the lower hole is for a screw!)
Dannae

Postby Dannae » 28-Sep-09 18:14

Bilbax, I do not think Ziks' claims are disputable - I believe the are very true. Plus you know where the geographical cenre of Europe is, right?

Also if e.g. Austria is counted as West Europe, than Czech Republic must be too. Look at the map :wink:
Wishing to find people with the same roots (e.g. Czech) or interested in learning Czech language.
jen

Postby jen » 28-Sep-09 18:22

You want the one with the thicker prongs. We had horrible problems in Italy, thinking that our Czech plugs would work there, but many of the (older) sockets were only for the thin plugs.
If momma ain't happy, ain't no one happy!
Dannae

Postby Dannae » 28-Sep-09 18:29

jen wrote:You want the one with the thicker prongs. We had horrible problems in Italy, thinking that our Czech plugs would work there, but many of the (older) sockets were only for the thin plugs.
True but I just checked some of my plugs I brought from overseas w/me. So e.g. the extension cord has thicker prongs, cell phone charger thinner.

Also - just reminder - do not forget we have 220V in Europe! My sister in law once burned her hairdryer while she was vacationing in Europe :roll: .
Wishing to find people with the same roots (e.g. Czech) or interested in learning Czech language.
jen

Postby jen » 28-Sep-09 18:39

Ah - that's true. So it probably doesn't matter here in Czecho, but in Italy, specifically Sardinia, some of the sockets weren't grounded, so you couldn't plug in the fat plugs there, plus they have the stupid three pins in a row grounded plugs...

One bit of good only slightly unrelated news - apparently the major cell phone manufacturers have agreed that for the European market, all phones will use mini-USB for their charging sockets (on the phones)....
If momma ain't happy, ain't no one happy!
Alexx

Postby Alexx » 28-Sep-09 18:46

Dannae wrote:Plus you know where the geographical cenre of Europe is, right?

Off topic, but which place do you mean? The one next to golf course 30 km north of Vilnius?
I cesta může být cíl.
The journey is the goal.
bibax

Postby bibax » 28-Sep-09 20:06

Also - just reminder - do not forget we have 220V in Europe!

The nominal voltage in Europe is actually 3 x 400 V. The line-to-earth voltage is 230.94 V (exactly 400 V divided by the square root of 3)!

400 V
------- = 230.94 V (usually truncated to 230 V)
Last edited by bibax on 03-Oct-09 14:47, edited 1 time in total.