Two ladies visiting Praha in June 2010

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by JonathanBarker, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Dobry den

After my two visits to Praha my aunt has shown an interest in seeing Praha herself (she is taking a friend).

They will be visiting in June 2010.

I think my aunt would prefer the quieter side of Praha, probably a concert of classical music, a museum or an art gallery, but I'm also sure the ladies would like to enjoy walks (viewing the fine archetecture) and good food.

From my experience I have some restaurants which are away from the touristy areas.

I believe the Czech Republic is using Crown (korun) but will Korun still be accepted next June prosim.

2. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Oh yes :), unless meteor rock hit both Czech national bank and government building during goverment session, we will not adopt Euro in next 5 years. So if you have some czech money left it still will be valid during your aunts visit.

3. rockyptjoe

rockyptjoe New Member

Alexx....are US dollars accepted in the stores/restaurants?

In terms of exchanging to the koruna, can it still be done at the airport? I visited MANY years ago (1967) and that is where I exchanged my money.

4. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

I have never seen dollars accepted anywhere...

You can exchange money at the airport but you will fare better if you just leave your money in your checking account, bring your debit card, and use the ATM (look for bankomat) at the airport - much better rate. Some US banks charge a "foreign use" fee - check with your bank - if they do, you can minimize the impact by withdrawing larger sums.

Hope you have a super trip!

5. rockyptjoe

rockyptjoe New Member

Thank you Glenn....I use my Bank Card for just about everything here in the states....will check with my bank on fees overseas.

6. Petronela

Petronela Well-Known Member

Also it never hurts to call your bank and let them know of your travel destination, you don’t want your card bring up any red flags and be declined due to “unusual pattern of use” or whatever it is they call it.
    Never had this happened to me but did hear horror stories from other people.

7. rockyptjoe

rockyptjoe New Member

Definitely need to notify your bank. I travel to Mexico frequently, and after 1 charge/purchase on my card, the bank puts a freeze on the account until I contact them (or have called before going).

8. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

I once had a call from my bank becaused of transaction I made via some eshop where I paid using my card, which appeared european, but the shop was registered (tax reasons probably) in Las Vegas which was pretty unusual pattern for my bank.

9. Yvan

Yvan Well-Known Member

This is a good place for money exchange :
    www.prahaexchange.cz
    - just at the centre of city (3 min from Vaclavske namesti)
    - no commission
    - good exchange rates
    - open 7 days a week 9.00-20.00 and some days even during the night till 5 am