US citizen traveling to CzR

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by apolenka, Apr 5, 2010.

1. apolenka

apolenka New Member

Hi, everyone,

I only found the board yesterday and really enjoyed some of the posts over in the culture section.

I have a very pragmatic question though. A friend from the US is coming to visit in a few weeks. Americans don't need visas to enter the CzR and are recommended to carry proof of travelers' health insurance. But I was wondering if there are any US citizens around here who traveled to the CzR recently, say within the past year or two, and what their experience was with the border police at Ruzyne. I would not think that US citizens are given much trouble but who knows.. Do they ask, for instance, for hotel reservations?

The friend will stay at my place, so basically I will be providing him with food and lodging, and thought I'd send an official invitation letter as well. When I looked that up, however, the [Czech] Interior Ministry website said that an invitation letter must be certified by Foreigners' Police... this seems like a huge hassle and I wonder if it's necessary and/or whether a regular, uncertified, letter that I'd mail him would do. ...my hunch is that they may not ask even for that, but was wondering what people's experiences have been.

Thanks a lot in advance.

2. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

Immigration has never done much more that grunt every time I've gone through. :wink:

3. Lorelai

Lorelai Member

I stayed with a friend and no one asked any questions, including where I would be staying.

Were there any forms we were supposed to fill out on the way in? My flight wasn't given any forms. Everything was very laid-back for me.

4. apolenka

apolenka New Member

Thanks so much! That was my hunch but I figured it'd be best to try and eliminate any possible hassles at Ruzyne that could mar the beginning of the visit :D Thanks again!

5. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

I cannot imagine czech imigration officer at the airport asking traveller with the us passport for anything like the proof of hotel reservation. I guess they just grab your passport, look at the photo and to you, say "good morning" and will let you in.