Stay in which Prague districts?

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by Weegie, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Weegie

Weegie Member

My wife and I visited Czech Republic 3 years ago, loved it and want to return this October. We would prefer to spend less on hotels and more on sight-seeing. While in Prague we would be OK with staying 10-15 minutes out of the city to save money. What districts would you recommend or advise to avoid? We're in our 60's and prefer not climbing 3 flights of stairs to a room, but are fine with walking 15 minutes to the metro.

2. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

This isn't exactly the answer you are looking for but, you might want to consider a short term apartment rental. No, you don't have all the amenities that you have in a hotel but, you can fix some of your own meals like breakfast and lunch and I have found the prices reasonable. I usually stay in New Town (Prague 2) and it is very convenient to trams and metro. You can find many listings on the net. Also, take a look at hotels section of this site - you will find many alternatives to being right in Old Town.

3. jrjaks

jrjaks Member

My wife and I have stayed twice at Hotel Anna in Vinohrady and enjoyed it both times. Their web-site is: www.hotelanna.cz It's nice to be able to get away from the crowds.

Very convenient to tram and metro, (a couple blocks from Namesti miru, and a little over a block to tram stops).

It's one flight of stairs from street level to the reception desk, then you can take an elevator to any of the other floors. Breakfast comes with the room and the staff are very helpful. Good luck.

4. Weegie

Weegie Member

Glenn & jrjaks - Thanks for your information. Actually, we've thought about an apartment so we could eat in once in a while. My wife doesn't want to make it a habit, though:). I guess it will depend how much time we spend away from Prague (Brno, Cesky Krumlov, Pardubice) to decide if an apartment will work for us.

5. Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

I suggest checking out Vinohrady. It is a residential area outside the center and covers parts of Prague 2, 3, and 10. The accommodation is less expensive than in the center and there are good connections by tram or metro.

You can read more about the area on our Vinohrady page.

To give you an idea regarding hotel pricing, I created the following link (goes to our partner's site). Just enter your dates.
    3 and 4 star hotels in Prague 2 sorted by review score

Jake, I have been by the Anna Hotel many times, but have never stayed there, so it was good to see your feedback on the hotel. Based on review scores and knowing their location, you could also take a look at Hotel Lunik and Apart Hotel Susa. The rooms at the Susa have a kitchenette.

6. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

Vinohrady is an excellent suggestion - it is a great neighborhood (some of my favorite watering holes are there) and very pretty. In fact, it is the area that I have been considering buying in.

7. petri

petri Well-Known Member

Use any of those web hotel search engines (like www.travelnow.com or hrs.com ) You will find lots of cheap hotels close to metro stations, like the Fortuna hotels (in calm residential areas), cheapest offers are around 25-30 $!

8. Linda/Prague

Linda/Prague New Member

Hi, we offer nice and cheap apartments just in JOSEFOV district which is very quite and out of noisy trams or night clubs.
    Check out www.prestigeapartments.cz and don't hesitate to contact me if you know when exactly you be coming. Hope you enjoy your trip to Prague!