Where to eat and how much to pay

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by Tagarela, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Tagarela

Tagarela Well-Known Member

Ahoj,

It is me again.

I'd like to know some sugestions of where to eat and how much is reasonable to pay for breakfast, lunch, dinner.

As for my personal tastes, I don't like read meat nor pasta - yes, you've read correctly, I don't eat spaghetti, raviolli, etc - but I eat pizza =). I eat chicken, fish and pork. I like vegetables in general too. And I dont drink alcohol (going to Czech Land and not tasting their pivo must be a kind of sin :D).

Everybody I talk to says that it is very cheap to eat in Czech Republic. I myself have created a thread long ago about costs here in the forum... well...

So, if I want to take breakfast in a bakery or café - with some milk with chocolate, bread with cheese and a piece of cake how much would I pay? Is it to find some nices places for these in the center?

How about going to have lunch? I'd like to go to good restaurants, but not fancy places. Something with a good and clean food =)

I'd also like to try some Czech dishes, I'm not certain what would be good. Sometimes I hear about bramborák...it sounds good.

Thank you in advance.

2. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

I am not sure about breakfast, but, outside of the very center, most restaurants offer daily menu for lunch - soup + main course for 100-120 CZK (5-6 USD). Look around, avoid places with lots of tourists, and go where locals go. I work in Karlin (5 mins by metro or tram from the centre), there are many good places to eat czech food, pizza ... for reasonable prices.

Dinner prices in the center will be around 300 CZK, outside say 150 for the meal.

There of course are places more expensive, usually foreign restaurants (who mainly aim for czechs rather then tourists), I like Brasilero near Staromestske Namesti.

3. Tagarela

Thank you for the suggestions!
    Brasileiro? O! Is the owner Brazilian? Perhaps it is an option if I'm with homesickness =)

4. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Do not know, but most waiters there was latinos.

5. Zik

Zik Well-Known Member

Outside of Prague, you'll usually eat well and cheaply, but in Prague, you have to choose very well. Don't be cought in a tourist trap in the center, where you'll eat pseudo-Czech dishes for 300 CZK (and beer for 60 CZK). I recommend you (it's not a commercial) the restaurant "U Havelské koruny" in the Havelská Street (Havelská ulice), near the Wenceslaus place, close to the Estates Theater (Stavovské divadlo). It's a self-service restaurant. I always go there if I'm in Prague, and you may meet there famous Czechs sometimes, too (for example Ladislav Smoljak, how died not long ago, could be seen regurlarly there).

http://www.nelso.cz/cz/place/4838/

6. Tagarela

Thank you, Zik!

How much in average cost a lunch in Havelská?

So, the better places to eat usually are out of the center? How about eating in shopping malls?

7. Zik

Zik Well-Known Member

Well, Havelská is actually not outside of the center. Of course, restaurants outside of the center are cheaper, but you can eat cheaply in the centre (this is an example) or expansively outside of it. It's good to search well.

For a good lunch in Havelská koruna, you should pay about 100 CZK „for everything“ - soup, meal and drink, but even cheaper, and they cook well. This price would be cheap even hier, in Jičín.

The restaurant has just one disadvantage - the menu is not in English, just in Czech. But - it's hung outside, in the street, so you have time to translate the names. The stuff speaks English, so you can ask for help. Or just ask for svíčková, they always have it - it's probably the most delicious and known food of the Czech cuisine. Dumplings are paid separately, but the price is not worth speaking.

8. Tagarela

Hello,

Thank you once more Zik! I'll try to step by this restaurant then =)

Any more tips?

9. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

See you might have to spend some time around Florenc, I often go to Hotel Mucha near by - just some 100 m from metro exit - where I like to have their daily lunch menu - selection from say 6-8 main courses, 2 soups, , and some desert (salad, piece of cake), for 91 CZK, with drink (beer/coke/fanta/sprite) for 112 CZK (however for this price you can have anything from the menu, not just pre-selected 6-8 courses).

I guess most local people do not go there, because they think hotel restaurant will be expensive, but it is actually not.

Just across the street there is restaurant "U českého lva" (By the czech lion), good czech dishes too. Nearby there also is "Pivovarsky klub" (Brewery club) which despite its name is not some low class pub, but rather place where many englishs speaking "immingrants" go, little bit more expensive then those above, but food there is excellent. Not speaking of the beer - they offer 6 beers on tap, and some more then 150 bottled from round the world. Very close to Florenc Bus Station (150 m), on Krizikova street, just in front of Karlinske Divadlo (Theatre of Karlin) main entrance - any local will know where this teatre is when you ask in Florenc area.

10. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

I remember Pivovarsky klub :D

BTW, looks like I will be in Prague sometime between September 2 and 10.

and, keeping on the subject, if it is still there, there was a nice little cafeteria on Dlouhá near the hostel - reasonable and pretty good food...

11. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Hi Glenn, hurry up, as I am leaving September 4th in the morning... maybe we will meet at Heathrow :-D

12. Petronela

Petronela Well-Known Member

Tagarela, for the times you don’t really feel like dealing with sit-down restaurants, grocery store deli and bakery sections are options too.
    Fresh bakery pastries go great with morning coffee and assortment of cold salads in deli sections make awesome quick snack/light meal.

13. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

Lucky Glenn making another trip to Prague. What's up with that?

14. Tagarela

If it is not too much to ask, could you suggest me some names? =D

It's tomorrow!!! :)

In a fortnight from now I'll post my feedback on everything I have asked here, I promise =)

15. Petronela

Petronela Well-Known Member

Its been about 8 years since I've been to Praha itself, so store names escape me. My trips are almost always centered around Moravia. Sorry. Maybe some of the locals could fill in.
    But from what I remember the small “potraviny” and “pekarny” stores were everywhere and then of course there are large supermarkets too. As for pastries themselves, look for kolače or buchty, filled with jam or sweetened farmers cheese or poppy seeds.
    From cold salads my favorite has always been “vlašský salat”, it's a mayonnaise based salad with some lunch meat chopped in it and some vegetables and maybe a potatoes (never tried to make it so no clue of ingredient) eat it with fresh bun (rohlik). Absolutely not healthy but absolutely delicious.
    Have a great trip and don't be afraid to explore “off the beaten path” that's where usually the most fun is.

16. stepan

stepan Well-Known Member

vlašský salat - my mother use to make it and I make it every so often - especially in the summer.

She used 1 cup diced ham, 1 cup diced carrots, 1 cup peas. Mix it together with mayonaise (she made her own home made). Put a little lemon juice into it. Serve it with a wedge of lemon for more flavor and good rye bread or a "slany rohlik". YUM YUM....