Where to eat and how much to pay

Where to go? What to see? How to get there?

Moderators: Sova, gementricxs, Dana

Alexx

Postby Alexx » 29-Jul-10 7:21

Hi Glenn, hurry up, as I am leaving September 4th in the morning... maybe we will meet at Heathrow :-D
I cesta může být cíl.
The journey is the goal.
Petronela

Postby Petronela » 29-Jul-10 16:00

Tagarela, for the times you don’t really feel like dealing with sit-down restaurants, grocery store deli and bakery sections are options too.
Fresh bakery pastries go great with morning coffee and assortment of cold salads in deli sections make awesome quick snack/light meal.
scrimshaw

Postby scrimshaw » 31-Jul-10 23:20

Lucky Glenn making another trip to Prague. What's up with that?
Jsem zvědav, jak by to vypadalo, kdybych byl přivolávačem deště. Jak by to vypadalo, kdybych uměl přivolat déšt'?
Mám pocit ale, že se to bohužel nikdy nedozvím.
Tagarela

Postby Tagarela » 01-Aug-10 5:13

Petronela wrote:Tagarela, for the times you don’t really feel like dealing with sit-down restaurants, grocery store deli and bakery sections are options too.
Fresh bakery pastries go great with morning coffee and assortment of cold salads in deli sections make awesome quick snack/light meal.

If it is not too much to ask, could you suggest me some names? =D

It's tomorrow!!! :)

In a fortnight from now I'll post my feedback on everything I have asked here, I promise =)
Petronela

Postby Petronela » 01-Aug-10 17:07

Its been about 8 years since I've been to Praha itself, so store names escape me. My trips are almost always centered around Moravia. Sorry. Maybe some of the locals could fill in.
But from what I remember the small “potraviny” and “pekarny” stores were everywhere and then of course there are large supermarkets too. As for pastries themselves, look for kolače or buchty, filled with jam or sweetened farmers cheese or poppy seeds.
From cold salads my favorite has always been “vlašský salat”, it's a mayonnaise based salad with some lunch meat chopped in it and some vegetables and maybe a potatoes (never tried to make it so no clue of ingredient) eat it with fresh bun (rohlik). Absolutely not healthy but absolutely delicious.
Have a great trip and don't be afraid to explore “off the beaten path” that's where usually the most fun is.
stepan

Postby stepan » 31-Jan-11 2:47

vlašský salat - my mother use to make it and I make it every so often - especially in the summer.

She used 1 cup diced ham, 1 cup diced carrots, 1 cup peas. Mix it together with mayonaise (she made her own home made). Put a little lemon juice into it. Serve it with a wedge of lemon for more flavor and good rye bread or a "slany rohlik". YUM YUM....