in need of opinion

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by Petronela, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Petronela

Petronela Well-Known Member

Hi guys,
    I’m in need of your wisdom/opinion. :idea:
    An elderly lady I’ve known for a while is planning her first trip to Czech to visit her pen-pal friend she’s been corresponding with for (at least) 30 years.

I was able to answer most of her questions but really got stucked on the following:
    - She asked me about Travelers Checks. Are they convenient/easy to cash away from main tourist areas? When I travel, it’s with combination of cash and plastic so have absolutely no experience with Travelers Checks.
    - A hostess gift. Any suggestion? She will be staying with them for 5 days. What is popular these days with older generation? My suggestion was a mantle clock, they fit into a carry-on and should pose no issues with custom and are small enough to fit with any decor, but she wasn’t sure about that idea…. Absolutely any idea would be appreciated.

Also, if anyone could think of any suggestion for an elderly traveler please feel free to add it. With exception of high blood pressure medication she is in good health and has no disabilities. She will be staying in small village south of Plzen if it makes any deference…

Thank you in advance :)

2. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

Traveler's Checks would be difficult at best. Checks are not very common in the Czech Republic (no pun intended but taken :wink: )

ATM's are very common and would be much easier to use. Credit (debit) cards are accepted at many places and even more so in tourist areas.

ATM's generally give you the best exchange rate of the day whereas traveler's checks would probably need to be cashed at money changers at a bad rate.

Sorry, no ideas about gifts...

3. Petronela

Thank you Glenn, I will print out your answer for her.
    And yeah I think it is cute that Czechs don’t care for checks :p once again, thank you :)

4. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

As for Traveler´s Checks, they can be cashed at any bank with the same exchange rate as the ATMs offer; however, credit or debit cards are much more convenient and widely used here.
    I am not sure about the mantle clock; maybe a book would be more appreciated, namely one showing nature beauties of the area the lady comes from (a national park or seaside or mountains) or anything really American (e.g. a small piece of patchwork - maybe a handbag, or a hand-woven scarf or wrap made by local artists).

5. bibax

bibax Well-Known Member

Check if Czechs accept your cheques! :)

The most common travellers' cheques accepted in our banks (and other places) are: American Express Cheques, Thomas Cook MasterCard Travellers Cheques a Interpayment Visa Travelers Cheques.

The bank fee is usually 2% (if "Receiver pays the fee/La taxe est payée par l'accepteur").

BTW, the spell checker of this site does not accept traveller's cheques. :?

6. Petronela

Thank you Jana and Bibax, that’s why I love this site, everyone is so kind.
    I do like the idea of local arts & crafts, maybe she will be able to find something she likes. Definitely worth exploring I would think.
    Thank you all!