Just back from Prague

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by horatio, May 21, 2004.

1. horatio

horatio Member

Hello:

I'm new to the site. I was just in Prague for two weeks in March and saw some amazing things. I also knew some natives who took me around to places only the locals usually go to. If anyone is interested I can share some experiences.

2. shaz

shaz Member

Im going tomorrow! Any tips or good places to eat or drink will great. :)

Unfortunately the marathan will be on, i was hoping for not too busy..:(

3. horatio

horatio Member

Kent:

I actually ran the Prague half-marathon when I was there in late March. It was a good way to see the city. If the marathon is organized as well as the half-marathon the city should only be congested for half the day and it should clear up. But I've got bad news for you if you don't like crowds. Prague is very popular this time of year as you're probably well aware and marathon or no marathon it is going to be extremely crowded.

As far as places to eat and drink I recommend stopping in various establishments to experiment a little bit because everyone has different tastes. But there are two restaurants I would recommend. Each is on a different end of the Charles bridge. At the Malastranske Namesti end of the Charles bridge try the Nebozizek restaurant. It has great beer and atmosphere. At the opposite end of the Charles Bridge (closest to Karlovy Lazne - billed as the biggest night club in the world) try Cafe Creperie located at Krizovnicke namesti 3.

4. shaz

shaz Member

Thanks for the info, not sure I like the word extremely! :cry:

Oh well im sure I will have a fab time, & if the marathan is over in half a day, not too bad. I will certainly try the two places you have said & report back to you. Thanks for replying. :D

5. ondrejana

ondrejana Well-Known Member

Hi horatio (and shaz),

I actually didn't believe it myself (the claim that the nightclub was the largest in the world...), and so did some sleuthing around on the east end of Karluv most. It actually boasts itself to be the largest nightclub in MIDDLE EUROPE.. isn't that interesting? They wanted a claim to fame, and so found a way to distinguish itself.

No kidding! Didn't know that there was a crepe place there; is it inside the little hallway mall where there is a pizzeria, or outside near the Smetana museum? Have to remember to try it.

Did you ever get to try the creperie place on Kozna street, right off the square? Or the hidden one inside of a dvur that is super romantic, either right off of Na Perstyne or off of Na Prikope, can't recall which.

I had wanted to try Nebozizek when we went on the Lanovka, but it seemed to be a tourist trap? but if you say the ambience is great, another one to put on my to-do list

Ever tried Cafe Mlejnice? it's ever so popular...behind the square, on same street as giovanni Pizzeria on Kozna too (first street off Zelezna)

Hope you had a great time in praha, S.
    Jana

6. horatio

horatio Member

Hey Jana,

Sounds like you visit Prague often. When do plan on visiting again?
    The next time I'm there I'll have to try some of those places you suggested.

I may be wrong on the name of that restaurant across from Lazne. I do not remember it being a crepe place. I'll have to check with my friends.

Maybe I can clarify a bit more where it is located. If you begin walking from the Malostranske side of the Charles bridge and head to the opposite side, as you get near the end you take the stairs to the left and follow the path toward the restaurant. You have to descend another flight of stairs to get into the restaurant. It's one of these sunken places.

Take care.

7. Rushy

Rushy Member

hi

do you know the place underneath charles bridge looking across at largest club in middle europe, late at night it has dj's on but the food during the day and early evening is pretty good and the views are amazing. or the restaurant at the hotel 'golden sickle' i think thats the name, just off charles bridge the food is ok but the service is awful.

rushy