Traveling from Prague to Budapest

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by amy, Apr 8, 2000.

1. amy

amy New Member

We are flying into Prague, but spending our time in Budapest. What is the easiest/cheapest way to get from Prague to Budapest? Renting a car is around $400 and the train will end up being about $300 round trip for both of us!

Also, is the overnight train really that unsafe? Are there compartments or seats?

2. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Amy, as far as I know, taking the train is usually the cheapest way to travel in the Czech Republic (and probably in Europe in general), especially considering the expense PER PERSON. However, if a car rental for your entire time would cost only a $100 more than two return train tickets, then driving might be a good idea because it would give you more flexibility and independence on your trip. It would also enable you to go at your own pace and take any side trips if you wanted to. In that case, you would have to consider the price of gas, which is roughly $0.70 per liter in the Czech Republic.
    Taking the overnight train may be unsafe but I wouldn't generalize. There are instances when something happens, things get stolen, etc., but if you're careful and travel with someone else, there's a very good chance that you'll be fine. Sometimes there are police on overnight trains to keep an eye on things.
    As far as compartments and seats go, a long-distance train will always have compartments. Some IC (InterCity) and EC (EuroCity) trains have both, so you can choose. If you plan to take an overnight train, you may want to get a couchette though.
    I hope you have a great trip!