when is it winter in cz?

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by nuwan, Oct 6, 2003.

1. nuwan

nuwan Member

hi

i just moved to the czech republic, olomouc.

and i would like to know when winter normally starts.

2. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

Now - first snow in mountains reported yesterday [​IMG]

Oficially the winter starts 20th December, the "winter months" are December, January, February.

Olomous, afaik, lies quite in a lowland, so you should expect first snow in the end of November.

3. Lucinka

Lucinka Member

I dont know where are you from,but the winter in Czech Republic isnt anything nice.Do you like Olomouc??I live there too

4. nuwan

nuwan Member

hi
    im in Olomouc, studying at Palacky [​IMG]

its pretty nice, it looks a lot better overal compared to Prague (in certain areas at least).

How about you? student?

5. Lucinka

Lucinka Member

What do you study??Where are you from??Olomouc isnt so bad.....i dont like winter and the weather

6. nuwan

nuwan Member

Im studying Medicine, the english course, im from the UK

you?

7. Lucinka

Lucinka Member

Can i ask you,why did you choose Czech Repblic??How long have you been here??I live near Olomouc almost all my life...... [​IMG])

8. nuwan

nuwan Member

[​IMG] a number of reasons to why i choose olomouc;
    A. i wanted to study aboard
    B. its easier to get into than most universities in london [​IMG]

i think olomouc is a great town, its very peaceful, however i still miss london [​IMG]

I do dislike the train ride from Prague to Olomouc, its over 3 hours!! it takes one and a half hours to get from london to prague

9. Lucinka

Lucinka Member

I see,it has to be hard to be away from your home....but i think you will like it here soon [​IMG])Travelling in Czech republic is......not good.I am looking forward when i ll be back in Malta,there it s really easier.There is no destination which is far.But i have to wait until December [​IMG](

10. nuwan

nuwan Member

so you are originally from malta? cool, that place is nice. My parents are from Sri Lanka [​IMG], so ive lived in 3 countries including CZ. (England, Sri Lanka and Czech Republic).

I met a person from Malta, i've seen pictures of it and it looks great, similar to the maldives [​IMG]

11. Lucinka

Lucinka Member

No I am not!!!!But i spent there a wonderful time during my summer holidays.I found there many firends.....and I d like to go there in December again.Sorry for my English,it s bad:O(Which one do you like the most,i suppose London,dont you??

12. nuwan

nuwan Member

each country is different. Sri Lanka (Colombo) is a great place to relax and enjoy yourself, while London is a great place to work but not to have fun (as there are sooo many bars over there) and Olomouc is just a peaceful town, i'll admit its too quite for me [​IMG] but i should get used to it.

As for you english its fine, dont worry about it, its nice to meet someone from the Czech Republic that can speak good english [​IMG]

13. Ani

Ani Well-Known Member

Ahoj! I hope you don't mind me joining in but I am Maltese and I love the Czech Republic:) I've been there 4 times already, the last time was in August when I took a one month intensive course in Czech at Charles University. I'm glad you liked Malta, Lucinko and I hope you manage to come again in December:))

14. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

Sorry if this is off topic, but I'd like to react to the bit about Czech transportation. Overall, I think that the public transportation in the Czech Republic is very good. Train transportation especially is great in my opinion. Trains usually run like clockwork and there are many connections - just from Prague to Olomouc there are 21 trains a day! You can get almost anywhere by train, they're cheap, clean and reasonably comfortable. I know that Ceske drahy still have a ways to go but I can see improvements every time I come to visit from the US. It's always refreshing to have this freedom to move around without having to drive everywhere (public transportation is almost nonexistent in a large part of the United States). There's even talk about introducing high-speed trains in the Czech Rep., so let's keep our fingers crossed!

15. nuwan

nuwan Member

hey no problem, the more the better [​IMG]

the public transport is great compared to many countries including the uk, but i dislike the 3 hour train ride from Prague to Olomouc, otherwise i can't really find any faults in the system. I heard that the airport in either Brno or Olomouc is going to be opened for commerical flights once CZ joins the EU.

@ani, just wondering what course did you do at Charles? i was going to go to Charles uni to do medicine. The ehglish course is in Pilzen which didn't look very inviting, which is why i switched to Palacky.

16. Lucinka

Lucinka Member

nuwan-thank you very much [​IMG])And what ybout your Czech??Are you going to learn it??I f you want i can help you with czech and you can help me with English.BTW:tomororow i ll be probably examin from English(the subject is Great Britain) [​IMG](
    Bongu Ani,kif int?? [​IMG])I am really glad that i met here somebody from Malta.It s great!!Where do you exactly live??When i was there in summer,i lived one month in Lija and then 2 weeks in Marsa.It was amazing time.I studied in university too ,but English [​IMG])

17. Ani

Ani Well-Known Member

Ahojky!
    nuwan - I'm learning Czech coz I just fell in love with Prague when I visited it for the first time, so it was an intensive 4 week course in the Czech language at Charles University:)

Lucinko - Tajba grazzi! A ty? Jak se mas? I live in Swieqi which is close to Paceville, I'm sure you must have gone there for some entertainment!! Were you studying English when you were in Malta? I used to teach English to students at NSTS:)

18. Lucinka

Lucinka Member

Ani-Mhux hazin,grazzi.Yes,i know where is it.But honesty during my 6 weeks in Malta i was in Paceville only 2 or 3 times.Maybe it was because i was rarely with my shoolmates.I spent almost all time with my maltese friends.It was great because i saw and was at the place which the others werent.I spent lot of nights in Marsaskala and other places like this,where it isnt full of turists.aah...it reminds me beautifil times.....i was study at NSTS(at university).I m looking forward to going to Malta again so much......surely also because i have a boyfriend there....isnt czech for you difficult??Do you have any chance to practise it??

19. Ani

Ani Well-Known Member

Ahoj Lucinko! Ano, cesky jazyk je moc tezky! I have one lesson a week with my Czech teacher and I have a couple of friends in Prague and they help me a little bit thru emails:) So you wish to be back in Malta and I would love to be back in Prague!! Next week there is Czech week in Malta and they are showing 5 films by Sverak plus other activities. I will be going with my friend Jana who is married to a Maltese man:) at least I can hear Czech spoken again!

20. Lucinka

Lucinka Member

So you have czech teacher in Malta??It s great.For me it s more difficult.I would really love to learn a bit maltese,but here it s impossible to find anyone who could speak maltese.I have some textbook,but.....it s not quiet good.I f you d like to have another czech frend just let me know:O)I could help you to practise your czech and you could help me with maltese.What do you think??
    You have Czech week there??I cant believe it.I am sure you will enjoy those films.Tell me more about it.Where is it going to be??And which other activities will be there??I am really suprised