Hostels in Pardubice

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by Allyna, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Allyna

Allyna Member

Hello, I am planning a vist to your lovely country for the World Junior Hockey Championships this December. I'm Canadian but I'll be living in the UK at that time.

I'm having quite a bit of difficulty finding an appropriate hostel (I'm a student and unfortunately cannot spend a lot of money on accomodations). I have found some lists of hostels online but only a couple have websites, and I don't know which is the best in terms of location, since I'd like something within walking distance of the CEZ Arena in Pardubice.

As for booking, would e-mail suffice? There don't seem to be any that offer online booking. If I were to telephone, is it likely that someone there would speak English? I'm just worried that with an event like this tournament going on, rooms might go fast! Of course, it's also the Christmas/New Year holidays.

Thank you, I really appreciate any and all advice. :)

2. Sigma

Sigma Well-Known Member

3. Allyna

Allyna Member

That's the website I was looking at, yes, thanks. I guess what I should do is try to find a good map of Pardubice and figure out where in the city they are ...

4. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

Use online map and give the exact address, e.g. here

5. Allyna

Allyna Member

That map has been very helpful, thank you.

6. Sigma

Sigma Well-Known Member

I know I had problems finding cheaper accommodation in Pardubice, but this was five years ago. Penzions can also be a good option.

Apparently the University of Pardubice has a hostel, but I wonder if it is only open in the summer? It is about 1km from the arena.

7. Allyna

Allyna Member

Sorry, but what are penzions?

8. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Penzion is type of small hotel. It is a house or villa (often a family home) in which people on vacation or lodgers rent one or more rooms for one or more nights.

I believe English equivalent is Boarding house or Bed and Breakfast.

[​IMG]

9. Shaun

Shaun New Member

Hi Allyna,
    I am also from Canada and going to the world juniors and so far the only hostel I've been able to find is the Hostel Trim on the Pardubice city website. Have you had any luck finding anything else? I was at the tournament last year and it was also hard to find a cheap place to stay. Let me know if you've found anything else because it would be nice to have more then just one option.

10. Allyna

Allyna Member

Yeah, Hostel Trim is the one I ended up booking. The price was pretty good (about $22.50 a night Canadian) and the location seemed fine too. I guess I gave up looking just to have it done and know I had a bed, haha.

Good luck and see you over there! :)

11. Gone1987

Gone1987 Member

I am in the same boat as Allyna. I am Canadian but will be studying in Engalnd. I have booked a flight to Prague for the world junior championships. As I understand it I need to show proof of a ticket showing that I am leaving the Czech Republic. I want to take the train back through Europe. Other than Eurorail are there any other trains that could take me back through Europe from the Czech Republic?

12. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

This is not america :), density of railways here in europe is much higher.

Try for example www.idos.cz (also in english version).

13. Gone1987

Gone1987 Member

Děkuji. I cannot wait for my trip.

14. Allyna

Allyna Member

I knew there'd be lots of Canadians there! :lol:

Are trains, say from Prague to Pardubice, generally like the ones in London where I can just buy a ticket the day of, or should I try to buy one in advance?

Thanks for all the help.

15. Sigma

Sigma Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of hundred Canadians at the various WJHC games.

You shouldn't have any problems buying a train ticket the day of your travel.

16. cdninkyoto

cdninkyoto New Member

:p See you in Pardubice!!!
    A friend from Vancouver and I will be going to the tournament as well. Thanks to your posts we have narrowed down our search for accommodation.
    Get the Gold!