Telling Off Suspicious People

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by MacDude, Oct 4, 2007.

1. MacDude

MacDude Member

I'm travelling to Czechia in a few weeks with my sister, and she's getting a bit jittery and nervous (with good reasons). Because last time she was in Europe (as a solo traveler), some Gyspies cornered her on the subway in Prague, and she got seriously pickpocketed (lost her IDs, money, and camera). :(

Since we'll be travelling somewhat extensively around Czechia, I think it'd help if I know some Czech phrases to politely (but firmly) warn off shady characters that approach us (like aggressive vendors, prostitutes, or suspicious gangs).

I can say some basic phrases and pronounce Czech words pretty okay, but I don't know how to say these in Czech:

1) "Do not bother us. We are busy."
    2) "Please get out of our way!" (if we get encircled or surrounded)
    3) "Go away or I will call the police."
    4) "Hey, these people are pickpockets" (We'll use this phrase very carefully... a last reserve when we are really being pickpocketed)
    5) Any other effective warnings?

I hope I don't sound too paranoid... but my sister's bad experience really left us think hard about preparing ourselves....

Any help is appreciated. Díky moc!

Edward

2. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

I will let someone else to translate the sentences, because I do not know the way how to write it the way you can read it correctly.

However:

1.) If you meet pickpockets, you will probably find out too late (personal experience from Prague)

2.) If you get cornered by Gypsies in subway (not only in Prague, but elsewhere english is not native language), and you will try to tell them of using some phrases in local language with strong US/Can. accent, you just encourage them, because they will know you are not local. (My personal opinion)

3.) Advice - Act like a local :) in Prague, London, NY or Vancouver, and use your common sense to prevent such kind of events. Tourist are easiest target for pickpockets or such kind of people everywhere in the world, so If you look like one (especially in places where tourists are not common - suburbs, towns out-of-beaten paths) you are a target, especially if you are alone. But in center of Prague, for example, density of tourists is higher than density of locals.

Btw: Thanks for using word "Czechia", I wish it is used more often.

Czechia is the official one-word name of the Czech Republic. Full name "Czech Republic" should only be used in official documents and titles of official institutions. In all other cases, the one-word name Czechia should be preferred.

3. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

I have found a simple "Zmiz!" (Get lost) to be effective in the very few times I was bothered by someone. If you are in Prague, as in any big city, just be aware of your surroundings and mind your possessions.

4. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Sure, simple phrase like this is much more useful than complicated sentences like "Please get out of our way!" - "Jděte nám z cesty, prosím".

5. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

Maybe need to tell people how to say it - I'm sure you would wince hearing most of us pronounce it as if it were spelled Čekia in Czech.

:)

6. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Perhaps Local lingo could put it on the phrasebook section.

7. MacDude

MacDude Member

That's a good piece of advice.. unfortunately it'd harder (for us) than you might expect. Both my sister and I are fine arts students, avid photographers, and architecture ethusiasts. So we each will bring a set of professional camera equipment (telephoto, wide-angle lenses, ultra-zoom camera tube).

In addition, we'd kinda need to talk to each other from time to time? :D We're quiet people, but unless we whisper, our words are still audible to nearby bystanders and would surely give away the fact that we're not locals.

Knowing that we'd probably never fool any local thinking that we're their compatriots -- we therefore strategized that, English cautions might not even be understood and could just outright confirm our tourist status. So if we said some Czech warnings, perhaps it'd be more effective.

But you're right that my original sentences are probably too long to be effective.
    sounds like it'd work!

Any other useful phrases?

8. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

I read somewhere, that "Hoří!" ("Fire!") is much more useful than "Pomoc!" ("Help!"). It simply attract people's attention.

However, if you start using offensive language, hurling invectives and dirty rude words in english, be sure everybody undestands :).

9. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

Btw: Thanks for using word "Czechia", I wish it is used more often.

Why, DjAvatar? I think it looks 'wrong' and too much like Chechnya in Russia. But even worse is that it encourages English speakers to call the country 'Czech', which in English is the adjective or the language. While I agree that it's a bit of a mouthful to have to say "Czech Republic" all the time, nothing sounds dafter to me than "I have often been to Czech." Is is possible to say "čr", like we say "the UK" in English?

Czechia is the official one-word name of the Czech Republic. Full name "Czech Republic" should only be used in official documents and titles of official institutions. In all other cases, the one-word name Czechia should be preferred.[/quote]

10. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

OK, what about not using word Georgia for one of US states, because of one of former republic of USSR has same name?

Wrong? Why? I need more information :)

In czech, yes, we are using just "ČR". But how would you use it in english? Nobody will undestand you probably ("CZR"?).

11. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Considering that we grew up saying "Czechoslovakia", Czech Republic isn't much of a mouthful at all. :)

Although I'm ashamed to admit that many Americans remain unaware that Czechoslovakia was split into Czech Republic and Slovakia. Therefore, many times we must continue to use Czechoslovakia or some will not have a clue as to where we are referring. :(