Prague, 4 nights... where do I spend the other 3?

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by Colesa, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Colesa

Colesa Member

Hi everyone!

As you can see in some messages below, finally I've bought my flight tickets from Girona to Brno (I arrive here on November 28th); I have already the flight to Amsterdam (leaving December 5th, thanks everyone who advised me to take a look to SkyEurope... worth the visit!!). And I have a wonderful apartment in Prague from December 1st to 5th.

So I have 3 nights to spend in the Czech Republic before going to Prague; I'm going to hire a car so moving around won't be a problem (at least I hope so :p).

Where would you advice me to spend these first 3 nights, and what to see in this time?

Thanks a lot in advance, have a nice day!

2. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

I can't believe that no-one has replied to you yet! Let me give you my favourite: Cesky Krumlov. It's like a fairy tale village and deserves at least a one night stop. Obviously it depends on your budget but the best hotel is Hotel Ruze and it's lovely, like a medieval castle. By UK standards, it's reasonable and certainly worth it.

3. czechchris

czechchris Well-Known Member

Cesky Krumlov - seconded. Depending on budget, Penzion Ingrid is close to the old town and was very good when I stayed there a couple of years ago. We also went to Klet and Rozmberk while staying in the region.
    See here for pictures.

4. Colesa

Colesa Member

Oh, thank you Polednikova and Czechchris! Everybody has told me that Cezky Krumlov is so beautiful! I have to take a good map and make a route between Brno and Prague, and point where to sleep these three nights and what to see on the road.

I'll mark Cezky Krumlov, then ;) Thanks for the advice (I'll take a look at the different type of acommodation, depending on the price :p)!

5. Troll

Troll Well-Known Member

From Brno to Prague you can go through the following remarkable towns:

Telč
    Jindřichův Hradec
    Třeboň
    Český Krumlov
    České Budějovice
    Hluboká nad Vltavou
    Tábor
    Konopiště

6. Colesa

Colesa Member

Thanks Troll!

As I arrive to Brno airport... is Brno worth the visit, al least for spending there one morning, or do you think I'll better leave as soon as possible to see the other cities and villages?

7. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

I guess it is worth to stay, at least for the day you arrive. If you are going by Ryanair (5€+luggage fee, all inclusive - nice job), you have almost whole day after landing, so you can spend it in Brno or around.

But, as I wrote to you before, most castles are closed during winter period, so check before.

You can visit caves in Moravsky Kras - the are open during your first days in here - see its webpage. At least Sloupskošošůvské and Punkevní are worth to see. And it is less than 50 km from Brno!

8. Colesa

Colesa Member

Yes, I'm flying with Ryanair... as I'm from Girona, it's perfect (not to mention the price, of course ;) ) I remember your indications about the castles being closed in winter, I have to check their schedules.

Thanks for all your replies, I can't wait to be there!

Edit: I've just seen the Punkva Caves... how beautiful! This is going to make the decision more difficult... only three nights and so much to visit!!

9. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Yeap, I am flying in December with Ryanair to Tenerife, and it costs me 12€ (return, all inclusive) - from Frankfurt-Hahn.

10. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Be careful - in winter season there are only two or three tours to caves a day.

11. Colesa

Colesa Member

Yes, I've checked the schedules, I don't think there would be any problem with that... the only one may be the lack of time to see everything I would like to :p (and maybe... the cold!!)

12. Polednikova

Hope you're going to buy us all a beer when you get to Prague! Only joking but it would actually be quite nice to meet you. You sound so enthusiastic about the country that we have all chosen to live in that it would be interesting to hear what you think of it when you've had chance to see some of it.

13. Colesa

Colesa Member

I offer some beers... in return, I demand a free Prague tour from an experienced guide as you! :p Joking again, but that's true, it would be nice to meet there! I think what I enjoy most of travelling is being able to meet people from the country, that can explain me in first hand what's true and what not of my stupid previous ideas about it...

So... my offer (your demand) for a beer is still there! ;)

14. Polednikova

I got carried away a bit there! Of the four of us, CzechChris is in London and therefore not likely to be in Prague at the beginning of December; DjAtavar will probably not be either and Troll doesn't say where he's based!

However, I will and as I'm having a belated 'gap year' to try to learn Czech, I am usually free and would certainly be pleased to meet up. While I'm no expert on the detailed history/architecture etc of Prague and you should probably do a proper tour as well, I'm good at giving 'pre-briefings' on how to get around and where to get the cheapest beer and best views (not compatible but both worth seeking out!).

PM me with where you're staying and we'll sort something out. And if any of the rest of you are around as well, it would be nice to meet you. And if I think of anything else to put on your 'must do' list, I'll let you know.

Gina

15. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Hluboká nad Vltavou -- prettiest castle in the country! A must see!

16. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

That's true, you come to Brno wednesday 28th, and I am going from 29th to 2nd to short visit of Paris and London, and 6th December I am leaving for short trip to Tenerife :) and I am very looking forward to it.

I said it twice and I need to say it for the third time - this is kind of problem here. Even the best castles are usualy closed for tourists during winter. And that, regrettably, is also a case of Hluboká.

However, this castle is really worth to see, even if you cannot go inside. The same is valid for Český Krumlov - closed for public between 1st November and 31th March.

EDIT:

Karlštejn - the same as written before

however: Křivoklát is open even in November and December, but only saturdays and sundays, 9am to 15pm.

17. Colesa

Colesa Member

Wow!! Thanks everybody for all this priceless information... it's nice to know the oppinion of people who really know the country!!

I've seen that Hluboká nad Vltavou is just beside Ceske Budejovice, and as I'm planning to go to Cesky Krumlov too, I think I will stop there even if it's only to see the castle from the outside, although it's closed. It really seems worth the visit!

Thanks again for all this advice about places, castles, schedules and so on. If you ever need some information on Catalunya, please ask me for it!

PD: DjAvatar, have a good time in your visits to Paris, London and Tenerife!

18. Colesa

Colesa Member

Well, thanks everybody... finally I've managed to decide where to spend these 3 nights, and I've reserved the hotels in:

28th November: Cesky Krumlov
    29th November: Plzen
    30th November: Karlovy Vary

Of course, these are the places to sleep, but all your advices have been great to make my route and decide what to see on the journey (Telc, Hluboká nad Vltavou, Ceske Budejovice, and more). It's going to be quite a busy trip.

Thanks again for your advices :)

19. Polednikova

Well done! You're going to have a great time, I'm sure. Co-incidentally, we're in Karlovy Vary this Friday/Saturday for the Slavia v KV ice hockey match so I'll let you know if we find a good restaurant.

20. Lilac

Lilac Member

Hi

I noticed you're planning to visit Hluboká castle, are you planning to go there by car, train or bus?
    If you're using a car, it's fine, but if you're planning to use public transportation I can tell you about my experience this summer. I searched for transportation from Ceské Budejovice to Hluboka nad Vltavou and I saw that there were two options: bus and train. The train schedule was better for me that day, so I decided to use the train and I got off at Hluboka nad Vltavou train station. But we had to walk for almost an hour (and sadly it was raining that day) to get to the center and the castle, we didn't see any sign of the castle and the city for a while and we didn't get lost only because we were following a group of people who seemed like they knew the way (and they did:D) I assumed that the train station was in the center but it wasn't.
    So if by any chance you have to choose between train or bus, bus is a better option, the bus stops are in the town.

Have a nice stay there!