Cesky Krumlov Area - Egon Schiele Art Centrum

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by srapegoraro, Oct 18, 2007.

1. srapegoraro

srapegoraro Member

Hello,

Hoping someone can assist. I will be visiting Prague this Christmas and plan to travel to Český Krumlov for the day. I understand it is very close via train and we are interested in viewing Egon Schiele Art Centrum there too!

Being that my visit is during Christmas week, does anyone know if Art Centrum will be open or closed for the holidays? I emailed the Art Centrum, but have not recieved a response.

Also, we love food and surely could follow what a guide books suggests but looking for place to grab a meal in Cesky Krumlov? Please if you know of somewhere moderatley priced and not a tourist trap we would love to hear about it! Even if it is off the beaten path....

2. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

It is written "Open daily" on their website, but it will be probably closed 24th-26th December, but next day it will be open.

I can call them for you, but there is still a lot of time and I think people working there do not know yet.

3. srapegoraro

srapegoraro Member

Oh my goodness, thank you very much. :D If you would not mind calling them for us that would be great.

I understand what you are saying about it being still some time away, so perhaps may I contact you through this forum closer to the date?

Thinking of going there either 12.22 or 12.23 as we are in Prague only until 12.26.

In your opinion should we shoot for Saturday 12.22 over the other dates? First time in Prague - so I am sure there is much to see and do....

4. zedeebee

zedeebee New Member

With regard to eating in Krumlov - the restaurants in Krumlov are generally not that expensive (better that the Prague tourist restaurants though not as cheap as in non-tourist towns) and there are loads of them. That time of year is out of Krumlov's tourist season and so there won't be any trouble getting tables. Check out the Cibanska Jizba in Dlouha Street, it's run by gypsies, is cheap and does excellent goulash.

For more ideas check http://www.ceskykrumlovholiday.co.uk/Where_to eat_ inCesky_Krumlov.html

By the way if you are expecting to see lots of works by Egon Schiele in the Art Centrum, you are going to be disappointed, as numbers are very limited. The Centrum does however have some great exhibitions, including one on Schiele's time in Krumlov, and of course the roofscape of Krumlov (best seen from the castle) were an inspiration for Schiele.

Have a great time.

5. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

So, I called them :)

Official policy: To be open everyday

||
    V

Official version:
    22nd Dec - open as usually (10:00-18:00)
    23rd Dec - open as usually
    24th Dec - open as usually

Unoffcial version:
    Employees to convince the management to close at 14. :)
    EDIT: 14 o'clock, but 24th Dec only.

6. Lilac

Lilac Member

Hi

I was in Cesky Krumlov this last August for a couple of days and I tried three different restaurants. My favorite one was Krcma v Satlavské, a medieval-style restaurant situated in a street at the right of Horní street, when you're heading towards the center. I had grilled meat with an excellent sauce and potatoes, I really liked it. The decoration was great too, it looks like a medieval cellar, it gives you the idea of being traveling in time. I strongly recommend this one :)
    I also tried Pizzeria Latrán, I had a pizza there, it was fine but to me it was just a regular pizza like many others (the best pizza I had in Czech Republic was in Brno, at Pizza Coloseum). I had lunch in a third restaurant, but unfortunately I didn't write down the name of that one, so it's not much of a help.
    We didn't pay much at any of the restaurants (especially compared to Prague).

Enjoy your stay in this beautiful town :wink:

7. srapegoraro

srapegoraro Member

DjAvatar - Thank you very much for calling! I may twist my travel partner's arm into staying in this village for the night, it just looks so lovely!

And thank you to everyone else for the places to eat, I am really getting excited about this trip.