Train and bus pricing

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by ondrejana, Oct 25, 2007.

1. ondrejana

ondrejana Well-Known Member

My husband and I will be in Praha in a week's time and we were wondering about travel on day trips to places like Terezin, Krivoklat, etc...

Say I purchased a ticket for Litomerice but wanted to stop off at Terezin first (since it's south)...could I just get off and back on the bus without paying extra? another example: If we stopped off at Melnik on the way up north to another destination..even if our tickets were for another area on the same route, would we have to pay extra?

I was thinking the same with going to Beroun and then over to krivoklat.

In addition, we'll be in Smichov one week, and then Vinohrady the other...would it be wiser to see places like Konopiste, Berounka from the former, and then places leaving from HNadrazi from the latter?

Is Plzen worth going east to, or would one recommend smaller cities instead, like Ricany?

Dejuki moc,
    Jana and Ondrej Svitek :lol:

2. ondrejana

First time for everything: i'm posting a reply to my own post, because careless me spelled incorrectly (due to haste)

Dekuji moc is what I meant in the closing.

To succinctly state my otazky:

Is it possible to puchase vlak or cedaz bus jizdenky and get off at various stops that the train/bus makes en route to one's ultimate destination for which a ticket was purchased...

Plzen is WEST of Praha, not east. I'm so sorry for the mistakes.

Anybody ever been to Ricany before? Pardubice worth going east to in November-time?

Warm enough packing if i bring a very warm jacket and some jumper/sweaters with jeans for 1st 2 weeks of November?

thanks,
    Jana

3. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

Sorry I can't be of much help (I'm sure some others will be, though) but I can tell you I enjoyed my trip to Plzen. The brewery (Pilsner-Urquell) and the synagogue (2nd largest in Europe, I think) are worth seeing. Nice central square, small parks, colorful buildings - a very pleasant day.

4. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

I'm not an expert on the buses but somehow I doubt it. I'm fairly sure the idea is that the tickets take you from A to B direct. In any case, they will probably be less than you're expecting. For example, we're going to Karlovy Vary from Prague tomorrow and it only costs 110kč. And we went to Kladno last week - Terezin is on the way - and it cost something like 50kč. (I've just been reminded that it was actually only 38kč)

As for clothes, I think your legs might be a bit cold in only a jacket, however warm it is. We've all got our coats, hats and scarves out this week, especially at night. And the shops are full of what I call 'duvet coats'.

5. Sigma

Sigma Well-Known Member

I believe you are correct.

6. ondrejana

Thanks so much for the information. This is incredibly helpful (to have those who understand the system better)

One last question: I just found out that one can use the SONE+ tickets over the weekend (and is good for all border towns, including Dresden)...anyone know how to access timetables for the specific train that goes from Praha's HN to Dresden Aldstadt stanice?

Again, I 'm very appreciate of everybody's attention and help for our trip. I'm extremely excited.. it's been 3 years since we have returned.

Jana :lol:

7. Polednikova

I might have been right about the pricing of tickets but I wasn't about Terezin. It's Lidnice that's on the way to Kladno. Terezin was the concentration camp and Lidnice was the village that was raised to the ground retaliation for the assassination of Heydrich.

8. Polednikova

Try this www.jizdnirady.idnes.cz/JRCis.asp It's the bus and train timetables and it's what I use for our journeys. I've just used it to pull up trains from Prague to Dresden but I don't know what the SONE+ tickets are and whether you can use them on those trains.

Have a wonderful trip!

9. Yvan

Yvan Well-Known Member

For the buying train tickets abroad Ivery reccomend you WASTEELS.
    http://www.wasteels.cz
    They are situated at the Prague main railway station (Praha hlavni nadrazi).
    They are very helpful and very good at knowing all special prices.
    The price of the train tickets is the same as from Ceske drahy.

Here there is a price calculator for the train tickets both local and international :
    http://www.jizdenka.cz/(S(fhvtc3mjwzon2riao3qdkkni))/IT.aspx

10. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

It acctually was Lidice. For more information see wikipedia.

There were more czech Villages partly or totally raised to the ground during that times - Ležáky, Životice or Český Malín.

Czechia is the official one-word name of the Czech Republic. Full name "Czech Republic" should only be used in official documents and titles of official institutions. In all other cases, the one-word name Czechia should be preferred.

11. laddie49

laddie49 New Member

There is a complete schedule of all trains in Europe found at www.bahn.hafas.de/bin/query. It is an amazing web site. However, it only goes out to Dec 18th right now but it will be updated on Nov. 1 for an additional year.