Visa for New York Trip

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by nam, Nov 16, 2007.

1. nam

nam Member

Hello All,

I want to take my czech girlfriend for 2 weeks to New York, as i am british i don't need a Visa. How Do Czech's apply for a Visa to travel to USA Please

Thanks in advance

:)

2. smile

smile New Member

Hi nam
    you will find all needed info here 8)
    http://www.usembassy.cz/general_information.html
    She needs nonimigrant turist visa B-1, to fill the application form, schedule an appointment at the us embassy in Prague (nowadays possible on-line :wink: ), pay the fees and have required/recommended documents at the interview ;)

3. nam

nam Member

Thanks, does anyone have any experience of what the US Embassy actually ask as my Girlfriend is nervous about going on her own ?

4. smile

smile New Member

First of all, she must prove she will come back! (employment letter, proof she studies, she owns a property in CR)...they might ask abt her founds (3 latest bank statements), with whom she is travelling, how long she studies English, how long will she stay there and where...She just shudnt be nervous...after all, she is not going to cheat the system, so support her to gain come confidence ;)

Some of questions are here - http://www.path2usa.com/immigration/vis ... tion.htm#1
    this might be also helpful - http://www.immihelp.com/visas/visitor/interview.html

I've always travelled to US either to visit somebody or was sent there by employer. Which makes the visa process much easier. May be somebody else who experienced your case will suggest you more ;)
    Good luck!

5. nam

nam Member

bad news, i provided my girlfriend with hotel, flight and my work details inc letter that i would be responsible for her in NY, they still did not give here a visa how can she apply again please ?

6. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

While I don't have personal experience of the US visa system and I don't know the rules on time lapses between applications - I'm British as well - I do know about the UK system and I assume the principle is the same.

As Smile said, what they are looking for is evidence that she will return to the CR and that she has no incentive to overstay in the US. That means primarily in her case, if she doesn't have family/children here, again as Smile said, evidence of her employment or studies here, her accommodation contract. You said she had your work details. Does she not have a job herself or is she not studying? It's her they're interested in, not just the fact that you are paying for the trip.

In the UK, the position is that you, ie the 'sponsor', is not important. They will accept no guarantees from a third person that the applicant will return to their home country because after all, that third person cannot make someone return if they don't want to.

And at the risk of appearing nosey, how long have you been together? If it isn't very long, US immigration may have suspected that she was using you to facilitate her entry into the US. I am not suggesting for a minute that this is the case and unfair and intrusive though this sort of thing is, it happens.

7. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Like Polednikova and smile have said, US immigration officers assume that a visa applicant is a potential immigrant, unless he/she can prove enough incentive to return, to his/her country of origin. As Polednikova pointed out, the sponsor's details mean virtually nothing to the process. For example, I am a US citizen and tried to sponsor my Ukrainian brother-in-law for a tourist visa, but he was denied (at the time he had no job, was not in school, etc.). You must she has material incentive to return! This proof usually takes the form of

1) spouse/children not traveling with her
    2) steady employment
    3) substantial property assets (e.g. owned apartment/house)

I had originally thought that US immigration law required that once a visa is denied, you are not eligible to apply again for one year; however, a page on the website of the US Embassy in the Republic of Georgia (see first question and answer on top of page 2) indicates that there is no such limitation. At the same time, however, you should probably only reapply if you have more evidence to present of your girlfriend's attachment to the Czech Republic--otherwise, it's probably money thrown away.

8. nam

nam Member

Thx for you advice. I have been with my gf over 6 months now and she reguarly travels to London without any problems. Offically she has finished school and is doing further studies to improve her qualifications. In terms of employment she does not work, but did show her bank account which had sufficent funds for her. At present she lives with her mother. I just am really confused as it seems the standard B214 letter the embassy seem to give means nothing, as we saw almost 10 people leave with the same letter that day. , I read somewhere on the Czech Gov site that the US visa is no longer being applied after July is this true ?

I really don't know what my next step is, when should she apply again. Can i add any further documentation to help her ?

Thanks

9. Polednikova

As a Brit, I haven't been following the US visa rule changes so I'm afraid I can't help on that but I can see why she's had problems getting a visa for the US now. (The UK can't refuse her because the Czech Republic is in the EU.)

But to US immigration, I'm afraid she's a prime candidate for overstaying - very little in the way of permanent ties. The amount of money she has in her bank account means little to them - it could have been lent to her for the purpose. The only thing I can think of emphasising are her further educational studies. Has she paid for these in advance ie has she some 'investment' in returning to the CR?

I'm sorry to be so negative but I know how the immigration services think.

10. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Also, money in the bank is a liquid asset that can be easily transferred to a bank in the U.S. They won't consider that as a tie to the Czech Republic.

11. Polednikova

Precisely.

12. brcek

brcek Member

Anyway u can try next year :) , waiting for the waivers, then czech won't need visa if still -10% rejected is remained.. :)

13. EinBlauerHai

EinBlauerHai Active Member

Gee, I'm so glad my government protects me so rigorously from all the evil Czechs who want to move here and work illegally :roll: I wish I were in Prague right now, so I could visit the US embassy and give them a piece of my mind :twisted:

At any rate, I've heard from some of the people on expats.cz, that it sometimes helps to have a letter of introduction from someone living in the US. Strange logic there, since if you have strong US ties, wouldn't you be more likely to overstay :?

14. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Good point. But it is even worse if you want to get visa to Russia. You have to a) have invitation, b) have voucher for some "prooven" hotel (usually very expensive), and if you do not have one, there are organisation who can "help" you to get the "voucher" even if you will never see the hotel. But for not small amout of money. At least it is what I read.

15. Dannae

Dannae Well-Known Member

Wow, tell me: who from Czech republic (provided he is not insane) would like to overstay his thip to US?
    We are not in mid 90's anymore! Look at the rate USD/CZK. Look at the way how my home country recently developped! Why would Czech people work illegally for $5-7/hour now if they can have the very similar income home? Or they can work in many other EU contries? It is very difficult to reestablish yourself here in US even if you are legal (my personal experience).
    Yes, many Czechs illegally immigrated to the US in 1989-95 (mainly) but in those days USD/CZK was around 45:1; now 18:1. US economy used to be stronger but it is plumetting now; Czech (despite all troubles) is slowly getting stronger and regaining the standard it traditionally had.
    Young Czech people nowadays - if they want to work in the US - will most likely get a babysitting job for 1-2 years, sightsee the country and go home.
    P.S. But if it was for me, I would rather have 2 million illegal Czechs than 2 million illegal Mexicans :lol: :lol: :lol:

16. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Exchange rates was never so high, I remember maximum about 41:1, but only for couple of months or weeks in 2000 or 2001. Just for orientation, I made graph of exchange rates 1991-now (for every year 1st workday of the year, I did not find averages for all those years, so it is usually 2nd January)

[​IMG]
    Source: Czech National Bank.

Btw, sometimes you can choose when buing stuff via the internet, and prices in USD can be much lower than EUR. I bought EuroStar train ticket Paris-London, one way $56 or €60 or Ł40. So $ was superb price (cheapest possible ticket, youth discount +early booking).

17. Dannae

Dannae Well-Known Member

OK, so I could have made a mistake but that was not my main point. But thank you for your post.
    Well, prices in US are very ofter cheaper than EUR, this is true. But the life in the US is not cheaper anymore.

18. My Czech Republic

My Czech Republic Administrator

Just a technical note. I noticed that [quoting] is becoming rather popular around here. :) But... Why quote the entire post that immediately precedes yours? If you would like to respond to the last post in the thread, it is sufficient to simply type your response without using the

19. Dannae

Dannae Well-Known Member

OK, sorry. I got you.

20. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Yeap, this quoted graph is quite extensive :)