Romantic Get Away

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by denielle, Nov 20, 2007.

1. denielle

denielle New Member

My name is Denielle; I've been following these posts, which I've found very helpful as I plan a short trip to the Czech Republic. But I was hoping to gain a little more specific information.

By way of explanation, my boyfriend and I arrive December 28th and are there until January 3rd. We're both from the US - Arizona and New England. He's never been out of the States; I've never been East of England, and, sadly, that was about 7 years ago.

I've been desperately craving adventure, travel and challenge and we finally settled on the Czech for a short winter respite. I guess we chose it for three reasons. First, I love eastern european lit, particularly Milan Kundera and of course, Kafka and Dosteyevsky. I feel like I've been carrying the spirit of the city with me for years. Second, although I realize the winter is brutally cold, I've also heard its at its most beautiful (and romantic?) during the dark days of the White Winter. Finally, I'll be honest, it was the most affordable of the european locations we considered.

So, as I said, I am writing to you with the hope you might direct us towards the things that We Just Can't Miss. We have seven nights in a hotel in Prague, but we'd be more than willing to venture out of the city upon your recommendation. We even talked about flying to one of the neighboring countries, time permitting - although i don't see that time will be quite that permitting. If it helps, we're in our late 20's, in great shape. Money is a consideration - we are on a reasonable budget - but we're excited to shell it out for the reasons you recommend. We LOVE food; we love drink; we love culture and that intangible thing that makes a place feel a certain way. I want to absorb that anyway I can. As we will be there during the holiday season, I hope to get a sense of its spirituality. Finally, we do love a good party and look forward to checking out what I've heard is a spectacular nightlife.

So, could you please help us with any advice you might lend? Specifically, with regard to these issues:

1. What are the things We Should Not Miss?
    2. Any suggestions for a romantic evening?
    3. What are the most delicious restaurants?
    4. What are the fun clubs?
    5. What should we do New years eve?
    6 SHould we venture outside the city limits?

Your advice is so warmly appreciated,

Denielle[/b]

2. Suniskys

Suniskys Active Member

I hope you have a wonderful trip! There is tons to do in Prague, even in the middle of winter. I've only spent one Christmas there but I loved every minute of it. The outdoor markets downtown are amazing, you can eat roasted chestnuts and warm mulled wine.

Some of the things you should do are visit the old clock tower (in Old Town Square), Castle Prague, and Charles Bridge.

New Years in Prague was unlike anything I've ever experienced. There are fireworks galore. My father lives in Prague, so we celebrated at his local pub with lots of good food and drink then went to a nearby park at midnight for fireworks. I was amazed at how many people were there!