New Public Transport Prices

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by GlennInFlorida, Jan 4, 2008.

1. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

Jeez!
    Prices have really gone up. It used to cost 320Kc for a fifteen day pass. The longest "tourist" pass now is 5 days and it costs 500Kc (1500Kc for 15 days - that's nearly a 470% increase)!

Oddly, too, a 1 day pass is 100Kc but a 3 day pass is 330Kc :shock: -
    why would anyone buy a 3 day pass for more money than 3 - 1 day passes?

Oof!

The only consolation is that prices were way low before and, even now, are not terribly bad compared to the rest of the world.

2. Sigma

Sigma Well-Known Member

Public transportation has gone up all over the Czech Republic, but I think Prague was hit the hardest. Where I live the price for public transportation only went up 1kc from 6kc to 7kc.

3. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

With a 3 day (330) or 5 day (500) pass you may take one child 6-15 with you, this making the difference from 1 day pass

4. GlennInFlorida

not all of us have children :?

can you get a 30 day (photo ID) pass if you are not a resident?

5. Karel_lerak

Yes, you can.
    The price of a coupon for 30 days is then 550 CZK, either for a calender month or for 30 days with floating start.
    3 months or 90 days 1480
    1 year or 365(6) days (floating start between 1.-31.1.2008) 4750

There exist also transferrable tickets (without photo) for
    30 days 670
    90 days 1880
    365 days (start between 1.-31.1.2008) 6750 CZK

6. GlennInFlorida

ok - that is much more reasonable - I'm usually in Prague about 12 days so that will work fine for me. I like the non-photo idea too because I normally give my pass with unused time to a local who can use it. :D

7. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

Sorry to be stupid but I still don't understand the annual passes and when you can buy them. When we first arrived at the end of 2006, we were told you had to buy them on 2 January and sure enough, there was a huge queue at Florenc, where Tony bought his. This year, because of the price rise, there was more discussion about them and we found out that you could buy them during December although there were still long queues every day!

My question is, based on what you've just said, can you only buy the 4750kc annual season ticket before the end of January, and it only lasts until the end of December, even if you buy it on 30 January? And you can't buy an annual ticket the rest of the year?

8. Karel_lerak

If i understand it correctly, you can buy the 366 days ticket before end of January only and it will last 366 days (max. to end of January next year) . The reason will be (possible) price change in the next year. During the rest of the year you can buy only the tickets with shorter validity.