Train from Prague to Krakow and back.

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by embser, Mar 3, 2008.

1. embser

embser New Member

Hi,

I'm a US student currently studying in Cork, Ireland. My friend and I are traveling to Eastern Europe for a couple weeks this spring, and in between a few days in Prague we're visiting Krakow and Auschwitz. I saw on this website that fare from Prague to Krakow is 50 euro (plus sleeper accommodation I'm sure). My question is, is there anywhere I can find to book that fare online, or should I just plan on showing up a bit early to the train station to get the train? If the latter, how early should I plan on getting there to be sure that we get tickets/reservations?

Thanks,
    Vincent Embser

2. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

ČD (czech railways) has their eshop on webpage http://eshop.cd.cz/. However, I do not understand how it works, as well as the whole ČD ticket fares policy - they have such a strange system of fares and discounts you have to have several university degrees to understand it :)

However, there shouldn't be a problem to buy ticket in the station just before you enter the train.

EDIT: Or even directly in the train, just try to find a conductor as soon as possible and tell him you had no time to buy tickets - you only pay some 1-2€ extra). You have to find him, because if he finds you, you will pay a penalty much higher.

Try not to refer CZ and PL as Eastern Europe, people here do not like it :) (Central Europe is much better).

3. PGN

PGN Well-Known Member

Ah, my first lesson in the Czech and Slovak Federal Republic on 2 July 1992. I already knew this but the Marines that picked me up at the airport were clear that I shouldn't make that mistake.

4. Zik

Zik Well-Known Member

Yeah, the Czech Republic, Poland and other states nearby are usually not called as ,,Eastern Europe". Eastern Europe is Ukraine, Belarus, Russia etc.

If you're looking for timetables of trains, buses or plans: http://jizdnirady.idnes.cz/JRCis.asp?tt=c&p=MF&cl=E5
    The site is made by traffic department of the Czech Republic. I self offten use it. The link I gave you is the English version.

Enjoy your stay in the Czech Republic.