pay attention in prague

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by pedro1974, Jul 18, 2008.

1. pedro1974

pedro1974 Well-Known Member

hi everybody,
    I have just spent 3 days in the wonderful city of prague.
    I only would like to suggest you to be careful in the city centre.
    if you are going to change money, you could have been contacted by some person offering you a "good change" instead of the poor 1€ for 22/23 czk...they can offer even 31 czk for 1€!!!!!

then 3100 czk for 100€ is not bad, you could think, but...there is a but (a big one) the money they want give you are not czeck koruna...!!!!

maybe bulgarian, maybe from some yugo country...anyway, pay attention!!!

this happened me twice in 3 days and I have seen many other during the other days.

2. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

That is true - never use the money exchangers (especially ones who contact you) - just get your money from an ATM - you will get the best daily (legal) rate for minimum charges.

3. Yerusalyim

Yerusalyim Well-Known Member

I concur 100% ALWAYS get your money from an ATM. The only excpetion I make to that is I'll buy CK from friends who went to Czech and have 1000 or so left over...they take it to the bank to exchange it and get ripped off...I offer them a deal better than the bank...but less than I'd get charged to buy it at an ATM.

By the way...when I first started going to Czech the exchange rate was 18CK to the dollar...yesterday it was 14.1...the US dollar sucks...and the Czech economy seems to be growing.

4. pedro1974

pedro1974 Well-Known Member

4 years ago, my first time in CR, 1€ for 32 czk...great stuff!
    now during the w.e. is getting even less than 22 czk for 1€
    is quite 30% in 4 years!!!!

5. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

first trip 26:1
    now about 14:1

I just have to save more before I go :wink:

6. Ani

Ani Well-Known Member

It's the hardest thing I find about planning my trips here.. my hard earned euros are worth less and less each year :(

7. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

My first trip it was 36 ck : 1 us $.