Transport to/from airport to Prague Main Station

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by claudiat, Aug 1, 2008.

1. claudiat

claudiat Member

Good morning

I'm sure there are several posts on transportation to/from the airport, however I could not find one relating to my query. I have never been to Prague (and can't wait as I've heard so many positive things about the lovely city!!)

I will be arriving at Ruzyne Airport and will be staying at Cloister Inn Hotel. Is it easy to catch public transport to arrive at my hotel?

Prague Main Station is only 1.5km from the hotel and transfers are offered by the hotel itself. I have also read the link on transportation.

I am hoping to find a cheaper option than the transfers - only if it is not to hard to travel through.

Hoping someone can help me.

Best regards
    Claudia

2. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

Take bus 119 from Airport to Metro Dejvická, then Metro Dejvická to Staroměstská and 500 m walk or one station tram to Karlovy lázně and 200m walk, all for 26 CZK and under 1 hour.

3. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

And you've probably found that you need to buy a ticket before you get on the bus, and then validate it by punching it in one of the orange machines inside the bus. Oh, and you need a separate, cheaper ticket for large suitcases. You can get the tickets at the airport.

4. magan

magan Well-Known Member

Buy tickets in Arrivals hall. There is booth.

While taking bus to Metro, Dejvicka is end of the line, so you cannot miss the stop. Just follow the crowd. Dejvicka Metro is also end of the line, so you cannot make mistake going wrong way. Staromestska is I think third stop.

At Staromestska, take escalator up, take exit/stairs ahead of you, outside on the street turn left to walk a bit to trams. Cross to tram stop with trams going to left and take any street car (18,17) for one stop (still same ticket from airport).
    Good luck.

5. mariomassi

mariomassi Member

If you take taxi the fare is 500-600 Kr to the city center.

AAA taxi company is correct.

6. claudiat

claudiat Member

Thank you everyone for their responses, it has been a great help.

Best regards
    Claudia

7. claudiat

claudiat Member

Hello again

Wondering if anyone can advise how to get from Cloister Inn Hotel (Konviktska 14) to the main station - hl.n please.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards
    Claudia

8. Polednikova

You're near Národní Třída (Tesco) where you can get a number 9 tram. The staff at the Cloister are very helpful, they'll tell you how to get to Tesco and you catch the 9 from the stop on the opposite side of the road.

9. claudiat

claudiat Member

Thank you very much Polednikova. You are very knowledgable.

Please can you or anyone else advise me how to catch a train from Prague to Berlin from the main station?

Best regards
    Claudia

10. Polednikova

The furthest we've been by train is Olomouc - we usually go by bus from Florenc - but I think there are separate counters for domestic and international (mezinárodní) tickets. So presumably you just go up to one of them and ask for the tickets. The counter staff speak enough English.

It's not a huge station so you shouldn't have any problems although they are renovating it at the moment so there are sections closed off while they're working on them.

I take it you know which train you want to catch. If not, have a look at some similar threads - I know that the train timetable link has been posted before.

11. claudiat

claudiat Member

Yes thank you. This forum is great! Thanks for your help again.

Best regards
    Claudia

12. Polednikova

What on earth are you still doing up? What time is it in Perth, for heaven's sake?! Or have I missed something and are you in Prague now?

13. claudiat

claudiat Member

No its 9PM in Perth! I leave Sunday to London via Japan. Will be in Prague 5th! Can't wait!

14. Polednikova

Not as bad as I thought. I was forgetting. My brother and sister are in Melbourne. It's half three in the afternoon here and I was thinking it was the early hours of the morning with you.

You're obviously planning a big trip. Have a wonderful time. Cloister Inn is a nice quiet hotel - a friend of mine stayed there last year.