Most visited places in CZ

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by MK, Aug 29, 2008.

1. MK

MK Well-Known Member

Most visited places

1. Prague Castle 1.42 mil
    2. Prague ZOO 1.27 mil
    3. National Museum 687,000
    4. Jewish Museum 674,000
    5. National Gallery 571,000
    6. Dvůr Králové ZOO 542,000
    7. Lešná ZOO 503,000
    8. Theresienstatd Memorial 470,000
    9. Prague Old Town City Hall 433,000
    10. Pilsen ZOO and Botanical Garden 402,000

(Looks like Zoos rules. )

and here is the link
    http://aktualne.centrum.cz/czechnews/cl ... ?id=614986

Most visited castles:

1. State Castle Český Krumlov 350 000
    2. State Castle Lednice 320 000
    3. State Castle Hluboká nad Vltavou 285 000
    4. State Castle Karlštejn 276 000
    5. Archbishop palace and gardens in Kroměříž 187 000

Most visited museums and galleries

1. National Muzeum, Prague 687 000
    2. Jewish Museum , Prague 674 000
    3. The National Gallery, Prague 571 000
    4. Terezín Memorial 470 000
    5. Wallachia muzeum v přírodě 291 000
    (link for pppl who do not heard about Valasske museum: http://www.vmp.cz/english/default.htm)
    ( surprisingly Letecké muzeum /The Aviation Museum is not on the list :shock: )

Most visited historical objects

1. Prague Castle 1,42 milionu
    2. Old Town City Hall 432 000
    3. Church of St Nicholas, Prague 350 000 (údaj z r. 2006)
    4. Outlook-tower Petřín, Praha 349 000
    5. Ossuary in Kutná Hora – Sedlci 347 000
    (So Rozhledna Petrin/Outlook tower Petrin is historical object, hmmmm)

Most visited "technical objects"

1. Plzeňský Prazdroj 185 000
    2. TV tower Žižkov 146 000
    3. Škoda Auto muzeum, Mladá Boleslav 117 000
    4. Mining Museum Příbram 112 000
    5. Mining Museum OKD, Ostrava 80 000
    (funny - 3 museums here, Dlouhe strane arent did not get to the list too :(
    Dlouhe strane: http://www.cez.cz/en/contacts/informati ... nters.html

2. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

That's an excellent check-list, MK. I've already been to a lot of them but I'll print it out and work through it. (Anyone know why the Czechs write ZOO, not zoo?)

One in particular that I thought was very well-done was the Plsen brewery. It was a very sophisticated 'visitor experience', with an interesting tour of the plant to see how the beer was made, ending with sampling the beer down in the cellars and then heading over to a nice, well-run restaurant and gift shop. I used to work for the UK's Minister for Tourism, when the idea of industrial tourism was just taking off and he would have been very impressed with Plsen's example.

My vote for the best museum in Prague has to go to one that will never get on 'the most visited list'. It's the crypt in the St Cyril and Methodius Church, just off Karlovo náměstí in Prague. It's where Jozef Gabčík and Jan Kubiš and the other brave members of Operation Anthropoid died after assassinating Heydrich in 1942. It's obviously very moving but also very well presented, with the whole story displayed in English as well as Czech.

I have always been interested in the operation because of my Czech father and going with him to the unveiling of a memorial to the group in the UK as a child. So it's quite a coincidence that I've ended up living not far from where the assassination took place in Kobylisy in Prague 8, in a square, Lyčkovo náměstí, in Karlín, named after someone who helped the members of the team as they escaped after the attack.

Here's the Wikipedia article if you want to know more about the operation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Anthropoid

3. Irena M

Irena M Well-Known Member

Nice list!
    I've been to some of them, but that was a long time ago.

4. bouncingczech

bouncingczech Active Member

This is interesting! Good list. I remember the crypt in the Cyril and Metodej church very well. As a kid, back in the late fifties, I was in that church and in the crypt. At that time it was pretty much left open, there was no control and the crypt itself was just like it was in 1942. It was pretty creepy. We were able to roam through the church - all the doors were unlocked. We knew the story and what happened there, but I cannot understand why the communists just left the church to rot. Whether the assassination of Heydrich was a good thing or not is debated even today. Regardless it was a major event and I am glad that the places where it happened are preserved.

5. pismomalir

pismomalir Member

That is an interesting list. Obviously though it's just the places that demand an entry fee from visitors. Charles bridge and the Prague astronomical clock I'm sure would have more visitors than anywhere else, but there's no easy way to count them...

6. MK

MK Well-Known Member

Also cathedral in Prague Castle is not counted toward visitors of Prague Castle.

I found the detailed lists are not translated, so I translated it.

7. girdeaux10

girdeaux10 Active Member

I wanted to visit this church on my initial jolly to Prague, but couldn't find out where it was. I susbsequently found out where it was prior to coming in July and was absolutley gutted that the museum wasn't open on the days that I was in the city.

I think my interest stems from the fact my great uncle was in the Polish resistance during the war, and probably did similar acts of resistance to German occupation, although not as grand as the plot to kill Heydrich.

8. Polednikova

You're not going to believe this but I'm actually going again tomorrow, to take an American friend who's never been. Another thing for you to do in January...

9. girdeaux10

girdeaux10 Active Member

Cool, let us know what they thought of it. Not having been yet, although not through want of trying, is it a worth while visit?

10. Polednikova

Definitely. It's only small and will only take you half an hour but it's worth every penny of the 60kč entrance fee. You really do get a sense of how brave they were.

And I found confirmation that a man called Lyčka provided one of the safe houses that the assassins hid in and after whom our square is named.

11. girdeaux10

girdeaux10 Active Member

Excellent.

8)

12. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

Just an aside from earlier in the discussion...

I imagine most of the visitors to Prague Zoo are Czechs - went there with a friend of mine (had a great time, the zoo is really nice) and didn't notice any other obvious tourists. Might be different in the summer, though. We went in the fall (in fact on the last day you could take the river cruise to the zoo) and it was brisk.

13. wissy

wissy Well-Known Member

We went to the Zoo in August and also had a great time. I agree with Glenn, there were very few tourists, if any, that we noticed. We also took the boat to Troja and returned to the city centre via bus and metro which was great fun. Maybe there are few tourists at the Zoo because of the travel involved, i don't know, but to us that added to the fun and enjoyment of the day. :D

14. Ctyri koruny

Ctyri koruny Well-Known Member

Next time I go to Prague I really must bring a guide book >_< hee hee I want to see the national gallery!

Where's the best place for Contemporary Art in Prague?