Hepatitis A

Where to go? What to see? How to get there?

Moderators: Sova, gementricxs, Dana

Anna683

Hepatitis A

Postby Anna683 » 24-Sep-08 14:43

I've heard that there is currently a Hepatitis A outbreak in Prague. Should tourists be worried about this?
eso

Postby eso » 24-Sep-08 15:38

Anna683 wrote:I've heard that there is currently a Hepatitis A outbreak in Prague. Should tourists be worried about this?

In year 2007 there were 128 cases of hepatitis A in whole CR. Now is more then 300 cases only in Prague. So, numbers are certainly higher, although it's far from epidemy.

Hepatits A has nickname - illnes of dirty hands. So basic protection is observance of hygienic rules. If numbers will still growth, you could consider vaccinatation.
When in trouble or in doubt,
run in circles scream and shout.
Irena M

Postby Irena M » 25-Sep-08 1:59

I don't know where you are now, but I would bring a small bottle of the alcohol in gel form to wipe your hands with, if you can't wash up.
Irena
jen

Postby jen » 25-Sep-08 17:28

From what I've read, Hep A is caused by a virus and is fairly impervious to alcohol based hand gel. You'll find that most doctors recommend a good washing with soap and water over using gel. :)

Anna, you can always get a Hep A vaccination. It can't hurt, even if you never leave your home country. I got it back in the US from a bag of contaminated Fritos (granted, it was 30 years ago...)...so you can never be certain.