Hepatitis A

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by Anna683, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Anna683

Anna683 Well-Known Member

I've heard that there is currently a Hepatitis A outbreak in Prague. Should tourists be worried about this?

2. eso

eso Well-Known Member

In year 2007 there were 128 cases of hepatitis A in whole CR. Now is more then 300 cases only in Prague. So, numbers are certainly higher, although it's far from epidemy.

Hepatits A has nickname - illnes of dirty hands. So basic protection is observance of hygienic rules. If numbers will still growth, you could consider vaccinatation.

3. Irena M

Irena M Well-Known Member

I don't know where you are now, but I would bring a small bottle of the alcohol in gel form to wipe your hands with, if you can't wash up.

4. jen

jen Well-Known Member

From what I've read, Hep A is caused by a virus and is fairly impervious to alcohol based hand gel. You'll find that most doctors recommend a good washing with soap and water over using gel. :)

Anna, you can always get a Hep A vaccination. It can't hurt, even if you never leave your home country. I got it back in the US from a bag of contaminated Fritos (granted, it was 30 years ago...)...so you can never be certain.