Please enlighten me! Thanks.

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by lyt, Oct 23, 2008.

1. lyt

lyt New Member

Hello! Hope you can help me. I recently applied for a working visa from czech republic embassy in my home country Philippines and I'm just waiting for it since I'll be working in Czech Republic soon. Would it be the same as the schengen visa? And if so, can I use it if, for example, I wanted to tour other schengen states like Poland and Germany or would I need to apply for another visa to cross the said country considering that I'm a foreigner. I hope that you can enlighten me on this. Thanks a lot. :D

2. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

My opinion: Once having czech working visa, you can freely enter any schengen state. But you cannot work there, just in czech rep.

3. lyt

lyt New Member

Thanks a lot alexx. Actually i'm not going to work in other schengen states. I just want to tour if I have my free time. Thanks for the info I appreciate it so much. :D

4. Sigma

Sigma Well-Known Member

I'm from Canada, and while I was on my first Czech type D I was only allowed to travel to another schengen country for the first 3-months of my type D visa validity. This only applies to nationalities from visa waiver countries.

For example, I wanted to go to Slovakia this summer, but by law I had to get a visa.

As far as I know, your Czech visa only allows for you to stay/visit the Czech Republic. If you want to travel outside of the Czech Republic, you would need a schengen visa.

"Under the new provision, foreign nationals with type-D visas who are not subject to the visa requirement — such as Japanese, Canadian and American nationals — may move freely within other Schengen states for up to 90 days regardless of the number of days they spent in the Czech Republic, according to a pamphlet publicized on the Interior Ministry Web site.

When the validity of the visa (typically good for one year) exceeds six months, type-D visa holders may also apply for a uniform Schengen visa at the Prague mission of the main Schengen country they plan to visit. This uniform visa allows them to travel freely within the Schengen area for up to 90 days during the latter half-year validity of their visa. When their Czech type-D visas expire, those not subject to the visa requirement may spend an additional 90 days in any half-year on the territory of other Schengen states."

http://www.praguepost.com/articles/2008 ... travel.php

http://www.euroskop.cz/8377/1333/clanek ... tay-visas/

5. lyt

lyt New Member

Wow amazing info. Thanks mate! :D

6. Sigma

Sigma Well-Known Member

It can be quite confusing, so best of luck to you. :) Don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions.