Lidice

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by girdeaux10, Oct 26, 2008.

1. girdeaux10

girdeaux10 Active Member

Hi all

Can anyone tell me if the Lidice memorial grounds near Prague are worth a visit and also, are they easily reachable from the city itself?

Cheers

2. eso

eso Well-Known Member

You can easily get there by direct bus from Dejvicka to Kladno (Lidice is first stop after bus leaves highway). There is plenty of buses going that way and very often, because many people from Kladno work in Prague.

3. girdeaux10

girdeaux10 Active Member

Cheers me dears!

:D

4. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

I wonder what our Czech friends will make of that piece of dialect! :lol:

5. girdeaux10

girdeaux10 Active Member

6. eso

eso Well-Known Member

It was indeed difficult to find out meaning. Finally, my friend, movie translator, told me:

It means "Thank you", but it's VERY British and if someone still is using it nowadays, then that person probably makes fun of you ;)

7. Polednikova

On the contrary, Eso. It's actually a very friendly way of saying thank you. I can see it being said by old people in Devon in the South West of England!

Although having said that, as always, it's the tone of voice that counts. It could sound sarcastic as, indeed, could a simple 'thank you very much'! :roll:

8. girdeaux10

girdeaux10 Active Member

I have no need or desire to make fun of anyone on this site Eso, twas a simple pleasantry that's all.

10. eso

eso Well-Known Member

I see! So it means:

Thank you, move along, there is nothing to see here! ;) ;) ;)

11. girdeaux10

girdeaux10 Active Member

Yes absolutely, spoken in true police jargon.

12. eso

eso Well-Known Member

13. Polednikova

Thanks, Eso. I like to keep interesting articles like this and then I re-read them every six months or so and get more out of them as my Czech improves.