Karlovo most works

Discussion in 'Culture' started by Torgut, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Torgut

Torgut Active Member

Some other day I read an article about the reaction of the Ministry of Culture to the ongoing works on Karlovo most. It wasn't a good one. Apparently the comission sent there by the ministry was horrified by the results.

Today, in a routine walk, I crossed the bridge and saw with my own eyes one of the things which impressed so negatively that comission: I think as completely senseless the use of brand new chiseled stones; even worst if they are now mixed with the old ones. Some parts of the bridge now look like a chessboard: dark stone, white stone, dark stone, white stone....

Come on, it's a top monument of the country, I can't understand how it was possible such a careless assembling. Couldn't they just apply some chemical treatment to artifially age the new stones?

Any thoughts on this?

2. bibax

bibax Well-Known Member

"Everything fears time, yet time fears the pyramids."

The Charles bridge was built from sandstone which is not a durable material. Replacing old damaged blocks with new ones is then natural and never-ending process. Nowadays only 15 to 20 percent blocks are original. In my opinion the artificial aging of the new blocks is not necessary. Personally I have no problem with the motley look.