Generations of Czechs living together

Discussion in 'Culture' started by kilosierra, Feb 17, 2009.

1. kilosierra

kilosierra Well-Known Member

Is it custom for generations of a family to live together under one roof? Say a child /parents/grandparent?

2. hoppo29

hoppo29 Member

Hi,

My wife is from Darkovicky a village north of Ostrava, and her brother and his wife and 3 children have converted her mum's upstairs into a flat. I would say this is not custom but they have big houses over there compared to England anyway, and its alot cheaper than buying house or flat.

3. kilosierra

Thanks for the reply hoppo...I ask because I have a friend who is almost 40 living with his parents and grandmother...I'm pretty sure he could afford his own place but thought maybe it was custom for Czechs to have this kind of arrangement.

4. Ctyri koruny

Ctyri koruny Well-Known Member

I think it is normal here... just from what people have told me of their lives Maybe it's not common, but it's certainly not something people avoid like they do in Britain/USA etc.

5. bibax

bibax Well-Known Member

Your friend is living in the so-called "mámin hotel" (mama's hotel) which is very cheap and full board.

I read somewhere that the young Italian men are the same.

6. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

It's actually happening more and more in the UK as well, especially in London where accommodation is so expensive, because young people can't afford to move out of the family home.

7. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

Mámin hotel.... that's funny
    Ale proč ne.
    Není nic jako mámin domácí vaření.
    Dal bych všechno, co vlastním za talíř její želí, brambory, a hovězí konserva.

8. kilosierra

Mama's hotel....Very funny!! It's very usual here in the US but with the economy going the way it is I wouldn't doubt if we start to see it more.

I just thought it may have something to do with families being close; but it sounds more like money issues....

9. PGN

PGN Well-Known Member

I guess every situation is different, I don't think it really plays along culture or money all of the time.

When my mother-in-law got devorced she and her daughter (my wife) & son moved in with her parents in Cheb. About 15 years after the wall went down, the flats were put up for sale by te government for a really good price. We bought the flat, but it isn't used very much.

My mother-in-law and brother-in-law both live with us in our home. Mom has the finished basement to herself and brother-in-law has the 5th bedroom upstairs. They go back to the Czech Republic for a couple of months each year but 90% of the time they live here.

10. Dannae

Dannae Well-Known Member

I think that generations living together is pretty common in CR.
    Since I live in the US now, I am kinda afraid of the moment my kids will leave the house = to me it is not normal :cry:.