Vizovicke Pecivo

Discussion in 'Culture' started by zengac, Jul 14, 2009.

1. zengac

zengac Member

Does anyone know where I can order from in the Czech Republic, that would be willing to ship to the United States? In my research, I have found that the ornaments and decoarations made with Vizovicke Pecivo originated in the town of Vizovice, which is where my mother's grandmother was from. I would love to order some as a gift for my mother. I contacted two vendors in the Czech Republic; one told me that they cannot ship to the United States and I am waiting to hear back from the other one. This gift would mean so much to my mom. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you very much!! :D

2. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

E.g. this: Vizovické pečivo (shop), but I am not sure if they would send it abroad.
    Do it yourself or here (in Czech)
    To find more (mostly in Czech), look on Google for "vizovické pečivo"

3. zengac

zengac Member

Thank you for the suggestions. I have actually found several companies that I am communicating with. The one that I think may be able to help is one that I am waiting to hear back from. But another just wrote me and told me this: "Trochu problém je s jeho posláním. Pošta Ćeské republiky neumožńuje poslání balíku do Spojených států na dobírku - to je úhrada peněz pŕi pŕevzetí balíku. Snad by pŕicházelo v úvahu poslání peněz podle vybraného zboží na můj účet. Zaručuji čestné jednání.
    Nejlepší by bylo, kdyby snad někdo z vašeho okolí cestoval do naší republiky a mohl si vizovické pečivo vyzvednout."

Based on the translation program I am using, I interpret this to mean that the CR will not permit shiping to the US? Is that correct??? How can that be?? I must be interpretting this incorrectly!

4. eso

eso Well-Known Member

"Dobírka" is very common way in CR for delivery of goods. It's basically "cash on delivery" - Czech post deliver parcel to recipient and barter it fo money which it sends back to sender.

But this way isn't possible for delivery to USA.

So he propose you send him money to his bank account and then he will send you goods.

Fact is that sending money to bank account in Czech republic could be pricy (it depend's on bank).

5. Petronela

Petronela Well-Known Member

I had to do international wire last month and bank I went with charged me $25 to do it.
    I got quotes anywhere from $15 to $60 from few local banks and anywhere from just faxed request with signature to DNA sample of a firstborn (ok close to it :p ), so check with your bank to see what all they will need.

6. zengac

zengac Member

Thank you both very much for the replies. I am checking with my bank and places like Western Union. I now have two companies though in the CR that might be willing to ship if I can get them payment before! I hope this works! I'll keep you all posted!! :D

7. zengac

zengac Member

Okay a quick update ... I called both of my banks, one charges $40 and the other $50 .. I'm going with the $40 one! :lol: I know it's a bit much but depending on how much shipping will be (I'm waiting to hear from them about that), it might be worth it. Western Union told me that they can't do a bank to bank wire transfer to the CR, only to another Western Union location. I also did some research and found that the CR currently does not accept international money orders so the only other way to pay, other than a bank to bank wire, would be for me to purchase local currency and send but that might not be safe, or perhaps to send an international bank draft. I'll keep you all posted and thanks again!!! :D

8. eso

eso Well-Known Member

It occured to me, that you also should check US import rules for food.

It would be unpleasant if your shipment would be seized by US customs.

9. bibax

bibax Well-Known Member

The Vizovické pečivo is hardly edible. It is similarly edible like the buttons made from milk casein. :)

But as usual, hunger is the best cook. (a common Czech saying, btw)

10. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

MoneyGram also works like Western Union, but is typically cheaper. Again, I don't think they do bank-to-bank direct account transfers, though.

11. zengac

zengac Member

Well I have my shipping options now! I have been told that to ship air mail, it would be 685 (about $38 USD) and the package would arrive in about 6 days; otherwise it will take about 6 weeks but it would be 392 (about $21 USD). I'm probably better off spending the extra money to have it sent air mail so it will get here soon. It seems kind of silly to spend about $80 (between shipping and the wire fee) to buy $30 worth of goods but I really want this stuff to give to my mom!! :D I'm going to investigate perhaps another method of payment to see if I can find a cheaper option and will of course, keep you all informed! I want to thank all of you for all your help with my project. I have been looking at some of the threads on this site and find it just facsinating. Thanks to all of you who manage the site and to all who contribute to it! :D

12. zengac

zengac Member

Almost forgot .. thanks eso for bringing up a great point! I did some online research of the US Customs rules and it looks like this should be okay .. at least I hope so! Thanks though for thinking of something I had not. Everyone here is so nice.. I can't wait to introduce my mother to this site.. I just want to do it after I give her this gift so she won't know my little secret! LOL! :D

13. Petronela

Petronela Well-Known Member

Hehe yeah, I’m not sure why shipping from Czech is so expensive.
    The international wire I mentioned earlier was for a purchase also.
    Total of purchase $58, wire $25, shipping $156 :shock: .
    My husband busted out laughing and asked if they are sending over a deep-sea diver to swim it across and hand deliver. But same as you the object had incredible sentimental value so I went ahead and wired the money. I definitely would not have done it for just any other thing. But I know if shipping was not so insane I would be shopping a lot in Czech stores willing to ship here, but not when shipping is 3 times the purchase. :D

14. zengac

zengac Member

I agree Petronela! Between shipping and the cost of the money wire, it's crazy!! I think a bank to bank wire though is the safest way to get the money to them as soon as possible. I don't mind paying a little bit extra to have them send it air mail, also because otherwise I'm afraid I won't sleep until the package gets here and if that will take 6 weeks, I will be one sleepy camper by September! :lol: Now I'm just waiting for confirmation of my total and the wiring instructions and I'll be all set! I sure do hope my mom likes this!! :D

15. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

I agree. It doesn't make sense that shipping from Czech is so expensive.
    :shock:

Recently I sent some presents to a friend in an airmail package (from the US to Czech).
    Shipping via United States Post Office was less than $25.

16. dobratedy

dobratedy New Member

hi,iam from czech but living in us in florida.my town is 15 km from vizovice and was in the shop with vizovicke pecivo 2 days ago,i am in vacation.i have to come back over there tomorrow for some stuf..if u want i can buy u some pecivo and i can send that to u in us.flying back this saturday...cao jitka

17. zengac

zengac Member

What a kind offer! Thank you so much! I would hate to put you to such trouble though. The shipping is expensive but this is a very special gift and it's not something I would be ordering on a regular basis. I will certainly let you know once I receive my package. If for some reason I don't receive it, I may take you up on your offer! Thanks again, I really appreciate your thoughtful gesture. The people on this site are SO nice! :D

18. dobratedy

dobratedy New Member

ok.....i dont know when u r expecting your package,but i am flying back to us this saturday...good luck

19. zengac

zengac Member

Hello again everyone! :D Sorry I haven't been around... things in the office have gotten crazy! I am a real estate paralegal and for the first time in a while, I have been busy with real estate projects! I hope this means our lousy real estate market is on the rebound! Anyway, here's an update on my pastry project ... It's on hold! I went to my bank to initiate the wire and the bank said that the IBAN number was not correct. My vendor in the CR went to his bank to verify it but my bank still insists it's not correct so I don't know what the problem is but I obviously have to figure out a Plan B. I thought I read somewhere that the CR does not honor international money orders .. is that correct? I could try to send payment via Western Union but I don't know if there is a location near this store and would hate to have to have this guy search for one; he's less likely to want to do business with me if it's terribly inconvenient for him which I completely understand. Since he has not mentioned a PayPal or other online payment account, I don't believe he uses one so that's not an option. Then I thought I could just mail him a personal check. I realize it would take next to forever for funds to clear but that may be my only hope. Any other suggestions anyone has are most welcome! Thanks!!

20. zengac

zengac Member

Sorry .. forgot to mention one thing... my vendor suggested sending him the money via the mail and he said Euros would be better but it could be in US dollars as well. I also thought I read somewhere that the CZ does not accept Euros.. is that true or did I misunderstand something? Also, if he can accept Euros, wouldn't I then be able to send a money order in Euros?