In Prague next week, any festivals?

Discussion in 'Culture' started by DoDAH, Oct 2, 2009.

1. DoDAH

DoDAH Member

My wife and I will be in Prague for a few days next week. When we travel, we typically like to find the things the "tourists" never see. We're not the trinket buyers, or bermuda shorts and camera couple. Wondering if there are some interesting little festivals, events, or just out-of-the ordinary places we may want to take in. I'll have a phrase-book but don't mind struggling with the language.

Thanks for your pointers!

2. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

I don't have suggestion on places, but if you are going to try to speak the language, I suggest you listen to it as much as possible. It's a difficult one to speak. 8)

3. DoDAH

DoDAH Member

ruka ruku myje ... I may use that phrase! Thanks!

4. DoDAH

DoDAH Member

ruka ruku myje ...especially if I have an itchy back! :D

5. Ctyri koruny

Ctyri koruny Well-Known Member

Ah but it means literally "one hand washes another!"
    it is similar to our "I'll scratch your back..." that's where the mix up comes in I think.

6. DoDAH

DoDAH Member

I think I'll stick to literal translations! I may wind up offending someone asking if they'll wash my hands! :? But seriously, are outdoor festivals or street fairs rare? I've been to a few other sites (PragueTV , nice but generally older posts) which have a decent schedule of arts events (musicians, theatre, lectures, etc) but I don't see any outdoor community types events (eg art sales). Will be beer gardens still be open in early October?

7. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

Don't know about festivals but for something different you might like a boat trip up the Vltava to the Prague Zoo for a day (the boat runs on weekends in October - you can also get there by bus anyday). The zoo is quite nice, ranked as one of the top ten in the world.
    Another thing to think about is taking in a local sports venue (Ice Hockey comes to mind - there are two major teams in Prague, Sparta and Slavia).
    You also might want to check out having a late afternoon lunch at the restaurant in the TV tower - the view can't be topped.
    Flea markets are also an option - I'm not too familiar with them so perhaps someone else on the forum can give you a heads-up.

Enjoy your visit!

8. meluzina

meluzina Well-Known Member

you can take a look at http://www.czecot.com/en/

they have all sorts of categories of interest - there's even a calendar on there somewhere

9. DoDAH

DoDAH Member

:D Just returned home last week. Amazing. I visited Prague, Esztogram (sp), St. Andrews, Vienna and Budapeste. I have to admit that by far, my favorite was Prague! I'm ready to go back anytime.

Wasn't able to visit a sports venue, but did manage to enjoy the HUGE parade of Polska fans marching past our hotel (InterContinental) on thier way towards the highly charged Polish/Czech game. On the old town square earlier in the day, there were plenty of "riot police" but not a single incedent. The Polska fans seemed to keep to themselves and in fact, were every bit as pleasant as anyone else (identifiable by their red/white POLSKA scarves).

Bottom line: We walked as far and wide as we could to see and enjoy as much as we could in 3 short days. In my opinion, if anyone is looking to experience "old Europe" and isn't interested in the Boss/Versace big-city generic experience...you might enjoy Prague more than you could possibly imagine.