Co se děje tady na Myczechu?

Discussion in 'Culture' started by scrimshaw, Sep 22, 2012.

1. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

Něco nového na vaše krásné země? Už nemúžete pít alkoholu? Naslechl jsem, že je tam v alkoholu takový jed?

2. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Ahoj!

Můžeme kupovat jen pivo a víno. Prodej (nikoli konzumace) tvrdého alkoholu je na nějakou dobu zakázaný. Koukni na náš blog. Ale nevadí nám to, užíváme si krásný podzim. :)

Dana

3. scrimshaw

Thanks, Jano, best to stay away from that hard liquor anyway. Maybe that's a blessing in disguise. Hey, heard something else on the news. The Czech president was approached in a crowd and shot with a BB or pellet gun. His body guards were seemingly completely unaware of the incident. That was a real breakdown in protection. Glad you are enjoying a nice Autumn. Bet it's beautiful.

4. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Some affairs, some imprisoned politicians, some elections. Just business as usual.

5. scrimshaw

Funny :) , život jde dál. ESO glad you are still there. But there are big happenings on this side of the pond. Lots of electioneering. Taking sides and rooting for our man. Hmmm, who is going to be victorious on November 7? Only time will tell, but I sure got my preferences. Go Romney!!
    Jen Bůh ví, co se bude dít zítra. Ale držím palce.

6. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Don't worry, scrimshaw, we know. All the world knows.

When Romney wins, he will dominate China, creates millions of jobs (also in China, presumably ;) , bomb Iran and all drivers in America will be allowed to transport their dogs on roof of their cars ;)

I like your enthusiasm and your belief, that choice Obama/Romney actually means anything :)

BTW - What's your opinion? Are corporations people or not?

7. scrimshaw

Glad to hear you guys are hearing about our little election over here, but it's funny that the exaggeration and overzealous attempts at scandal are the known topics. Political season, time to pick your side and do all you can to demean the other side. That's how it usually goes, but I really don't like that style of politics. I'd rather hear the positives that each side has to offer, then we can vote on their agendas. All the negative stuff makes people kind of disgusted with the whole process.
    Eso, the choice we have this year is huge. And I believe that choice will make a big difference. We are voting between the idea of a big, bloated government that takes care of all our needs or a small government that stays out of the way and lets business prosper, growing the economy.(We have a saying, "A rising tide raises all boats"(if the economy is growing then more jobs are being created and people are finding employment)(everybody improves). One of those choices leads to heavier taxes and bigger debts, the other to less taxation and a more robust economy. People dependent on government programs or independent people in a free market(laissez faire).
    Your question about corporations.....well, it is, literally, true that a corporation is not a person, but it is certainly made up of the interest of a lot of people. It was the supreme court that made that decision, so my little two cents(small opinion) don't matter much. A lot of people disagree with that decision. It all revolves around the matter of "free speech", so legal wording is important. The question then arises; Is a union a person, or an organization made up of a bunch of people? The unions throw huge amounts of money into the political process.
    All will be decided in only 16 days.
    Big debate tomorrow night.
    Go Romney!!

8. eso

eso Well-Known Member

World is small nowadays thanks to the internet. :)
    World is also watching you (even if you don't watch the world)

I read Washington Post, New York Times etc on a regular basis. I also watch US talk shows. (I've got a Kindle too :)

It seems to me it's same rhetoric on every election (same here in Czech republic), but all right. Personally I don't understand, how you can pay your existing debt without rising taxes, but nevermind.

What about bailout your car manufacturers and banks got from government? Did you agree with that, or you would let them fall?

I would actually like to see Romney to fulfill his promises, but I think Obama will be winner - he is more charismatic and it's important for American voters. But we will see.

9. eso

eso Well-Known Member

By the way, congratulation to Mars Curiosity program, it's wonderful scientific success and I watched landing in real time and it was amazing.

I like this chart:

[​IMG]

10. scrimshaw

Ahoj v dalekém Kladně, completely agree with you about the amazing Mars missions. Man's unending curiosity is propelling us out into the stars. Those unmanned missions provide a great wealth of knowledge. It is all very exciting to watch.
    Aha, but that is the trick, if the economy produces more jobs, then that means there are a greater number of people working/ paying taxes/not collecting unemployment benefits. That greater number of tax payers can produce more funds into the treasury than raising taxes on the smaller amount of people working in a non growing/stagnant economy. Raising taxes takes money out of the economy, money that could have been used by individuals to invest/spend/create their own businesses/hire more emplyees. Republicans feel individuals know how to spend their money more efficiently than the government.
    To your question about auto company bailouts. No body wanted to see them fail. The question was how to save them and make them stronger in the end.
    Obama's plan was to loan taxpayer money to these companies, thus becoming financially invested in them(something that governments should not do) and then hope they recover and pay back all the funds. It is a myth that Romney would have let them fail. What he proposed was a structured bankruptcy, one where banks and the businesses would have worked out an agreement on their own to pay back debts and make necessary cuts to spending(no government involvement). This is how it has always been done here. It is Capitalism.
    This is the editorial written by Romney in the NY Times in 2008 that created all the controversy. He said nothing about let them fail and go away.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/19/opini ... .html?_r=0

If you actually bother to read the article, this will help...Big Three means the three largest american auto manufacturers....Ford, General Motors and Chrysler....It is still yet to be seen whether the auto corporations have learned the lesson for long term stability.

The bank failures were due to easy lending policies that insured that people, that were not financially worthy of such big loans, could find themselves in big fancy homes out of their class(so to speak). People had overbought and the market plunged when the markets realized that those loans were now in jeopardy. Panic!
    I have oversimplified, the issue is so convoluted it is near impossible to explain and I am, admittedly, no expert.
    But, the good news is, ESO, that better days are ahead. I repeat, Go Romney!

11. scrimshaw

Ahoj v dalekém Kladně, completely agree with you about the amazing Mars missions. Man's unending curiosity is propelling us out into the stars. Those unmanned missions provide a great wealth of knowledge. It is all very exciting to watch.
    Aha, but that is the trick, if the economy produces more jobs, then that means there are a greater number of people working/ paying taxes/not collecting unemployment benefits. That greater number of tax payers can produce more funds into the treasury than raising taxes on the smaller amount of people working in a non growing/stagnant economy. Raising taxes takes money out of the economy, money that could have been used by individuals to invest/spend/create their own businesses/hire more emplyees. Republicans feel individuals know how to spend their money more efficiently than the government.
    To your question about auto company bailouts. No body wanted to see them fail. The question was how to save them and make them stronger in the end.
    Obama's plan was to loan taxpayer money to these companies, thus becoming financially invested in them(something that governments should not do) and then hope they recover and pay back all the funds. It is a myth that Romney would have let them fail. What he proposed was a structured bankruptcy, one where banks and the businesses would have worked out an agreement on their own to pay back debts and make necessary cuts to spending(no government involvement). This is how it has always been done here. It is Capitalism.
    This is the editorial written by Romney in the NY Times in 2008 that created all the controversy. He said nothing about let them fail and go away.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/19/opini ... .html?_r=0

If you actually bother to read the article, this will help...Big Three means the three largest american auto manufacturers....Ford, General Motors and Chrysler....It is still yet to be seen whether the auto corporations have learned the lesson for long term stability.

The bank failures were due to easy lending policies that insured that people, that were not financially worthy of such big loans, could find themselves in big fancy homes out of their class(so to speak). People had overbought and the market plunged when the markets realized that those loans were now in jeopardy. Panic!
    I have oversimplified, the issue is so convoluted it is near impossible to explain and I am, admittedly, no expert.
    But, the good news is, ESO, that better days are ahead. I repeat, Go Romney!

12. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Hi, scrimshaw, sorry for delay I had busy week.

I actually agree with you, if taxes for ALL was cut it probably would lead to your predicted outcome. But do Republicans really want to cut taxes for all Americans, or they want just do it for party's sponsors, the Big Business?

Thanks. It's partially logical and clear solution from businessman. Why partially? Because most effective solution would be transfer manufacturing to cheaper location, like China.

He didn't mention it for political reasons and he also didn't mention, what would cuting 2000 dollars per car would do with unemployment numbers. If you are unemployed, you can't buy things and services and keep economy wheels in motion.

Here I again agree with you, it was government, who against economy rules supported cheap mortgages, namely Housing and Community Development Act of 1992 signed by president George H.W. Bush. In 1999 Clinton administration pressured to expand mortgage loans to low and moderate income borrowers.

The crisis was cooked for long time with help of both parties. Maybe you need some new party, new faces, to broke the circle, but your two party system is so old and so stuck it probably isn't possible.

13. scrimshaw

Hey Eso, I'm enjoying the conversation. Glad you have so much interest in, and knowledge of, our little affairs over here. To me the line is very clear. This country is at a crossroads. So I had absolutely no trouble making my decision. I even go out and wave signs on the side of the road trying to build up enthusiasm. It is fun. We get lots of honks and thumbs up, and some thumbs down, and the ever funny 'F.... Romney' or 'Romney s....',... they are bitter people. American politics...what a gas(fun experience).

The matter of taxes.... He wants to lower Corporate tax rate from 35% to 25% and he wants to lower taxes for individuals. Here is something you might not know.... 97% of federal taxes collected come from the top 50% of wage earners, the lower 50% pay little to none and often receive refunds. You will find a chart here that clearly shows that...

http://www.ntu.org/tax-basics/who-pays- ... taxes.html

I don't know how interested you are in this topic, but if you are a real 'glutton for punishment' you can read through this...

http://www.mittromney.com/issues/tax

This country has already lost so much of it's manufacturing base. To lose our auto companies and all the jobs they provide would be a travesty(that will not happen) Global free trade is a good thing, but it also has it's cost. Good jobs are exported to countries with lower labor costs.

And you are absolutely right. The big mortgage bust has been brewing a long time and both parties can surely take part of the blame. But hopefully lessons have been learned. It has been a long struggle trying to get out that big hole, but in our opinion President Obama's policies have not helped, to the contrary, they have hurt. That is why this election is so important. We see America currently in decline, but we know it can be great again with the right person leading.
    Do I sound a little too idealistic, overly enthusiastic? It's the way I feel.

If a third party gets strong enough to compete with the Democrats and Republicans it will be, in my opinion, the Libertarians. They are big on very small government(this means the government's only powers are limited to those given in the constitution)(believe it or not, we have strayed from the writer's of that document's original intent) and that is good, we republicans believe that too, but that party is also isolationist, not being involved in world affairs, shrinking America's military presence. America has done a lot of good around the world.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ele ... _blog.html

BTW..I used to be a Democrat, but the democratic party left me, I didn't leave it.

Jen nám zbývá devět dny. Co se nám v dlaně drží budoucnost?

14. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Just short answers:

All other developed countries have to restructure theirs industry to new technologies. Their workers can't compete in manufacturing with Chinese workers, but real future are robots. No one can compete them. Wait when robotic car becomes norm - then even drivers lost their jobs.

You actually doing it very good (Google, Apple, etc...), but not quick enough.

Primary goal has to be good education for all social classes.

I saw how they cut off microphones for Ron Paul supporters on republican convention.

China will grow larger :)

15. eso

eso Well-Known Member

16. scrimshaw

You're right. That is an interesting article. Opinion around the world really varies. I remember under Bush that the president of France at the time seemed to particularly dislike America.
    Still, even though there seems to be doubt about how important America will be in international affairs, there seems to be
    great interest in the outcome of tomorrow's election. China is defintely growing and spreading it's influence(it is making big steps into east Africa in an attempt to get rescources.)

http://www.africanmanager.com/site_eng/ ... t_id=19171

That's what is causing that disaster of an idea of buiding a road through the Serengetti.

Back to the subject.....The polls show this race to be very close. Romney has the momentum, and is speaking of big positive things. In my opinion, much more inspirational.
    Some say it will be a larger than expected win for Romney. I hope they are right.
    Maybe you don't know this....The most important thing in american politics is the 'electoral college'. Each state is given a number of votes, according to it's population. Whichever candidate reaches the number of 270 (that number being the majority of available electoral votes) wins. Florida has 29 electoral votes, little New Hampshire has only three. It is possible to win the popular vote(the number of individual votes), but not win the mandatory majority of get electoral college votes. This happened in the Bush Gore race in 2000.
    I'm thinking Romney will win, and that will be very good for America, and, if I can say this, for the world. Because I think an economically strong America can help lead the world out of this global economic slump.
    We shall see what the future holds.
    Tomorrow is a very big day.
    PS
    Here is someone running for a congressional seat in Florida who I really like. Unfortunately I can't vote for him because he is not in my district.
    https://snt002.mail.live.com/m/messages ... 7Z&mr=True

17. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm aware of that, I even remember Bush/Gore race.
    But doesn't it all depend on Ohio voters only anyway? :)

I think Obama has now better chance because of hurrican Sandy (I hope you and your family weren't affected)

Unfortunately I can't see this page - it wants login from me.

18. scrimshaw

Thanks for your concern. No, we were not effected at all by Sandy. But the northeast, as you know, was devastated, from Long Island down to the southern New Jersy shore. Lots of people suffering. And the cold temperatures only making it much worse. So many still don't have electricity. A disaster similar to Katrina.
    Yes, I see you are paying a lot of attention to our election, Ohio is very important. One of the main 'swing' states(some years it votes republican, some years democrat.) But there are so many opinions, and predictions of which state will vote for whom, that it just seems impossible at this point to confidently predict the outcome.
    Here's one very optimistic prediction.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/romney ... /id/462770

I think I know why that other link didn't work. This will probably open for you....
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AllenWestFL

19. eso

eso Well-Known Member

20. eso

eso Well-Known Member

So, it's done.