The Czech look

Discussion in 'Culture' started by skate007, Apr 24, 2005.

1. skate007

skate007 Active Member

What does a Czech person typically look like? What make them different from other countries? Hair color, eye color, skinny, normal, heavier; tall, short; light or dark skin? I am just having difficulty finding pictures of Czech people and was curious when someone came up to me and thought was part Czech (but I’m not)! Thanks for your help.\
    ~Kaitlyn

2. Usal

Usal Well-Known Member

Ahoj Kaitlyn, Czech people look like any other people, nothing that I would say distinguishes them from the rest of the world. If you want to look at some pics of Czech people, I put some pics I took on holiday on my fiancée’s web site here: http://www.gabi-z.com. Look on the family and friends page and on the photo gallery page.
    Believe it or not people have asked me if I was Czech. Lol

Michael

3. evian

evian Well-Known Member

I have noticed (and also read) that the cheekbones of Czech, Slovakian & Hungarian people tend to be more defined - which makes them very attractive. I have also noticed many Czech men tend to grow moustaches, well at least more than what they do here in Australia. There is no distinct hair colour, although a large majority of Czechs have light brown hair.
    Jason

4. uuspoiss

uuspoiss Well-Known Member

It seems to me that the concentration of brown eyes is higher than elsewhere. Might be just an impression though...

5. GFous

GFous Member

My wife, who is not Czech, swears she can see resemblances among the Czech peoples and indeed ancestral pictures. Two hundred years ago it was more common for any people to have similarities. With globalization and ease of travel, these similarities have akk but disappeared.

I agree with previous comment of higher or more defined cheekbones, a more chiseled look being a more prevalent trait.

G.

6. szarkafarka

szarkafarka Well-Known Member

Usal wrote:
    Michael (Usal) mystifies us. It seems that the friends of Gabi are not Czechs. At the very least the invisible man in the picture. The others have no Czech names, too.
    [​IMG].

7. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

Well, the "invisible" man on this picture is Michael himself... :)

8. Usal

Usal Well-Known Member

As far as I know everyone in the pictures are Czech (except me). I have actually done a little photo enhancement to all of the pics since I posted those on Gabi's site so I'm not so "invisible." And I don't think a name defines you as a Czech or not.

btw Thanks Jana for making me "visible" :D

Michael

9. szarkafarka

szarkafarka Well-Known Member

O.K. Names like Yenni and Dave don't sound too Czech.

BTW, Gabi herself seems to be of the Slavic type, which is rather common in Poland and Russia than in the C.R. The prevalent type in Bohemia is Alpine, which is also common in Bavaria, Austria, France (some regions), Luxembourg, etc.

10. Usal

Usal Well-Known Member

I see what you mean about the names.

11. metamorph

metamorph Member

Hi,

I recently did a course in Prague. I had a good photograph of the students (all adult). There were 14 students in the photo, 2 of whom were Czech. When I returned to the UK I asked 2 Czech friends if they could identify the Czech students in the picture. One manged to pick one at the seventh attempt and the other took 10 attempts before identifying one. Perhaps this helps answer the question.

12. zerotonine

zerotonine New Member

I don't know .. since I'm Czech, I do notice that there is an "Eastern EU" look. Maybe it's the expressions on the faces, or the clothes, etc .. This is harder to tell from a photo, but in real life, without speaking, the body language can give people away. As mentioned, the cheekbones is one characteristic. The other, esp. for people from smaller cities is that they often have a style/fashion seemingly dating back to the 80s?? Kinda like spotting Texans or people from the Mid-West lets say! ;)
    No offense to anybody, doesn't really make any difference - just an observation.

13. Sílený Jízda

Sílený Jízda Active Member

When I visit czech I can normally see the ones that are not Czech. When I was over there with a group of friends, all american, I had alot of interesting encounters. Usually they were the ones that were pointed at and what not. Also, I had more folks stopping to ask me for directions than the others. The wife said I blend in better in Czech than my friends since I have a more european look in my face and the way I dress. Go figgure.

14. I know a few czechs (the love of my life included) and I can't really say that they have a distinct look about them. Not like Italians or Greeks with the olive complexion or with Spanish men. When I first met most of my friends, before I heard the accents, I would have thought they were Americans. They are very every day looking. The love of my life on the other hand, is a bit paler with green eyes and I must agree on the cheek bone thing. His give his face more defintion. And the eyes. Other than that, I can't say there is anything that sets czechs apart, other than their personalities. I have found them to be quite personable once you get them to actually sit down and talk and very affectionate once they decide that you're worth the effort to care about. They go all out. That's what I would say sets them apart, not their looks. 8)

15. Sílený Jízda

Sílený Jízda Active Member

From what I've seen with them it's facial features. I notice the small details that make them stand out but have a hard time describing what they are. Definatly the cheekbones are a difference. I also see small variations in the eyes, mouth, and strong nose features that set czech's apart from others.

16. I must agree with you on the aspect that you notice little things but can't really describe what they are. His eyes are what stand out to me more than his cheek bones or anything else. When I look at him, I can see so many different things but it just all blends together so beautifully that I just sit in awe when I look at him. I have known a few czechs in my life and he is not the first I have dated. But one thing I can say is that for the most part, czech men are gorgeous!! I have seen very few that were NOT "easy on the eyes"!! :D I haven't really seen many czech women so I can't tell you if they have a distinct look or not, just the men. And what a look they have!! Combined with the accent and personalities, it's so good it's scandalous!! :mrgreen:

17. iluvuma1

iluvuma1 Well-Known Member

The Czechs I know all look like Americans. They vary from dark hair and hazel/brown eyes- but the typical Czech I think is more nordic looking. I think this type definitely have prominent high cheekbones, and more tend to have longer pointed noses. And fuller lips with a wider mouth. The women dress more provacatively then the average American woman. Tighter clothes, more cleavage, and short skirts. The men also wear their jeans tighter. The women I know, (mostly in their late twenties and early thirties) don't wear too much makeup but take care in keeping up thier appearance.

18. vankova

vankova New Member

Ahoj, so I had to put my to send my 2-cents worth in regards to these posts on "Czech" physcial features seeing as my Father's fam. is from the Czech Rep. They come from Dřevec, CR near Pilsen. ANYWHO, I was struck by some of these posts mentioning high cheek bones, the brown and green eyes, and thin noses thing because in my Czech fam. this is all VERY true!

I have inherited very high cheek bones which I don't know if you can really see in my Black and White photo I have in my profile. I also have brown eyes which I did get from the Czech side of my family- everyone in this family either have brown, hazel, or green eyes. They also have very long skinny noses. Which I also inherited. The thing that is pretty typical on the Czech side of my fami. is being very tall, had a aunt that was 6 feet 3 inches. I unfortunately did not inherit the tallness of this side! LOL :cry:

When I was in the CR I noticed that physical features tended to change depending upon the region that you were in, I had the opportunity to travel all over CR from Zlin, to Jablou nes nad Nissou, Winiperk, and Prague.

Ciao,
    Vankova

19. rhenium3

rhenium3 Active Member

I too will agree that there are small details that are hard to explain. Besides the eyes and cheek bones I'd say the strong jaw also is a bit Czech. In the airport sometimes I can spot Czechs... other times I have no idea though. Some Czechs look more Czech than others, but I think that is the same everywhere you go...

20. Irish_student

Irish_student Active Member

I find that a lot of czech male teenagers look like pavel nedved...but that might just be me :D