Czech Courting customs (not wedding customs)

Talk about Czech customs, traditions, holidays, books, and the Czech way of life.

Moderators: Sova, gementricxs, Dana

RachelMacgregor

Postby RachelMacgregor » 08-Feb-06 20:51

gementricxs wrote:Magan, some men changed, some not.
You are Czech, so you should understand Slovak, right?
Go to the website of Slovak TV Markiza and at the top menu choose tv archív and then show Zámena manželiek and show from 7.2.2006. I don't know whether you are familiar with this show or not. Basically it's reality show where families "swap" wifes. One wife go for 10 days to the second family and the other wife go to the first family.
Definitely go to the website and watch it. It's even worse than you're saying.
The man treat the wife like a maid. He's complaining that she didn't prepare breakfast on time, that she make the bed badly, that the bin is full, that on the mirror is stain and so on. She's really like a maid and DID NOTHING to help her, to help with preparing food and other things.
I was really astonished whe I saw it, it's hard to believe that it's true. Anyway you'll see for yourself.

Thank you, but I'm American, actually. :D We have a very similar show here, the families are usually very different in social status and personality to make it interesting. I'm amazed at the people sometimes, that they could actually exist. I've seen some who were very rich, and much more cruel to their families than the poor ones. Strange show. I may look at that one, just to see how it is different/the same as our show.
Thank you for your help.
magan

Postby magan » 08-Feb-06 21:32

gementricxs: I have been in Prague for three months last Fall/Winter and have seen most of the shows. I found them VERY interesting. After so many years living overseas I am still intriqued by cultural differences between me and my Czech women friends - mainly their attitude towards men.

I had also experienced my own reality show with my first husband (Czech). :)
magan

Postby magan » 08-Feb-06 23:45

WOW this is Slovak version of the show. Thank you.
brook

Postby brook » 10-Feb-06 15:50

magan wrote:
As to "courting by Czech men".........I have been around the block few times (with Czechs and Canadians) and don't have much to say to "romance". Czech men did not strike me as particularly romantic - customary shortest way to have sex (three dates?) and then weasel into situation where they can be "at home" where they both would stay in bed (she would cook meals for him without his help).

wow. I know not all czech men are like this, but this sounds soooo familiar... (your entire post, not just this part!).
JakiL

Postby JakiL » 28-Feb-06 4:26

Why does TallElf say you should switch it to a CZ woman courting a CAN man? I am a CAN woman married to a CZ man and I find the comment odd to say the least...

Czech men, in my experience with my husband and also from what I have seen from Czech relatives, etc, are not the most romantic men in the world. They express love more from a place of gentle appreciation than from an overly outward expression of romantic love.

That being said, I wouldn't be inclined to label Canadian men as the most romantic blokes on the planet either so all is good.... And romance doesn't necessarily mean that a man is a worthy long term life parner, it is a piece in an overall picture.

Anyways, that is my take.
iluvuma1

Postby iluvuma1 » 28-Feb-06 21:28

Courtship? Is there such a thing for Czech men (ha!) My husband of almost two years and I have had our fair share of culture clash and have managed to both compromise.
He is a very good man, overall- however he definitely has the stated "traits" described in this topic.
He very much expects me to do all the domestic chores (even though I work full time.) I have him trained to share duties- but he still grumbles when its his turn to clean the bathroom. I think he has washed his own dishes a total of two times in two years.
Czech men have thier pluses, however. They are to my understanding more apt to spend time with families doing simpler things. Picnics, sports, that type of thing. They are very hard workers- but it is hard to get them to part with money.
Do NOT expect any kind of greeting card for Valentine's Day, birthday- because if they are there- to a Czech man it is redundant to give a card. And wasteful. Gifts in general are small scale. Czechs are big savers (almost hoarding thier money). My guess is because their parents groomed them to prepare for hard times. It is considered extravagant and unneccessary to spend money on expensive restaurants and presents.
Hope this helps your analysis for your book...
Oh, and lastly- no over indulgent affection or saying I love you every day... It is rare for him/his friends to express "love" openly. It is more of a thing that is assumed.
JakiL

Postby JakiL » 28-Feb-06 21:37

I love the latest post - the reference to spending is all too familiar!

Although my hubby tells me he luvs me a lot :wink:
iluvuma1

Postby iluvuma1 » 28-Feb-06 21:47

Czech humor is different than North American humor. (I'm going to lump Canada and US together here.) My husband appreciates irony more than me. He will sit through a lot of American comedies and barely crack a smile. (Slapstick, farting etc. escapes him a bit.) Same goes if I watch a Czech movie that is supposed to be funny.
Also Czech men are more likely to have an opinion on your clothes, hairstyle, etc. They have more of an appreciation of decorating and in my opinion are a bit more feminine. My husband enjoys decorating cakes, etc. However- it may just be him.
ultraspunk

Postby ultraspunk » 08-Mar-06 20:13

actually...The female is supposed to bring the flower.....We are different that way.
iluvuma1

Postby iluvuma1 » 08-Mar-06 20:20

Is that true or are you joking? I am not surprised. My husband has told me that for his birthday all he ever got (or wanted for that matter) was flowers from his mother's garden and birthday cake.

He in general appreciates flowers/gardening much more so than most American men I know.